The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Helter-Skelter

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, August 08, 2015, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

During the pandemic, trucking companies have claimed that there is a driver shortage. But Jason Miller, a professor, says drivers just don't want to drive for mega carriers anymore. They've moved to smaller carriers and short-haul journeys instead, he said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/truckers-truck-drivers-mega-carriers-transport-shortage-jobs-work-2022-3?fbclid=IwAR1IyPyAtCmkJlzEKvYliDyHWm3qxQ3lZ6p6GrGmhNM7FygfQOgn_jGHFUc">https://www.businessinsider.com/trucker ... Ogn_jGHFUc">https://www.businessinsider.com/truckers-truck-drivers-mega-carriers-transport-shortage-jobs-work-2022-3?fbclid=IwAR1IyPyAtCmkJlzEKvYliDyHWm3qxQ3lZ6p6GrGmhNM7FygfQOgn_jGHFUc

Reports of a trucker shortage are nothing new but they've been picked up more widely amid the very tangible supply chain disruption during the pandemic.

Some companies have been hiking up wages and offering massive sign-on bonuses to new truck drivers, saying that no one wants to work for them anymore. The American Trucking Association's chief economist said in October that the US trucker shortage had reached "an all-time high."

But some truck drivers, as well as industry experts, dispute the fact that there is a shortage. Jason Miller, associate professor of supply-chain management at Michigan State University, told Insider that there isn't a shortage of truck drivers, just a shift in where they're working.

They don't want to drive for mega carriers anymore, he said.

"Rather than there being a shortage, we've seen that what economists would call a reallocation of drivers," Miller said. As of January 2022, around 1.53 million Americans worked in the truck transportation industry, up by 0.9% from two years prior, per BLS data compiled by Miller and viewed by Insider.

Miller said many drivers had either become owner operators or started working for smaller carriers. He shared BLS data with Insider, which shows that the average size of US trucking establishments plummeted from 10.6 employees at the end of 2019 to 9.4 employees in the third quarter of 2021.

Anonymous

The province of Alberta announced a seventy five dollar bounty on wild boars.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=445669 time=1649204156 user_id=3254

Seems they had no choice.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=445674 time=1649205883 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=445669 time=1649204156 user_id=3254

Seems they had no choice.

That's pretty good. I haven't seen any on my land, but there are farms in Saskatchewan which regularly get herds of two or three dozen. They would be a nice little side income.

Anonymous

Scotland will hold another independence referendum next year.

Anonymous

New reginal carrier Lynx Air launched it's first flight this morning from Vancouver to Calgary.

Anonymous

I refer to myself as Asian too even though I know it's such a broad term that can lead to confusion.

Experts: Asian population overcount masks community nuances

PHOENIX (AP) — Jennifer Chau was astonished last month when the U.S. Census Bureau's report card on how accurately it counted the U.S. population in 2020 showed that Asian people were overcounted by the highest rate of any race or ethnic group.

The director of an Asian American advocacy group thought thousands of people would be missed — outreach activities had been scratched by the coronavirus pandemic, and she and her staff feared widespread language barriers and wariness of sharing information with the government could hinder participation. They also thought recent attacks against Asian Americans could stir up fears within the Asian population, the fastest-growing race or ethnic group in the U.S.

"I'm honestly shocked," said Chau, director of the Arizona Asian American Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander For Equity Coalition.

But Chau and other advocates and academics also believe the overcounting of the Asian population by 2.6% in the once-a-decade U.S. head count may not be all that it seems on the surface. They say it likely masks great variation in who was counted among different Asian communities in the U.S. They also believe it could signal that biracial and multiracial residents identified as Asian in larger numbers than in the past.

The specifics are difficult to determine because all Asian communities are grouped together under the same race category in the census. This conceals the wide variety of income, education and health backgrounds between subgroups and tends to blur characteristics unique to certain communities, some advocates said. It may also perpetuate the "model minority" myth of Asians being affluent and well-educated.

"Asian Americans have the largest income inequality than any other racial groups in the U.S. and the overall overcount likely masks the experiences of Asian ethnic groups who were more vulnerable to being undercounted," said Aggie Yellow Horse, an assistant professor of Asian Pacific American Studies at Arizona State University.

Almost four dozen U.S. House members this month asked the Census Bureau to break down the accuracy of the count of Asian residents by subgroups. Asians in the U.S. trace their roots to more than 20 countries, with China and India having the largest representation. But the bureau has no plans to do so, at least not in the immediate future.

"To really see how the Asian American community fared, you need lower level geography to understand if there was an undercount or if certain communities fared better than others," said Terry Ao Minnis, senior director of census and voting programs at Asian Americans Advancing Justice.

Asians were overcounted by a higher rate than any other group. White residents who aren't Hispanic were overcounted by 0.6%. The Black population was undercounted by 3.3%, those who identified as some other race had a 4.3% undercount, almost 5% of the Hispanic population was missed and more than 5.6% of American Indians living on reservations were undercounted.

Civil rights leaders blamed the undercounts on hurdles created by the pandemic and political interference by then-President Donald Trump's administration, which tried unsuccessfully to add a citizenship question to the census form and cut field operations short.

eritus of urban planning and Asian American Studies at UCLA.

"People change their identity from one survey to another, and this is much more prevalent among those who are multiracial or biracial," Ong said.

Lan Hoang, a Vietnamese American woman who works at the same coalition as Chau, listed her three young children as Asian, as well as white and Hispanic to represent her husband's background. She used the census as an opportunity to talk to them about the importance of identity, even reading them a kids' book about the head count.

"It talks about how important it is that you let others know that you're here, this is who you represent," Hoang said. "When I filled out (the form), they were totally surprised. ... 'Yeah, you're three different things in one. You're special.'"

Conversations about declaring one's Asian background are especially meaningful given the anti-Asian hate brought on by the pandemic, Hoang added. Eight people, including six women of Asian descent, were fatally shot last year at Georgia massage businesses, and thousands more attacks against Asians have happened across the U.S. since 2020.

Such factors may have led some multiracial people who ordinarily would have indicated on the census form that they were white, Black or some other race to instead select Asian, Ong said.

"When that happens, people who are multiracial go in two directions: They reject their minority identity or they embrace it," Ong said. "With the rise of anti-Asian hostility, it forced some multiracial Asians to select a single identity."

Another factor that may have contributed to the Asian overcount is the fact that young adult Asians were more likely to be in college than other racial or ethnic groups: 58% compared to 42% or less for young adults of other race or ethnic backgrounds. That may have led them to be counted twice, on campuses and at their parents' homes, where they went after colleges and universities closed because of the pandemic.

UCLA junior Lauren Chen spent most of her freshman year back home in Mesa, Arizona, in 2020. Her father included Chen on the household census form even though Census Bureau rules said she should have been counted at school. Chen has no idea if she was counted twice.

"UCLA was pretty swamped with trying to figure out how to get people their belongings. ... It was a very messy moment and I don't think I knew anyone that got mail or anything like that," Chen said. "(The census) is definitely something that I paid attention to, especially with the way that my Dad focused on it."

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2022-04-10/experts-asian-population-overcount-masks-community-nuances#:~:text=Officials%20say%20they%20overcounted%20the,in%20the%202020%20U.S.%20census.&text=April%2010%2C%202022%2C%20at%209%3A35%20a.m">https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... 3A35%20a.m">https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2022-04-10/experts-asian-population-overcount-masks-community-nuances#:~:text=Officials%20say%20they%20overcounted%20the,in%20the%202020%20U.S.%20census.&text=April%2010%2C%202022%2C%20at%209%3A35%20a.m.

Anonymous

I refer to myself as East Asian.

Anonymous

Winter doesn't want to leave. It's cold this week.

Anonymous

Quote from: Velvet post_id=446410 time=1649685677 user_id=2021
Winter doesn't want to leave. It's cold this week.

It's seven degrees in the Peg.

Anonymous

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has told the European Union that it would be "nearly impossible" to replace Russian oil if supplies are cut off due to sanctions or boycotts, according to reports from Reuters and Bloomberg.

"We could potentially see the loss of more than 7 million barrels per day of Russian oil and other liquids exports, resulting from current and future sanctions or other voluntary actions," said OPEC's Secretary-General Mohammad Barkindo.

OPEC+  said last month that it would increase output by about 432,000 barrels per day in May to meet a recovery in demand as the pandemic eases.

Anonymous

The premier is right, it's carbon missions per capita in a heavy industry intensive economy is ridiculous.

Saskatchewan premier Scott Moe stands by 'I don't care' comment over per capita emissions.

At a Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce event in Prince Albert on Friday, Moe told delegates, "A lot of folks will come to me and say, 'Hey, you guys have the highest carbon emissions per capita.' I don't care."

Moe went on to say, "We have the highest exports per capita in Canada as well. We make the cleanest products ... the province is most certainly a part of the solution when it comes to a cleaner, greener economy."

After facing criticism during question period on Monday over the remark, Moe told reporters he still stands by the "I don't care" comment, arguing per capita emissions are the wrong metric to measure.

Prime minister visits Edmonton on Tuesday to promote Budget 2022

Biden vows to crack down on ghost guns – 'weapons of choice for many criminals'

Premier Scott Moe is standing by comments he made recently in which he said "I don't care" when referencing Saskatchewan's per capita greenhouse gas emissions.

Emissions being released into the atmosphere from an industrial site in Regina in 2019.© TROY FLEECE Emissions being released into the atmosphere from an industrial site in Regina in 2019.

At a Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce event in Prince Albert on Friday, Moe told delegates, "A lot of folks will come to me and say, 'Hey, you guys have the highest carbon emissions per capita.' I don't care."

Moe went on to say, "We have the highest exports per capita in Canada as well. We make the cleanest products ... the province is most certainly a part of the solution when it comes to a cleaner, greener economy."

After facing criticism during question period on Monday over the remark, Moe told reporters he still stands by the "I don't care" comment, arguing per capita emissions are the wrong metric to measure.

"I'll stand with the 'I don't care' right now when it comes to the metric of per capita emissions," Moe said. "Could have I a chosen something a little less controversial? Potentially."

Criticizing the remark, NDP environment critic Erika Ritchie told reporters Moe's response was "flippant."

She said the comments don't give assurances to investors, adding that the province needs to take climate change seriously.

"Emissions are absolutely a concern. We are facing a global crisis," Ritchie said.

Moe said the province should reduce emissions, adding it has already made progress — including private investment in enhanced oil recovery, thermal sites, zero-till and clean ways to mine.

He said Saskatchewan exports more than 65 per cent of what it produces, meaning much of it is consumed in other countries.

"If we have a tonne of potash that we will send to India, rather than them buying that tonne of potash from Belarus or Russia, they are actually doing right by the environment because there's less carbon that is consumed in producing that tonne of potash here in Saskatchewan," Moe said.

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/moe-stands-by-i-dont-care-comment-over-per-capita-emissions#:~:text=After%20facing%20criticism%20during%20question,capita%20emissions%2C%E2%80%9D%20Moe%20said">https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewa ... Moe%20said">https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/moe-stands-by-i-dont-care-comment-over-per-capita-emissions#:~:text=After%20facing%20criticism%20during%20question,capita%20emissions%2C%E2%80%9D%20Moe%20said.

Anonymous

We have the storm of the century coming tomorrow.

Anonymous

I'm at my son's place in Regina. They are getting that mega snowstorm too. This town will be shut down tomorrow.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=446553 time=1649774325 user_id=2015
We have the storm of the century coming tomorrow.

Take care IHJ.