Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

I drove a motorcycle.

Started by Tatterdamelion, April 07, 2015, 11:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatterdamelion

I drove a motorcycle for the first time yesterday. My friend said people do not drive motorcycles they ride motorcycles. He said I was a natural rider because I understand how to drive a manual shifting car. This morning before breakfast I went to ride on the dirt road by myself. I did not go very fast but I went far in the valley and when i returned I ate pancakes with chocolate milk. He said I should ride only with supervision of another motorcycle rider with experience with me. I promised to wake him up early next time. He did not want to get up early so he said it was OK if I ride alone. It is a sunny day and I will ride again later.

Romero

Motorcycle ride, pancakes and chocolate milk... that's pretty sweet!

Anonymous

Troll or not, two wheels can be fun!  Especially if you don't have to pedal!

And yes, you 'ride' a cycle.  Cars are 'driven'...  Don't worry though.  Guys that have been riding for years will still talk about their 'drives' around the block on their bikes!~

Anonymous

I am very close to insuring my Sportster for six months.  Oil change, and a wipe down, and it should be good to go.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tatterdamelion"I drove a motorcycle for the first time yesterday. My friend said people do not drive motorcycles they ride motorcycles. He said I was a natural rider because I understand how to drive a manual shifting car. This morning before breakfast I went to ride on the dirt road by myself. I did not go very fast but I went far in the valley and when i returned I ate pancakes with chocolate milk. He said I should ride only with supervision of another motorcycle rider with experience with me. I promised to wake him up early next time. He did not want to get up early so he said it was OK if I ride alone. It is a sunny day and I will ride again later.

Son't you find it too cold to ride a motorbike in Alberta Tatterdamelion?

Tatterdamelion

It was cold when the sun came up this morning but motorbiking clothes my friend let me borrow was warm. I was sweating a bit because of the physical effort and being nervous at riding alone. The sun was warm soon after I left and I avoided going in the shady parts of the road. I was riding again this afternoon and it was 8 degrees.It was a beautiful day.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tatterdamelion"It was cold when the sun came up this morning but motorbiking clothes my friend let me borrow was warm. I was sweating a bit because of the physical effort and being nervous at riding alone. The sun was warm soon after I left and I avoided going in the shady parts of the road. I was riding again this afternoon and it was 8 degrees.It was a beautiful day.

I am happy you enjoyed yourself and you were safe Tatterdamelion.

ac_smile

Leopardsocks

Solo riding as a learner is the same as Russian roulette...

5 chambers are empty, but the one that isn't will hurt you BIG.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leopardsocks"Solo riding as a learner is the same as Russian roulette...

5 chambers are empty, but the one that isn't will hurt you BIG.

Anyone learning to ride is a "solo rider."

Sure, the supervisor is supposed to have them in 'line of sight,' but let's be realistic...  What are they going to do?

There's only one way to learn to ride, and that's to jump on and go.

Anonymous

I am German, so genetically I have the ability to grasp all modes of land transport quite easily.

Others aren't, and do not have this ability.  Realistically, and all kidding aside, most new riders should probably take a motorcycle safety course with a group.  (Lots of women there also, I notice!)

I started riding dirtbikes early on, so transitioning to a heavy street bike was easy for me.

Things can go wrong really fast on two wheels of the powered variety...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lucky Number 8"I am German, so genetically I have the ability to grasp all modes of land transport quite easily.

Others aren't, and do not have this ability.  Realistically, and all kidding aside, most new riders should probably take a motorcycle safety course with a group.  (Lots of women there also, I notice!)

I started riding dirtbikes early on, so transitioning to a heavy street bike was easy for me.

Things can go wrong really fast on two wheels of the powered variety...

I am Chinese which means anything you are able to do, we do better. After all, we do have larger brains than crackas. ac_razz

Anonymous

You Chinese even stripped down a German luxury vehicle a few years back, to every nut and bolt, and actually recreated nearly every piece new in-house.

You essentially "stole" the design of every part, and recreated it.

Do you know why it didn't succeed?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lucky Number 8"You Chinese even stripped down a German luxury vehicle a few years back, to every nut and bolt, and actually recreated nearly every piece new in-house.

You essentially "stole" the design of every part, and recreated it.

Do you know why it didn't succeed?

Who stripped it down, where? Actually, I don't care.

Anonymous

It didn't succeed because a fine luxury vehicle is more than just numbers.  Asians are great with numbers.

You could not recreate that vehicle, because you cannot "feel" the beauty in your hands.  You cannot "feel" the total of all parts combined.

You could not "tune" that vehicle to feel beautiful to drive.  It was just about the numbers.

And as such, most wealthy Asians simply buy real BMW's or Mercedes!  Here in Van, it is their "go to" make...  You like 'em.  Only Germans can build them.  That FEEL!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lucky Number 8"It didn't succeed because a fine luxury vehicle is more than numbers.  Asians are great with numbers.

You could not recreate that vehicle, because you cannot "feel" the beauty in your hands.  You cannot "feel" the total of all parts combined.

You cannot "tune" that vehicle to feel beautiful to drive.  It was just about the numbers.

And as such, most wealthy Asians simply buy real BMW's or Mercedes!  Here in Van, it is their "go to" make...  You like 'em.  Only Germans can build them.  That FEEL!

A lot of German cars are built in China. Not all luxury models of course.