Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Cost of Politicking

Started by RW, April 09, 2015, 02:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

I did hear something on that, but seems more could have been done ..... we elect people to do things ... even to change / update laws

I resent being stuck with OLD unchangeable laws.

My guess is that provinces would have ageed .. can't see why they would not . anyhow, if we can't change ANY laws we do not live in a true or "real" democracy .. and the word democracy becomes only a sham / scam
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Did Harpo not promise and in fact run on "senate reform"  . followed by trumpets full bore.... "senate reform" which he defined as having members be elected instead of appointed?

He went silent on that of late and  strangely I have seen no press person or anyone call him on it

I thought that was the Reform Party that want a triple E senate. Didn't that policy get shelved when the PC party and Canadian Alliance merged?

easter bunny

I think the original idea for the Senate was to put people in there who have the integrity to do the right thing for the country and who can't be bribed by a few pieces of gold or dissuaded by fears of being ousted in the next election. The real problem is the successive appointment of party hacks and bag-men who don't serve anyone but themselves.

For abolitionists the toughest hurdle to overcome is not all that hard to achieve when there's a constant stream of bad news coming out:

Quote from: "General procedure for amending Constitution of Canada"(b) resolutions of the legislative assemblies of at least two-thirds of the provinces that have, in the aggregate, according to the then latest general census, at least fifty per cent of the population of all the provinces.

I would be in favour of a better selection process and a way to remove them if the people they represent choose to do so, but to make it just a mirror image of the House (EEE) would defeat the purpose imo.

Anonymous

^EB, you and I are pretty much on the same page about losing no tears if all senators were given their walking papers. However, any government that opens up the constitutional can of worms does so at their own peril. I hate to say it, but my son who will be 2 next month will see the senate around when he has kids of his own. I believe it is one of those things that irks most of us, but we will tolerate out of fear of the unknown if we open up the constitution.