The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Man with rare antibodies has saved 2 million babies’ lives through blood donations

Started by cc, June 10, 2015, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/06/10/man-with-rare-antibodies-has-saved-2-million-babies-lives-through-blood/">Man with rare antibodies has saved 2 million babies' lives through blood donations

James Harrison, 78, has been dubbed "The Man with the Golden Arm" and a national hero in Australia for saving 2 million newborns' lives by donating his plasma, Fox 13 Now reported.

Harrison, who lives near Australia's central coast, has a rare blood type in his right arm that contains life-saving antibodies. Doctors suspect he developed the antibody during a chest operation when he was 14, when doctors removed a lung.

When his father told him other, unknown people's blood donations saved his life, Harrison vowed to do the same once he was allowed to, at age 18 in Australia. Every week for the past 60 years, doctors have used his antibodies to create the vaccine Anti-D, which is used to treat pregnant women with a blood disease that can lead to birth complications. He has donated his plasma more than 1,000 times.

The Anti-D vaccine effectively prevents women with RhD negative blood from developing RhD antibodies during pregnancy.

In Australia, where 17 percent of women are at risk of Rhesus disease, Harrison has been the sole donor of these antibodies, saving millions of babies' lives in the country, but also around the world. His own daughter ended up needing Anti-D, which resulted in his second grandson being born healthy.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

cc

Wow. A medical marvel like this situation and a  hero like this and no one says boo?

I know it's only 2 million babies, but sheeesh .. I thought this site would grab and run with this one

Even our in house Aussie-by-location, missed it

I think it's a great story, so "bump" anyhow  acc_devil

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Wow. A medical marvel like this situation and a  hero like this and no one says boo?

I know it's only 2 million babies, but sheeesh .. I thought this site would grab and run with this one

Even our Aussie (by location), missed it

Bump anyhow  acc_devil

A remarkable story cc. Thankfully he shared his gift of life.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I saw this a couple days ago.  Amazing man.

Is he ever RW.

pickles

priscilla1961

Quote from: "pickles"It's always good to donate blood. It saves so many people.

I concur pickles.
My Daughter Is Sweeter Than Fucking Sugar!!

Annie

I wish I could give blood, but I have medical crap going on and on meds so I'm not allowed :(
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"I wish I could give blood, but I have medical crap going on and on meds so I'm not allowed :(

I am sorry about that Annie.

ac_crying

Annie

Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Annie