Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Treatment for Pedophiles

Started by RW, July 20, 2015, 05:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Germany has been experimenting with treating pedophiles to the point that pedophiles aren't reported by psychotherapists if they admit to wanting to have sex with children or having had sex with children in the past. The idea is to treat these people as a means of assisting them in not offending.  

To me, this is a much needed change as it is pro-active rather than responsive.  In our system, these people only get help after they have offended which is little too late IMHO.

Here's the article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33464970">http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33464970
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

ac_drinks

http://i60.tinypic.com/1g11zn.jpg">

Wulf

My question is this, Is there really an effective means of behavioral therapy beyond the "just don't do it" strategy? Because if there isn't, I'm not sure how preemptive this really is.  ac_umm

It's kind of like telling a 10 year old dog that has never been house broken not to shit on the carpet. You can hope for the best but odds are you are going to be cleaning up a pile of shit when you get home.

RW

There are pedophiles who have never offended.  By tattling on them to law enforcement, you are upping their chances of reoffending.  I'd rather see them treated than not.
Beware of Gaslighters!

the shark hunter

... the government doesn't handle things related to sex well ...
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Wulf

Quote from: "RW"There are pedophiles who have never offended.  By tattling on them to law enforcement, you are upping their chances of reoffending.  I'd rather see them treated than not.

If they have NEVER offended how can "tattling" on them in cause them to "reoffend"? Doesn't one have to first commit an offense before they can repeat the offense?   ac_umm

Again, seeing them treated is fine an well but is there actually an effective treatment or are we supposed to just hope for the best and just take a leap of faith with the welfare of children? I don't like the sound of that.  :negative:

RW

So you prefer them to go without treatment than receive treatment?

Did you read the article?

As it stands, people who even say they are thinking about having relations with a child is reported to the authorities.  It's thought crime and it prevents people from seeking help.  It also prevents the psycho community from learning much about pedophilia.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wulf"
Quote from: "RW"There are pedophiles who have never offended.  By tattling on them to law enforcement, you are upping their chances of reoffending.  I'd rather see them treated than not.

If they have NEVER offended how can "tattling" on them in cause them to "reoffend"? Doesn't one have to first commit an offense before they can repeat the offense?   ac_umm

Again, seeing them treated is fine an well but is there actually an effective treatment or are we supposed to just hope for the best and just take a leap of faith with the welfare of children? I don't like the sound of that.  :negative:

I assume a leap of faith. A really big one at that it would seem.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

Quote from: "RW"Why is it a leap of faith?

Is that a serious question?

It's a leap of faith because the mental health professionals treating these people have to have enough faith in the patient and the treatment to turn them lose on society knowing that the patient could sexually molest a child at any time.

That's a huge liability placed on the mental healthcare professional morally and ethically that most people in their right minds would never accept. It's simply crazy because there is no way to reliably stop a pedo from molesting a child by using behavioral modification.

RW

They are already loose in society.  That's the point.  It's better they are loose in society with treatment than without.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

It's a mental illness. It can be treated but it requires the right environment.  Fear of being ostracized by family, friends, and the wider community is not a healthy environment and a would be pedophile will either self treat with other behaviors or substances until they can no longer cope in their heads, or they will offend and later re offend.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

I've always thought the same. But I have trouble with these people denying that their actions are vile and reprehensible. That is a hard point to accept.

If they are mentally ill, then it should be to the extent that they cannot discern right from wrong, and be aware that they are committing a crime.

I don't believe this to be the case, and so its hard to be merciful. Even harder for those who protect and conceal these reptiles.

RW

I think it's a sexuality more so than an illness.  It just make sense in terms of rehabilitation.

Suicide rates are very high amount pedophiles because they don't want to do it.  They'd agree with you on the "good" btw.  

Regardless, I would still prefer pedophiles in this world to have access to psychotherapy which they refuse in countries that will report them to the law.
Beware of Gaslighters!

@realAzhyaAryola

I'd rather they are castrated and turned into eunuchs.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]