Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Don't Tell The Dippers And Obongo, But Canadian Oil Is Better For The Planet

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2015, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Solar panels to produce steam and the smallest land disturbance per barrel produced on the planet for new in-situ methods. Canadian oil, whether it is light sweet crude from Saskatchewan, heavy Wabasca, Newfoundland offshore or Alberta bitumen, we produce the shit in the most socially and enviromentally responsible way on the fucking planet.

Canadian oil is environmentally responsible oil. Using more Canadian oil is better for the planet.

Why can we say that, when opponents of the oil sands call it the dirtiest oil in the world?

First, the majority of emissions from oil come at the burning stage – approximately 70% to 80% are at the end of the life cycle (such as vehicle exhaust). That statistic is not dependent on the source of the oil. Comparing one source of oil to another is about measuring how that oil is extracted and transported, which makes up the remaining 20% to 30% of emissions.

Many countries that supply oil to developing economies like China and India – the destination for oil in the Trans Mountain expansion– are the worst environmental offenders in the world.

Nigeria, for example, flares about 25 billion cubic meters of gas every year, equivalent to 42% of all of the gas burned in Africa. Because methane is 25 time more lethal to the environment, this practice makes Nigeria the worst air polluter in the world. The flaring is done close to human habitations, endangering their health and covering their communities with soot. Deliberate and accidental oil spills have despoiled the Niger River, destroying mangrove forests, killing the marine habitat, and poisoning the water. That all makes Nigerian oil truly the dirtiest oil on the planet, yet Nigeria supplies 2.2 million barrels a day to consumers in the developing world.

Iraq flares about 15 billion cubic meters of noxious gases every year. Iraq also uses potable water for oil extraction in a part of the world where scarce clean water sustains life. Political unrest has resulted in deliberate oil spills and the bombing of oil pipelines, which have destroyed yet more potable water and marine habitats.

Angola flares about 3 billion cubic meters of gas every year. Marine habitats have been destroyed by dumping hazardous wastes, deliberate and accidental oil spills, and seismic testing and drilling.

Not so in Canada. Worley Parsons compared ten oil producing countries and found that Canada, Australia and the US Gulf Coast "were consistently leading in a comparison of existing environmental policies, laws and regulatory systems". Penspen studied bitumen and determined definitively that Canadian bitumen is no more corrosive than conventional crude oil, another myth about oil sands oil.

In Canada, a group called the Canadian Oil Sands Innovation Alliance has invested almost a billion dollars in 777 new oil sands technologies that they share with one another to improve the industry's performance. New technologies and practices reduced per barrel GHG emissions from the oil sands by 28% between 1990 and 2012. In situ drilling uses saline water unsuitable for human, animal or plant consumption, and even then, recycles 80% to 95% of it.

Canada produces about 4% of the world's oil. Imagine the benefits for the environment if the countries producing the other 96% were to adopt some of our clean production technologies. Or if some of that Nigerian, Angolan and Iraqi oil were replaced by Canada's cleaner product.

RW

Trouble is Shen, no one outside of Canada gives a flying fuck about environmental impact.  

:)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Trouble is Shen, no one outside of Canada gives a flying fuck about environmental impact.  

Yes and no. I am a wellsite consultant or supervisor or engineer as we are commonly called. I have worked in countries like that. Most countries care, but it is not a religion like it is in this country.

Canada is the world leader when it comes to environmental protection and worker safety too. No other country and this includes oil producing countries like Norway, the states or Scotland have anything above Canada on environment and safety. These days I limit my work area to Southern Saskatchewan, South West Manitoba and North Dakota. Saskatchewan is ahead of North Dakota when it comes to being proactive on the environment. Alberta and BC are ahead of us. It's a disgrace that the best extracted oil in the world is the one most vilified. Too often by our own politicians who should be shouting our industrial virtues.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Don't mind me, Fash. That was like a burp. :laugh3:

You must have drank carbonated water.

:icon_wink:

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

cc

Damn Asia. When we lived there, we found Calamansi  juice . very common there.

Wowzers!! Was it potent, refreshing  and delicious - Being soda lovers, we usually had it in Club Soda  

For taste and strength It makes straight lemon or lime juice look comparably like  wimps
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Damn Asia. When we lived there, we found Calamansi  juice . very common there.

Wowzers!! Was it potent, refreshing  and delicious - Being soda lovers, we usually had it in Club Soda  

For taste and strength It makes straight lemon or lime juice look comparably like  wimps

Calamansis are limes aren't they?

cc

I believe they are a "type" of lime. Very small in size compared to limes I was familiar with but very potent and flavorful

Asia will know the subtleties on this one
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"I believe they are a "type" of lime. Very small in size compared to limes I was familiar with but very potent and flavorful

Asia will know the subtleties on this one

I have seen them before..

I don't know if I had them in any thing I've had.

J0E

Well, since you're an expert in the field, can you tell us if Alberta tarsands oil extraction is any worse than fracking?

Here the environmental groups have been trashing tarsands oil and how it's wrecking the envoronment, but then they become silent when the topic of fracking comes up. The Obama adminstration trashes the proposed Keystone pipeline as being bad for the environment and then extols the virtues of fracking, as if it were a panacea for America's energy needs. Meanwhile fracking destroys geological foundations millions perhaps billions of years old. If I'm not mistaken, it has the potential to create sinkholes and earthquakes. Additionally, pollutes the groundwater which many Americans rely upon for drinking, etc.

Is this a case of when the shoe is on someone else's foot, it's bad, but when its on mine, I look the other way?

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "RW"Trouble is Shen, no one outside of Canada gives a flying fuck about environmental impact.  

Yes and no. I am a wellsite consultant or supervisor or engineer as we are commonly called. I have worked in countries like that. Most countries care, but it is not a religion like it is in this country.

Canada is the world leader when it comes to environmental protection and worker safety too. No other country and this includes oil producing countries like Norway, the states or Scotland have anything above Canada on environment and safety. These days I limit my work area to Southern Saskatchewan, South West Manitoba and North Dakota. Saskatchewan is ahead of North Dakota when it comes to being proactive on the environment. Alberta and BC are ahead of us. It's a disgrace that the best extracted oil in the world is the one most vilified. Too often by our own politicians who should be shouting our industrial virtues.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"Well, since you're an expert in the field, can you tell us if Alberta bituminous oil oil extraction is any worse than fracking?

Here the environmental groups have been trashing bituminous oil oil and how it's wrecking the envoronment, but then they become silent when the topic of fracking comes up. The Obama adminstration trashes the proposed Keystone pipeline as being bad for the environment and then extols the virtues of fracking, as if it were a panacea for America's energy needs. Meanwhile fracking destroys geological foundations millions perhaps billions of years old. If I'm not mistaken, it has the potential to create sinkholes and earthquakes. Additionally, pollutes the groundwater which many Americans rely upon for drinking, etc.

Is this a case of when the shoe is on someone else's foot, it's bad, but when its on mine, I look the other way?

My husband works for a specialized oilfield service company..

They do very little work in North East Alberta, but they do a lot of work on fracked oil and gas wells..

He has never said anything to about fracking being a dangerous procedure at all.

ac_dunno

Anonymous

^Thank you for using the word censor wisely. I do not want anyone here with industry knowledge wasting it on some attention whoring troll. Let him babble on about Obongo, Harper or whatever up in the politics subforum.