The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Made in Mexico: An emerging auto giant powers past Canada

Started by Anonymous, August 14, 2015, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "cc la femme"
Quote reward corporations for sending local jobs overseas

Words are too easy to spout. Cite please

Well, for one, a couple of years back the Caterpillar corporation laid off much of its staff in Canada, demanded its workers cut their wages by 50%, and the Harper government still gave them generous tax breaks.

They also sent a large number of those jobs to 3rd world nations.

I think that sort of thing should end - rewarding corporations for sending jobs overseas.

If companies send their jobs overseas, no tax breaks, generous government subsidies for them.

Ideally, they should pay an exit tax, and another to the nation they offshore the jobs to.

Contrast Caterpillar's actions with Microsoft, which not only opened a large office in Vancouver, but is in the process of opening a 2nd one.

That adds revenue to the tax coffers, employs Canadians in good-paying jobs.

You want to reward the job creators, not companies which offshore jobs and then cut the wages of working Canadians.

So, companies like Microsoft should get the tax breaks, but not Caterpillar.

It's funny you mentioned Caterpillar. That closure would not have happened today with a 75 cent dollar. Caterpillar must be kicking themselves in the ass over that decision.

I hope our low dollar will help car makers remain in Canada and hire workers.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "cc la femme"
Quote reward corporations for sending local jobs overseas

Words are too easy to spout. Cite please

Well, for one, a couple of years back the Caterpillar corporation laid off much of its staff in Canada, demanded its workers cut their wages by 50%, and the Harper government still gave them generous tax breaks.

They also sent a large number of those jobs to 3rd world nations.

I think that sort of thing should end - rewarding corporations for sending jobs overseas.

If companies send their jobs overseas, no tax breaks, generous government subsidies for them.

Ideally, they should pay an exit tax, and another to the nation they offshore the jobs to.

Contrast Caterpillar's actions with Microsoft, which not only opened a large office in Vancouver, but is in the process of opening a 2nd one.

That adds revenue to the tax coffers, employs Canadians in good-paying jobs.

You want to reward the job creators, not companies which offshore jobs and then cut the wages of working Canadians.

So, companies like Microsoft should get the tax breaks, but not Caterpillar.

It's funny you mentioned Caterpillar. That closure would not have happened today with a 75 cent dollar. Caterpillar must be kicking themselves in the ass over that decision.

I hope our low dollar will help car makers remain in Canada and hire workers.

It won't hurt, but it's not enough. I don't know enough about the auto manufacturing business to say what will help the industry regain it's mojo.

Anonymous

Canada has been stuck in a productivity flatline since the 1990's. More automation is necessary to get us out of our malaise.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Canada has been stuck in a productivity flatline since the 1990's. More automation is necessary to get us out of our malaise.

Then do that and get those jobs back in Canada.

Lance Leftardashian

It is wonderful that Mexicos car industry is booming. Possibly one day Canadians will want to go to Mexico to work.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"It is wonderful that Mexicos car industry is booming. Possibly one day Canadians will want to go to Mexico to work.

Too many Canadians don't want to work here. What makes you think they will show any ambition in a foreign country?

cc

NAFTA will be undone as soon as the right people are in charge, and maybe before out of necessity.

It is a killer blow that we cannot live with for much longer

Other treaties, likewise. We cannot live with them for much longer

Not sure for us, but the trade imbalance with China alone had doubled for the US since 09. That can't continue & should not continue
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"NAFTA will be undone as soon as the right people are in charge, and maybe before out of necessity.

It is a killer blow that we cannot live with for much longer

One of the interesting aspects of NAFTA is that it may give TransCanada a legal path to challenge Obama when he rejects Keystone XL.

cc

Interesting.

I have little trouble with the essence of NAFTA with the US, just as things were before someone got the stupid idea to free trade with Mexico

To have free trade with a 3rd world country is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen - and I mean with ANY 3rd world country
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Interesting.

I have little trouble with the essence of NAFTA with the US, just as things were before someone got the stupid idea to free trade with Mexico

To have free trade with a 3rd world country is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen - and I mean with ANY 3rd world country

Now that Mexico is part of NAFTA, it would be nearly impossible to kick them out.

Lance Leftardashian

We must embrace our fellow Mexican brothers and give them a chance to also be Canadians.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"We must embrace our fellow Mexican brothers and give them a chance to also be Canadians.

Oh they can become Canadian citizens. However, citizenship in NAFTA should be revoked.

Lance Leftardashian

Canada and the USA are nations of immigrants, all people are considered equal in our democracies and therefor we must welcome all who want to live here.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Canada and the USA are nations of immigrants, all people are considered equal in our democracies and therefor we must welcome all who want to live here.

When since the end of the second world war have we just opened the doors? It's not the 1890's anymore and we don't need people to farm the prairies.

Frood

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Canada and the USA are nations of immigrants, all people are considered equal in our democracies and therefor we must welcome all who want to live here.

The USA is a Republic.

(Just wanted to put that out there for you and all the stooges in the various levels of the US federal government who pretend otherwise)
Blahhhhhh...