The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

What's The Future Of Our Children?

Started by Henry, November 04, 2012, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Henry

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and this made a little ruckus but I hope it won't make any problems.

I don't blame technology as the culprit in making our society to deteriorate. I think Jeffersonian has a point that many individuals, but not all, today don't think for themselves and just swallow what the media tells us. I watched the documentary the Big Fix, about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and it makes me wonder why majority of the people believe what they were told even though they are not sure whether it is the truth or not.

I will try to teach my child to scrutinize what is good and what is bad in anything that he does. Whether it might be eating at a fast food or cooking his own food to buying a house or just renting a room.

Securious

Quote from: "Henry"Thanks a lot for the suggestions and this made a little ruckus but I hope it won't make any problems.

I don't blame technology as the culprit in making our society to deteriorate. I think Jeffersonian has a point that many individuals, but not all, today don't think for themselves and just swallow what the media tells us. I watched the documentary the Big Fix, about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and it makes me wonder why majority of the people believe what they were told even though they are not sure whether it is the truth or not.

I will try to teach my child to scrutinize what is good and what is bad in anything that he does. Whether it might be eating at a fast food or cooking his own food to buying a house or just renting a room.

Technology in itself is benign silly its the people behind it. We are not able to put intrinsic and innate intelligence to work anymore as we are forced to delegate it to such machines [in schools]. The system doesn't allow for human evolvement..its been removed. sounds obscure doesn't it, well I'm not doing it on purpose it is the simplest way I can explain it. Man is devolving and abdicating intelligence. Such is our future. Human evolvement must happen intrinsically indeed organically to fulfill genuine desires to succeed.

Securious

Quote from: "OrientalTreasure"While I don't expect we will return to a frontier society, teaching self-sufficiency skills is always a good idea.  You just never know when you'll need those skills.

You have missed my point. I'm not advocating turning back the pages of time but to ask serious questions as to where we are going.

Wakawaka

I can't say I don't enjoy technology because I do. However, I also know how to be self sufficient and provide for my family. If you live too far away from the land, you wouldn't be able to learn quickly enough if there is a breakdown of society.

Securious

Henry

Quote from: "Securious"
Quote from: "Henry"Thanks a lot for the suggestions and this made a little ruckus but I hope it won't make any problems.

Technology in itself is benign silly its the people behind it. We are not able to put intrinsic and innate intelligence to work anymore as we are forced to delegate it to such machines [in schools]. The system doesn't allow for human evolvement..its been removed. sounds obscure doesn't it, well I'm not doing it on purpose it is the simplest way I can explain it. Man is devolving and abdicating intelligence. Such is our future. Human evolvement must happen intrinsically indeed organically to fulfill genuine desires to succeed.

I somewhat agree with you because students nowadays rely on spell check of the software they are using when they are writing. They don't even bother checking the spelling themselves because they think that the computer knows better. I guess we need to limit our children with the use of technology and only give them the devices that are really necessary.

Securious

The fault is the system itself not the parents. Parents only follow what is expected of them. One cant love their language and its usage unless its taught correctly which includes spelling of course. Tyre instead of Tire for  example. By default slang is thrown in as acceptable usage without an option to understand where it's coming from.  We need to teach our children to discriminate good from bad, make good choices in life, to question the origins of our mores [this includes language] and of course the keystone, ..DEBATE.

Securious

Oddly enough some of the best Classic English Schools are found in India for example. An environment where there is a genuine love for the English language and cultural heritage.