Replies: 10548
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:15:04 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Big losses on the TSX and Dow today. Another ride on the roller coaster.

Thiel

Quote from: "seoulbro"Big losses on the TSX and Dow today. Another ride on the roller coaster.

Some very weak data released in China that put downward pressure on the markets.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Disappointing job news from the United States today..

September job numbers came in below expectations..

It probably won't be a good day again for the markets.

ac_unsure

Anonymous

The Golden Age is Over: Billionaires Dumping American Companies

QuoteBy MONEY MORNING STAFF REPORTS - ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2015

Nobel Prize winning economist Robert Shiller has released data showing that U.S. markets are now seriously overvalued. According to his proprietary research, stocks have inflated to almost 2x their historical value. And his recent appearances major television networks included the warning: "This is not the Golden Age for Investing."

Now there's evidence that suggests he's not the only well-known investor taking money out of the U.S. markets.

Warren Buffett recently dumped his entire $3.7 billion stake in America's largest company.

And legendary international investor George Soros cut his number of market positions by over 30% in less than three months. He's already moved nearly $2 billion out of U.S. stocks and into safer havens overseas.

Are these multi-billion dollar moves out of US stocks by some of the world's richest men a warning sign that more serious economic problems are approaching?

According to Jim Rickards, the CIA's Financial Threat Advisor, the answer is yes.

In a startling interview, he reveals the activities undertaken by the Fed inside the Financial War room at the Treasury.

However, it's the findings of an alarming report issued by his colleagues inside all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies that make this interview a must-see for every American.

Take a few moments to see what they fear could begin within the next six months and decide for yourself.

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/the-golden-age-is-over.php?iris=337599&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral">http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/ri ... m=referral">http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/the-golden-age-is-over.php?iris=337599&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"The Golden Age is Over: Billionaires Dumping American Companies

QuoteBy MONEY MORNING STAFF REPORTS - ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2015

Nobel Prize winning economist Robert Shiller has released data showing that U.S. markets are now seriously overvalued. According to his proprietary research, stocks have inflated to almost 2x their historical value. And his recent appearances major television networks included the warning: "This is not the Golden Age for Investing."

Now there's evidence that suggests he's not the only well-known investor taking money out of the U.S. markets.

Warren Buffett recently dumped his entire $3.7 billion stake in America's largest company.

And legendary international investor George Soros cut his number of market positions by over 30% in less than three months. He's already moved nearly $2 billion out of U.S. stocks and into safer havens overseas.

Are these multi-billion dollar moves out of US stocks by some of the world's richest men a warning sign that more serious economic problems are approaching?

According to Jim Rickards, the CIA's Financial Threat Advisor, the answer is yes.

In a startling interview, he reveals the activities undertaken by the Fed inside the Financial War room at the Treasury.

However, it's the findings of an alarming report issued by his colleagues inside all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies that make this interview a must-see for every American.

Take a few moments to see what they fear could begin within the next six months and decide for yourself.

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/the-golden-age-is-over.php?iris=337599&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral">http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/ri ... m=referral">http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/the-golden-age-is-over.php?iris=337599&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Nothing new here. American stocks are overvalued.

Anonymous

This is a wake up call for many. Canadians can no longer count on high returns on their retirement savings.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/07/retirement-returns-to-stay-low-report-says">http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/07/re ... eport-says">http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/07/retirement-returns-to-stay-low-report-says

Your retirement savings returns might be lower than you first thought. That's a key takeaway from a new report out by the CD Howe Institute.

In fact, Canadians might be looking at a measly 1% return per year — after inflation. That's the conclusion made by report authors Steve Ambler, economics professor at University of Quebec, and Craig Alexander, the institute's v-p of economic analysis.

To make matters worse, they predict these low returns will persist for several decades.

"I'm not meaning to be the bearer of bad news, but people need to put their retirement assumptions in perspective," Alexander, former chief economist for TD Bank, explained in an interview with Postmedia Network.

"We've made debt incredibly cheap so it's very good for borrowers but we're in an environment that is really punishing for savers."

The report isn't suggesting 1% is all you'll get for wild west investing styles like picking penny stocks. Rather this is what to expect from a traditionally diversified pension or retirement fund.

"Many pension funds are assuming rates of return higher than the 4%-6% range and the real issue is anything beyond 3% you're going to be taking risk," Alexander adds. It's inflation that knocks that 3% down to 1%.

"If you're aiming for a 7% return are you comfortable with the risk you're going to take on to achieve that?"

Is there any solution to this? No silver bullet one, that's for sure.

While political party leaders are arguing in the federal campaign that they've got the goods to manage the economy, Alexander explains their "incremental" policies will have little impact.

"Canada needs to create a more productive and competitive economy," he concludes. More growth. Higher salaries.

Until then, Canadians need to have a chat with their investment advisers and adjust their expectations.

Anonymous

It was a pretty good week overall for the markets and our investments..

The TSX closed 14 points lower yesterday, but was up for the week.

Anonymous

It will be interesting to see how much longer Saudi Arabia can maintain their failed policy of flooding the markets with crude. It has caused a lot of pain among other OPEC nations and even Saudi Arabia itself. The kingdom is now deeply in debt and looking for areas to cut spending. I predict oil to rise, but I don't know how far SA are prepared to take this. Whatever decision they make will affect our investments and our dollar.

cc

With a current  lean to the Liberals, with  their and especially their boy leader governing, and I use the term loosely, will the markets not take an immediate beating?

Certainly they will over time as dreams hit reality
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"With a current  lean to the Liberals, with  their and especially their boy leader governing, and I use the term loosely, will the markets not take an immediate beating?

Certainly they will over time as dreams hit reality

We topped up our TFSA contributions to the maximum allowable amount before Justin Trudeau claws it back.

cc

Good move I think. I'm not sure what he will do myself. I have not been following hairboy and his antics closely

Can he "claw back" amount in, or just set new annual limits or set a new total?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Good move I think. I'm not sure what he will do myself. I have not been following hairboy and his antics closely

Can he "claw back" amount in, or just set new annual limits or set a new total?

Who knows?? Our future most unqualified PM we have ever had does not even know his own platform. We are getting an unvetted PM.

Ace

Quote from: "seoulbro"1. If you are among the millions of Canadians who has TFSA, you know it must be invested in Canadian companies.

This is false.

Ace

I should add though, that if it is a dividend paying US stock, I do believe that US capital gains tax is automatically deducted on the dividends.  However, the tax deducted can be claimed, and will be reimbursed in full.  I avoided this step by investing in US stocks that didn't pay dividend.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ace"
Quote from: "seoulbro"1. If you are among the millions of Canadians who has TFSA, you know it must be invested in Canadian companies.

This is false.

It sure is and I did not notice what I wrote until now. US stocks are eligible for TFSAs so long as they are traded on a designated stock exchange.  If your stocks pay US dividends like you mentioned then you will have to pay foreign non-resident withholding tax on that money, which could be costly!

Fortunately you can generally claim the Canadian foreign tax credit on this amount withheld and get some (most) of it back.