Replies: 7378
Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 19, 2024, 11:52:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

The Way We Were

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, May 03, 2015, 07:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"My Dad drove me to school in his old car, a Taunus. I did not appreciate it at the time.

http://norwegen.piranho.de/Deutschland/Oldtimer/Jpg/Ford%20Taunus%2012M%20%281961%29_02.jpg">

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Ford_Taunus_20M_Lahti2.JPG/220px-Ford_Taunus_20M_Lahti2.JPG">

Bricktop

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"What is it about the past that makes us nostalgic for it even though most of us don't want to go back? Was it better then? But surely, you don't want to lose the advances that we now have, do you?

http://www.safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu">http://www.safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu

As the Wise and Elder Statesman, let me tell you youngsters that there were never any "good old days".

Just because the past was less complex and challenging, does not make it better.

For example, cars (despite their romantic appeal) were dangerous and expensive to run; yes fuel was cheaper then, but the cars would last only at least half the time, required constant repair, and were relatively FAR more expensive.

Communications were by today's standards, primitive. Land line phones, and call boxes were the mainstay...communicating by mail, especially internationally, was slow and inefficient. Phone calls were also much more expensive in comparison.

Law and order was generally black and white. Young men were gaoled for 2 years for underage sex. Homosexuality was illegal. Anything regarded as immoral was classified as illegal. Some still do, and rightly so...but "immorality" in those days was defined by religion rather than reason. Criminals were NOT always apprehended, due to primitive investigation technologies as well as poor communication.

Self-expression was repressed and discouraged...even violently. White shirt, black tie and shoes...hair cut neat and short...was almost a uniform. Music was bland and held no social conscience. Likewise cinema...often used for propaganda and nationalism...by all nations, but especially the US.

The rich and wealthy were considered supreme beings. They were able to get away with many abuses of their position and status because governments and law enforcement authorities were too apprehensive to investigate their crimes.

Global nuclear warfare was a very real fear; the Soviets and Americans were quite ready to launch their ICBM's should need arise. This nuclear fear was tangible and ever present.

Many nations still existed under colonial rule; Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, Vietnam, Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and many Polynesian Island nations.

Travel was very much for the wealthy; the cost was several times higher than it is now. My first foray overseas, Australia to London, cost $3500 in 1980. Today I can do the same trip for $1600. The comparative price comparison to the 1980 cost is $10,700 in today's money.

Everything was less reliable...televisions, electric appliances, radios, machinery and probably people.

And worst of all....

[size=200]THERE WAS NO INTERNET!!![/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"What is it about the past that makes us nostalgic for it even though most of us don't want to go back? Was it better then? But surely, you don't want to lose the advances that we now have, do you?

http://www.safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu">http://www.safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu

As the Wise and Elder Statesman, let me tell you youngsters that there were never any "good old days".

Just because the past was less complex and challenging, does not make it better.

For example, cars (despite their romantic appeal) were dangerous and expensive to run; yes fuel was cheaper then, but the cars would last only at least half the time, required constant repair, and were relatively FAR more expensive.

Communications were by today's standards, primitive. Land line phones, and call boxes were the mainstay...communicating by mail, especially internationally, was slow and inefficient. Phone calls were also much more expensive in comparison.

Law and order was generally black and white. Young men were gaoled for 2 years for underage sex. Homosexuality was illegal. Anything regarded as immoral was classified as illegal. Some still do, and rightly so...but "immorality" in those days was defined by religion rather than reason. Criminals were NOT always apprehended, due to primitive investigation technologies as well as poor communication.

Self-expression was repressed and discouraged...even violently. White shirt, black tie and shoes...hair cut neat and short...was almost a uniform. Music was bland and held no social conscience. Likewise cinema...often used for propaganda and nationalism...by all nations, but especially the US.

The rich and wealthy were considered supreme beings. They were able to get away with many abuses of their position and status because governments and law enforcement authorities were too apprehensive to investigate their crimes.

Global nuclear warfare was a very real fear; the Soviets and Americans were quite ready to launch their ICBM's should need arise. This nuclear fear was tangible and ever present.

Many nations still existed under colonial rule; Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, Vietnam, Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and many Polynesian Island nations.

Travel was very much for the wealthy; the cost was several times higher than it is now. My first foray overseas, Australia to London, cost $3500 in 1980. Today I can do the same trip for $1600. The comparative price comparison to the 1980 cost is $10,700 in today's money.

Everything was less reliable...televisions, electric appliances, radios, machinery and probably people.

And worst of all....

[size=200]THERE WAS NO INTERNET!!![/size]

Thank you for putting the good old days in perspective SPECTRE.

@realAzhyaAryola

I agree with you both. I don't want to go back but I do enjoy the diner that I mentioned.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

Going forward does not preclude remembering fondly the things from our past...but it does mean we do not cling to them as being better.

They weren't. I've been around since 1951, and I know where I'd rather be, chronologically speaking. Just because the present isn't perfect, it does not follow that the past was better.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I agree with you both. I don't want to go back but I do enjoy the diner that I mentioned.

If it's like the one in gasoline alley in Red Deer and it sounds like it is, I can see why you like it.