Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:19:20 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

We don't touch the markets.

We only invest in physical property and goods.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"We tend to go from one extreme to the other. When things in the world, country and continent are flaky like they are now, safe!!

When all the key indications look good, index which may have been risky is not very risky at such times and potential return is at its greatest also

Prolly should go more of a mixed way, but unless indications are good we just don't accept much if any risk. We stay on top of how  the world, country and continent are looking and make decisions accordingly, staying in things that don't cost a lot to get in or out of so we can get in and make a buck or bail and protect  capital accordingly

Currently, for many reasons we see much risk from all directions, so are not leaving ourselves open

We are only working people, so we don't like higher risk..

Our mutuals are quite diverse, which is helping shield us from a lot of the volatility on the markets..

The TSX shed three hundred points yesterday..

The New York one was down 358 points.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"We don't touch the markets.

We only invest in physical property and goods.

My parents own rental properties. I wouldn't touch real estate with a 10 metre disinfectant barge pole. They are a money pit. The only time they have ever made money from them is when they sell them. Even then, it wasn't worth it.

RW

I've made a lot of money on real estate transactions like over $50,000 in just over a year.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I've made a lot of money on real estate transactions like over $50,000 in just over a year.

It might not be a bad investment for my husband and I..

He is a master electrician and can do plumbing, rough and finish carpentry..

We have only two and a half years left on our mortgage..

If there are fixer uppers available then, it might be worth it for us to buy one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I've made a lot of money on real estate transactions like over $50,000 in just over a year.

What you flipped them?

BTW, the markets are having their worst week since 2009. The Dow could close the day 500 points lower. The TSX is 200+points lower as of now. WTI oil slipped below $40/barrel briefly. That and the precarious Chinese economy are the prime reasons.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"

What you flipped them?

BTW, the markets are having their worst week since 2009. The Dow could close the day 500 points lower. The TSX is 200+points lower as of now. WTI oil slipped below $40/barrel briefly. That and the precarious Chinese economy are the prime reasons.

I bought a house in Van, lived in it, sold it 18 months later at a $50,000 profit.  Bought another house in another market that's now assessed at $100,000 more than we paid.  That's ASSESSMENT value.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

What you flipped them?

I bought a house in Van, lived in it, sold it 18 months later at a $50,000 profit.  Bought another house in another market that's now assessed at $100,000 more than we paid.  That's ASSESSMENT value.

We have two residences, a house in the Czuk and a condo in Fort McMurray. The city assessed our house higher than the market value and that was before the economy soured. I guess our leftist city council wants to justify their 6+% property tax increases.

cc

In perspective, TSX this past week folllowed by the past 3 months

(DOW down 530 today alone)
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"Socially Respondible Investing is my MO.  No tobacco, no alcohol, no banks.  Venture capital investing in SRI companies.  I have some diversification in tech but nothing too exciting.

I don't know everything that's in our mutual..

I don't know how or why anyone would avoid banks?

How does the average person become a venture capital investor.

I don't like big banks.

You invest in a venture capital fund.

Are they managed?

Are there various risk levels like mutuals?

Not that I know of.  As far as I know, they are considered high risk.

They are high risk/high return. I would not recommend them for the average investor.

cc

QuoteThey are high risk/high return

May I suggest phrasing that as  high risk/ "Potential or Possible" high return

While that is implied, reminding myself of it is how I keep all risky stuff in perspective

Doesn't mean I won't go risky, but when I do it's only when all indicators are right  .. and the stars are aligned right, lol

Anonymous

Thank you to Fashionista for her suggestion. I feel privileged to be able to start this thread. I will post some market related information on a day to day basis. I don't know everything and I invite others to tell us their investment victories and losses.

If you wouldn't mind, please merge my other thread under this title.

RW

What you flipped them?

We have two residences, a house in the Czuk and a condo in Fort McMurray. The city assessed our house higher than the market value and that was before the economy soured. I guess our leftist city council wants to justify their 6+% property tax increases.

I understand fully the implications of higher assessment values but comparables in the neighbourhood are selling for $40,000-$50,000 over assessed value.  I won't pay capital gains on that either.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Would you prefer a thread or a whole subforum?
Beware of Gaslighters!

cc

When mate was full time a summer contractor, he built a house during winter.

We got 2 gains.

We would live in each for a year and sell with no cap gains of course.

He could keep a couple of key employees on for the winter, ready to go for summer contracts

It served us and the business well.  

We are lucky here. In the US, cap gains hit hard, although they can deduct mortgage payments from income