News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Is it fair for women in the workplace to use maternity leave every 1-2 years?

Started by Frood, August 11, 2015, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "RW"It's definitely not protected by human rights like pregnancy is.

Once he made it past his probationary period it is policy. They should have asked questions to see if he wanted to stick around or not. The organization's needs come first. But, I still wouldn't want to hire someone for a full time job if they wanted to take a lot of time off to raise a family. And the gender of the candidate doesn't matter. The law doesn't either.

Tell me, how do you ascertain a candidate's want to take time off to raise a family some time down the road?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "cc la femme"That is correct

It sure is.

I usually am.

(Not really haha)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Herman"But, I will ask you this--what benefit to your company is a worker wants to leave the company for extended periods of time for whatever reason? Who will step up and do their job when the person they are replacing  is away? How do you think this will affect the morale of the employees who never take extended periods of time away from work when they MIA employee returns? if the MIA employee returns, ask these questions all over again. The most important question is why oh why would someone who does not want the responsibility of full time job applying for one?

It's always been a huge problem. Oh wait - it totally hasn't.

We've had people take extended leave for health reasons or whatever. We just cover or hire. No big deal. It's a pretty normal part of life and business. We're not robots.

Still, in my thirty years of work I can't recall a single female employee going on maternity leave and I've worked with plenty. I have no idea where all these alleged baby factories are.

cc

QuoteI usually am.

(Not really haha)
of course you are

QuoteI have no idea where all these alleged baby factories are
of course you wouldn't

Your world is always exactly as you wish it to be
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

RW

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Herman"But, I will ask you this--what benefit to your company is a worker wants to leave the company for extended periods of time for whatever reason? Who will step up and do their job when the person they are replacing  is away? How do you think this will affect the morale of the employees who never take extended periods of time away from work when they MIA employee returns? if the MIA employee returns, ask these questions all over again. The most important question is why oh why would someone who does not want the responsibility of full time job applying for one?

It's always been a huge problem. Oh wait - it totally hasn't.

We've had people take extended leave for health reasons or whatever. We just cover or hire. No big deal. It's a pretty normal part of life and business. We're not robots.

Still, in my thirty years of work I can't recall a single female employee going on maternity leave and I've worked with plenty. I have no idea where all these alleged baby factories are.

In my workplace, before I went off to have babies, three of my male coworkers took parental leave.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

See, this is what employers get for hiring men! Never hire a man. They're just a bunch of daycare factories.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

cc

Quote.... in my thirty years of work I can't recall a single female employee going on maternity leave and I've worked with plenty....

hmmm ... Seems  for "some" reason  they just don't "do it"
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "RW"It's definitely not protected by human rights like pregnancy is.

Once he made it past his probationary period it is policy. They should have asked questions to see if he wanted to stick around or not. The organization's needs come first. But, I still wouldn't want to hire someone for a full time job if they wanted to take a lot of time off to raise a family. And the gender of the candidate doesn't matter. The law doesn't either.

Tell me, how do you ascertain a candidate's want to take time off to raise a family some time down the road?

Are you available to work overtime on occasion? Can you travel? You'll be required to travel or work overtime on short notice. Is this a problem for you? What are your long-term career goals?

RW

And that's how you're going to get someone who doesn't plan on a family?

That's cute Hermie. :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"And that's how you're going to get someone who doesn't plan on a family?

That's cute Hermie. :)

It's not cute, it's just business. It's also effective.

There are others too, especially for the type of work we do. Like, do you have any commitments that may hinder our work attendance requirements? You can also make inquiries, made to both males and females, as to duration of stay on the job or anticipated absences. It works and I assume my son's employer wished they asked some of these types of questions to him.

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"When people bitch about parental leave do you folks not realize that for the first 4-6 months of life a baby relies on its mother for milk?

That does not explain why an employer has to PAY for it.

Any leave is a cost to the employer. It has to be paid for. How its paid for is moot. The point is if you are being paid, and you are not at work, someone is paying for you to have your baby.

That is bullshit.

It also discriminates against those who do not, or can not have babies. Maternity leave is a victory for rabid feminism, nothing more. We all know that once feminists start screaming, the trade unions come a running.

It is not a triumph for women. It is an impost that employers will seek to avoid wherever they can.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "RW"When people bitch about parental leave do you folks not realize that for the first 4-6 months of life a baby relies on its mother for milk?

Any leave is a cost to the employer. It has to be paid for. How its paid for is moot. The point is if you are being paid, and you are not at work, someone is paying for you to have your baby.

That is bullshit.

It also discriminates against those who do not, or can not have babies. Maternity leave is a victory for rabid feminism, nothing more. We all know that once feminists start screaming, the trade unions come a running.

It is not a triumph for women. It is an impost that employers will seek to avoid wherever they can.

Here, Employment Insurance pays for it - a fund paid into by employees not employers.  An employer will pay for her replacement if she quits to have babies as well.

It doesn't discriminate any more than sick leave does.  Nice try.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"

That is bullshit.

We have EI here for maternity leave. But, any lengthy absence still creates a problem for the employer. If you can, it's better not to hire someone who you know will be taking a long time out for any reason.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!