The best topic

Replies: 7553
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 11:58:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Are You Using/Will You Use Windows 10?

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, August 09, 2015, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "cc la femme"Joey, you don't even use a computer for WORK, so you don't even get to the starting post

Well, I don't use a computer for WORK either. But when we did use computers for WORK we used Apple, and Joe is completely correct.

To the average home user, Windows is a nightmare. Everyone I know with a Windows PC has issues with drivers, file corruption, version compatibility and simply trying to fix issues.

Where IT resources exist with the means and capability to manage a Windows installation, this is less of a drama. But consider the amount of time and money businesses invest in simply keeping Windows sites operational.

This is why many revered XP. It was much less costly to manage.

The thing is with PCs is you can customize your hardware.  That can be good and bad but driver installation is no big deal.  

The biggest issue for Windows is with viruses.  Between protecting against one or fixing one after infection, it's a huge pain in the arse!

I did Windows system administration as part of my work including Windows server without much issue at all.  I will say that adding a MACbook to the network was incredibly easy.
Beware of Gaslighters!

cc

Agree more hackers go after Win.

Why? Because it is so numerous. The very dark soul of hackers and virus programmers is geared to do as much damage as possible with as little work as possible. With the 20 / 1 ratio of Win systems, of course they spend their time on programming for it.

Pro hackers doing it for money also obviously put work in for maximum payback

I'm used to hearing "Oh, it's not programmed as well =  can be successfully programmed for. Bullrot. If there were many macs they would work their buns off to get in and get in.

If mac had grown in numbers the way  cultists have been wet dreaming about and incorrectly predicting   since inception, hackers / black programmers would successfully go after it. All cultists have the lines ready to protect their cult from being questioned by the unwashed.

"Challenge and success" are  the operative words for talented amateurs. "Payback / hours of work" are the operative words for pros that do it for money.

That said, for all the hacking / virus stuff we hear about being attempted, we have had few problems over the years. Further, our programmers who work from totally separate locations don't have problems for the same reasons. For our own knowledge, we have in the past done loose surveys of our clients and found similar. Proper protection goes a long way to keeping damage  unlikely.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

J0E

There are so many bleepin' O/S upgrades these days, that the average consumer just caint keep up.

I'm still using Windows XP, seems to work just fine. I bought a copy of Windows 7 which is still sitting on the shelf.

On the Mac side I'm still running System 10.5, and it does everything I want it to and need it for.

I also have a copy of system 10.6 sitting on the shelf gathering dust also waiting to be installed.

Really, all these new O/S's are just another way for the software companies to gouge the conumer & make more money for themselves.

What is a compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7 if it works just fine? Or for that matter OSX 10.10? People don't throw out their shoes or chuck their clothes in the fire just because a style came out

Anyways an OS is no more than the equivalent of your TV set. It allows you to run your favorite software programs.

There's too much hype surrounding the release of a new OS that doesn't do much more ijf anything susbstantially better than the previous O/S

Vancouver

Frank you should see my new leather jacket. My new watch, my new phone. I have that new car on order. Should be in stock next week.
Time is malleable

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc la femme"Agree more hackers go after Win.

Why? Because it is so numerous. The very dark soul of hackers and virus programmers is geared to do as much damage as possible with as little work as possible. With the 20 / 1 ratio of Win systems, of course they spend their time on programming for it.

Pro hackers doing it for money also obviously put work in for maximum payback

I'm used to hearing "Oh, it's not programmed as well =  can be successfully programmed for. Bullrot. If there were many macs they would work their buns off to get in and get in.

If mac had grown in numbers the way  cultists have been wet dreaming about and incorrectly predicting   since inception, hackers / black programmers would successfully go after it. All cultists have the lines ready to protect their cult from being questioned by the unwashed.

"Challenge and success" are  the operative words for talented amateurs. "Payback / hours of work" are the operative words for pros that do it for money.

That said, for all the hacking / virus stuff we hear about being attempted, we have had few problems over the years. Further, our programmers who work from totally separate locations don't have problems for the same reasons. For our own knowledge, we have in the past done loose surveys of our clients and found similar. Proper protection goes a long way to keeping damage  unlikely.

Top Ten rated desktops.

http://au.pcmag.com/desktop-reviews/73/feature/the-10-best-desktops">http://au.pcmag.com/desktop-reviews/73/ ... t-desktops">http://au.pcmag.com/desktop-reviews/73/feature/the-10-best-desktops

2 of the first three are Apple.

CNET best rated desktops.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/desktops/best-desktops/">http://www.cnet.com/topics/desktops/best-desktops/

2 out of 6 are Apple, including best for Media Pros and All rounder.

Vancouver

I've got an 8 core processor. Great for rendering videos.
Time is malleable

cc

QuoteTop Ten rated desktops.

1 in 20 run mac software  :wink:

cc

QuoteTop Ten rated desktops.

1 in 20 run mac software  :wink:

Annie

Ok sooo I finally did it! I upgraded to Windows 10! I don't know why I was chicken about it, it was actually very easy and now my computer is faster. I like everything and only took me a few minutes to find the shut down and change the text size. I give this free upgrade two thumbs up  :thumbup:
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Ok sooo I finally did it! I upgraded to Windows 10! I don't know why I was chicken about it, it was actually very easy and now my computer is faster. I like everything and only took me a few minutes to find the shut down and change the text size. I give this free upgrade two thumbs up  :thumbup:

It's about time we upgraded all of our computers to Windows 10.

cc

I've had 10 since the day it came out. I like it, but am having a couple of total freeze ups a week - no mouse, no keyboard, no Task Master ..  nothing happens

have to crash /power off it to get going again

May be something other than 10 causing it, don't know

Annie

I still have some freezing issues as well, mainly with faceplant, I hate that thing. Yet I need it to be in contact with long distance relatives and friends.  Sometimes Firefox does that "Not Responding" crap, happens a couple times a day. I'm sure I have a conflicting program somewhere or spyware crap  :t1929:
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

shin

Still loving your Win 10 experience, CC?

Somebody posted this on reddit a while back. It illustrates that the sending of private information of those with even premium versions of Win 10 OS cannot truly be turned off. Some of it might also be data mining as I've heard they use a new method for distributing update software.

">

Then there are smaller but widespread issues with driver support for some hardware that may cause malfunction... but that's something that has plagued Windows since Vista when they decided to stop supporting hardware companies that weren't on their preferred list.

I haven't looked deeply into the authentification process during setup, but I do know I don't want another Hotmail/Windows Live account; it makes me wonder what happens if they recycle your account due to the tiny time window they label as a go ahead to remove your login privileges what that would mean for keeping your Win 10 updates and services active, and if they force me to use their rebranded Internet Explorer browser, that's enough of a dealbreaker to get me to hold off even longer.

I initially said I wouldn't be upgrading before a year after the release, but I'm currently leaning toward investing in several refurbished machines running Win 7 for as long as I can.

shin

Sorry about the huge image. I haven't seen a smaller version of it, and I really wanted Cc to see it to get her take on it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Sorry about the huge image. I haven't seen a smaller version of it, and I really wanted Cc to see it to get her take on it.

Hey, no problem. Thanks for the heads up.