The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Is American style humor ever funny? When an Empire loses its funny, is it the end of the Empire?

Started by Frood, August 01, 2015, 10:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

I see videos or snippets of videos from time to time of what's supposed to be funny for Americans and think, how dismal-if people are laughing at that shit, they must be completely dead on the inside.

I'm not hanging shit on all things American except their pathetic sense of humor. Some of the music and movies can be good still. Not so much on most of their movie comedies though. Give me a good French, Danish, Spanish, Brazilian, or British comedy any day or night of the week over the shit which oozes out of Hollywood though.

It's so mindless and without wit. Americans are good at weaving stories but they're not practical in the dialogue and day to day funny. It's like they're devolving to a point where grunts, pranks, and chest laughs are their only laugh currency. It's probably why they're so disjointed and on the cusp of Civil War 2.

Should the world give them cake, or simply give them the boot once and for all?
Blahhhhhh...

RW

I haven't watched a comedy in ages because I don't find that level of dumb funny anymore.  I find it embarrassing to watch.
Beware of Gaslighters!

@realAzhyaAryola

The funniest people on the planet I know are the English, the Scottish, the Irish, the Americans, the Canadians, and lastly, the Australians. :laugh:

RW, I agree with you. I do not like comedies anymore. In fact, I have not seen a comedy in ages. I like adventure, thrillers, mysteries, and historical accounts.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

asal

I like Louis CK.  Amy Schumer sketches are funny.  A lot of standup is very good these days - Jim Norton is very funny.

Frood

I adored George Carlin. His timing and story telling abilities were impeccable, then he died.

Nobody has stepped up to that level since. Bill Hicks just copied him. I never liked Bill Hick's plagiarism or retake on Carlin's topics.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Quote from: "asal"I like Louis CK.  Amy Schumer sketches are funny.  A lot of standup is very good these days - Jim Norton is very funny.

Louis CK is funny.  He tries too hard at being shocking though.  His TV show is good IMHO.

I like watching John Oliver but he gets a bit too PC leftie for my taste.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

John Oliver is a cunt of a man and shitful comedian. I wouldn't even call what he does comedy.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

Doug Stanhope is also funny.  And jerry Seinfeld - his "comedians in cars getting coffee" series is very good.

J0E

Quote from: "asal"Doug Stanhope is also funny.  And jerry Seinfeld - his "comedians in cars getting coffee" series is very good.

....I've never found Jerry Seinfeld terribly funny.

In fact, he seemed more like the 'straight man' in his own TV show. He was like the emcee who introduced these very talented  comedians who held it together, such as George Costanza,  Kramer and the other character actors/eccentrics who appeared in those episodes.

...but perhaps, that was Seifled's real talent, his ability to coordinate things and make them work.

RW

Quote from: "asal"Doug Stanhope is also funny.  And jerry Seinfeld - his "comedians in cars getting coffee" series is very good.

Comedians in Cars is a good series.  :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

Quote from: "Fashionista"Most comedy I have seen is vulgar.

:negative:

that's right   :evilthoughts2:

Novel observations, sometimes about secret thoughts :).

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Most comedy I have seen is vulgar.

:negative:

that's right   :evilthoughts2:

Novel observations, sometimes about secret thoughts :).

With gutter level, four letter word tirades.

@realAzhyaAryola

Jimmy Fallon is funny. So was David Letterman. There's lots of funny Americans. I enjoyed Seinfeld.

I did enjoy this series though.

">https://youtu.be/H-oH-TELcLE
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]