The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

What you need to know about Cambodia.

Started by Bricktop, June 08, 2015, 01:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Its HOT. Australian hot, but without the cool change. Come between October and February for more benign weather.

Cambodians are warm and wonderful people, small in stature but big in heart.

Siem Reap had 5 hotels 10 years ago. It now has 240, and the tourist trade here is massive. I've crossed paths with Brits, Kiwis, Americans, Canadians, Italians, French, Germans, Indians and other Australians...but by far and away the biggest horde of tourists are the PRC's, who, it must be said, could learn some manners.

Cash is king. Few places outside of the large hotels and resorts take plastic.

Cambodians have a wily and slick sense of humour.

There are road rules...but no westerner could ever understand them, and so are forbidden to drive for their own safety.

The temple complex at Angor Wat is breathtaking...beyond anything I've ever seen...and although there is a lot I haven't seen, this place takes the prize for sheer scale and scope. By a loooooong way. The UN and individual nations are pouring millions into the place to rebuild and conserve, becaue it IS that important. Pyramids? Pile of rocks. Eiffel Tower? Big meccano set. Cichen Icha? Could move it to Angkor Wat, and no-body would find it.

If you wish to see one of the great wonders of the ancient world, its here. Lost for centuries...now a global treasure.

Cambodian women are traditional. Virginity rules. No hanky panky here. And yes, they are gorgeous.

RW

It looks like a beautiful place rich with culture.  The magnitude of their ancient history is mind blowing.
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

Quote from: "SPECTRE"

The temple complex at Angor Wat is breathtaking...beyond anything I've ever seen...and although there is a lot I haven't seen, this place takes the prize for sheer scale and scope. By a loooooong way. The UN and individual nations are pouring millions into the place to rebuild and conserve, becaue it IS that important. Pyramids? Pile of rocks. Eiffel Tower? Big meccano set. Cichen Icha? Could move it to Angkor Wat, and no-body would find it.

If you wish to see one of the great wonders of the ancient world, its here. Lost for centuries...now a global treasure.

^Thanks for that description.

Odinson

Eiffel tower completely dwarfs those temples so you have to be completely blind not to see it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
by far and away the biggest horde of tourists are the PRC's, who, it must be said, could learn some manners.

Yes, I know not all of my compatriots are as sweet as me. ac_razz

J0E

Here's a documentary about Pol Pot, communist ruler of Cambodia, described as one of the most evil men in history:

....a social misfit who flunked out of engineering school in France, his story reads like the tale of the nerd who got even.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"Here's a documentary about Pol Pot, communist ruler of Cambodia, described as one of the most evil men in history:

....a social misfit who flunked out of engineering school in France, his story reads like the tale of the nerd who got even.

Thank you for posting that Frank..

Pol pot was responsible for a lot of bloodshed.

Bricktop

Even now, there are special workshops for amputees and other disabled people that make souvenirs for tourism. I watched as three men in wheelchairs did wood carvings to sell in the store. Fucking near cried. You have to buy something to help this poor souls. Amputees as a result of land mine injuries are still a common sight in Siem Reap. Yet, you say "sok sobay?" ('how are you'?) to them and they will still return with the conventional hands together in front of their chest and a warm smile.

And the kicker is the Cambodians have forgiven that monster!!! Such is the character and soul of these amazing people. Many Khmer Rouge fighters and leaders were offered positions in the Government army if they stopped fighting against it. They accepted and were both re-united and re-integrated. Only one Khmer Rouge leader is in prison...and he is probably going to be released.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Even now, there are special workshops for amputees and other disabled people that make souvenirs for tourism. I watched as three men in wheelchairs did wood carvings to sell in the store. Fucking near cried. You have to buy something to help this poor souls. Amputees as a result of land mine injuries are still a common sight in Siem Reap. Yet, you say "sok sobay?" ('how are you'?) to them and they will still return with the conventional hands together in front of their chest and a warm smile.

And the kicker is the Cambodians have forgiven that monster!!! Such is the character and soul of these amazing people. Many Khmer Rouge fighters and leaders were offered positions in the Government army if they stopped fighting against it. They accepted and were both re-united and re-integrated. Only one Khmer Rouge leader is in prison...and he is probably going to be released.

That is heartbreaking SPECTRE.

ac_crying

Bricktop

Yes. Its one thing to see these atrocities from the comfort of your lounge, quite another to confront these poor victims face to face.

Odinson

Pol Pot was a typical leftie moron who didnt think shit through..