The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Minimum Wage $15hr....Meet Your Replacement

Started by Anonymous, August 19, 2015, 04:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Which countries?

I saw it in Germany and Denmark.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"What decides what someone doing a job is worth?

Skill set, cost of the commodity and what consumers are willing to pay, the availability of workforce.

Any HS kid or recent grad can be taught to preform a low level unskilled fast food or retail job. They are also a dime a dozen. That in itself precludes them from being $15 dollar an hour employees.  

Hopefully you do not think that paying some kid more than what the market will bare, simply because of some out of touch, prog ideology, regarding a "living wage" for flipping burgers or emptying garbage cans, makes good economic sense. I'm all for raising the minimum wage but lets keep it commensurate with the kind of jobs it is meant for. As you stated, these are starter jobs, they are not meant to be careers. From a retail business managers standpoint, paying someone 15 dollars an hour so that they can stand there with an empty head and a blank look on their face as they ring up your cheese doodles and energy drinks is simply ridiculous.

Minimum wage increases are about keeping up with inflation more than anything.  It has nothing to do with skill or how many can do the job.  It's already the bare minimum you can pay a person regardless.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"Wal Mart cut hours after raising pay.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/09/01/of-course-walmart-cut-hours-after-raising-pay-what-did-anyone-expect/">http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall ... ne-expect/">http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/09/01/of-course-walmart-cut-hours-after-raising-pay-what-did-anyone-expect/

Walmart is such a shit company.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

The clock is ticking on fast food cashier and server jobs.

QuoteA new restaurant in San Francisco is powered by machines, Entrepreneur reports.

At Eatsa, customers order their food at kiosks and then receive their meals via high-tech machines.

The company posted a photo of a kiosk on Twitter before the restaurant's grand opening.

http://www.businessinsider.com/eatsa-doesnt-have-human-servers-2015-8">http://www.businessinsider.com/eatsa-do ... ers-2015-8">http://www.businessinsider.com/eatsa-doesnt-have-human-servers-2015-8

No lines either.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7dhJQBaf0

RW

That is the douchiest restaurant on the planet hahaha.

I love the technology used though.  Very neat even for a glorified vending machine.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"That is the douchiest restaurant on the planet hahaha.

I love the technology used though.  Very neat even for a glorified vending machine.

How do you know? Have you had their food?

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Because they're main food choice is quinoa salads.  Nuff said.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

I've been a rice chick all my life, but I'm surprised I don't mind quinoa.

Renee

Sorry but those automated ordering kiosk things are cropping up in all the convenience/food places/gas stations like Costco, Quickcheck, and Sheetz all over the US.

They sell a hell of a lot more of a variety of goods than just salad made out of Styrofoam packing material.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Sorry but those automated ordering kiosk things are cropping up in all the convenience/food places/gas stations like Costco, Quickcheck, and Sheetz all over the US.

They sell a hell of a lot more of a variety of goods than just salad made out of Styrofoam packing material.

I was in Houston recently, but I don't recall seeing it. I saw this level of automation in Europe though. Staples Canada is using automation for some of it's services that used to be people tasks.

Renee

I was in Houston recently, but I don't recall seeing it. I saw this level of automation in Europe though. Staples Canada is using automation for some of it's services that used to be people tasks.

They are here in NJ and I was in PA last weekend and they were all over the place. I hear they are becoming common in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia as well, especially those that are along the major highways. And I hear almost all the new out-of-the-ground convenience stores being built will have this technology to some degree. It's only a matter of time before they are all retrofitted.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

They are here in NJ and I was in PA last weekend and they were all over the place. I here they are becoming common in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia as well, especially those that are along the major highways. And I hear almost all the new out-of-the-ground convenience stores being built will have this technology to some degree. It's only a matter of time before they are all retrofitted.

It may be in Houston too. I went to a grocery store and a mall and that was about it for shopping.

RW

I was just joking about the quinoa thing.  I personally won't support a restaurant that automates servers.
Beware of Gaslighters!