The best topic

Replies: 10550
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 05, 2024, 09:26:27 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Fashionista"My husband just put more of his RRSP's into mutual funds.

:sad:

I hope he's maxed out his TFSA allowance?

You can have one also, right, which is considered separate.

His company matches his RRSP contributions..

And yes, we have added to our TFSA's.

Angry White Male

Have you considered ETF's instead of mutual funds?

I won't fucking touch mutual funds, but there's some decent ETF's out there that can give you some nice reach, be it local or global, with less "operating expenses."

Anonymous

Canada's main stock index surged more than 200 points in a broad-based advance as U.S. stocks rallied for a second session in a row, erasing some of the massive losses suffered last week.

The S&P/TSX composite index advanced 207.35 points or 1.38 per cent to 15,241.88 on Monday, with materials and gold stocks leading the way.

In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average soared 410.37 points or 1.70 per cent to 24,601.27. The S&P 500 index was up 36.45 points or 1.39 per cent to 2,656.00, and the Nasdaq composite index was up 107.47 points or 1.56 per cent to 6,981.96.

On the commodities front, the March crude contract was up nine cents to $59.29 (U.S.) per barrel after sharp drops all of last week and the March natural gas contract was down three cents at $2.55 per mmBTU.

The April gold contract was up $10.70 to $1,326.40 an ounce and the March copper contract was up five cents to $3.09 a pound.

Anonymous

Trinidad Drilling, a drilling contractor I have  worked with many times in the past is becoming the latest victim of Canada's anti industry stupidity. Trudeau and Notley's loss is a gain for American workers.

http://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/trinidad-drilling-launches-strategic-review-including-possible-sale-of-company">http://business.financialpost.com/pmn/b ... of-company">http://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/trinidad-drilling-launches-strategic-review-including-possible-sale-of-company

ALGARY — Three weeks after announcing it would move two idle Canadian drilling rigs and three from Saudi Arabia to greener pastures in the United States, Trinidad Drilling Ltd. has put itself on the block.

The Calgary-based oil and gas drilling company said Tuesday it has appointed a committee to look at options including a corporate sale or merger because its share price doesn't reflect what it believes is its true value.

The news comes as Canada's oil and gas producers continue to budget for lower exploration and production spending this year than their American counterparts — Peters & Co. has estimated Canadian spending will fall six per cent this year while U.S. spending rises 14 per cent.

Winter is the most active season for Canada's drilling industry because the frozen ground permits access to more backcountry drilling sites.

In an interview in late January, Trinidad CEO Brent Conway said his American customers in the prolific Permian Basin in Texas are helping to pay relocation costs because they want to contract his rigs.

"What's happening in the U.S.? They're lowering taxes, they're building pipelines and they're starting to export oil," he said.

In Canada, he added, "we've raised taxes, we're increasing costs because of labour laws that are changing, we aren't building pipelines and we can't get federal or provincial governments to do anything to help us."

Anonymous

Dow plunges 420 points after Trump says tariffs are coming next week — with automakers and manufacturers getting hit the hardest

The Dow Jones industrial average plunged 420 points Thursday following an announcement by President Donald Trump that he would place new taxes on imported steel and aluminum. The index was down 589 points at its worst levels of the day.

The S&P 500 closed down 1.32%, making for the first time January 2016 that it fell more than 1% in three consecutive sessions. The Nasdaq 100 finished down 1.51%.

US Steel was one of the few stocks to stay in the green, gaining 5.75% on the news that foreign steel would be subject to a 25% import tax. Aluminum will be taxed at a 10% rate.

"Our Steel and Aluminum industries (and many others) have been decimated by decades of unfair trade and bad policy with countries from around the world," Trump tweeted Thursday morning. "We must not let our country, companies and workers be taken advantage of any longer. We want free, fair and SMART TRADE!"'

Speaking on CNBC, Dan DiMicco, former CEO of steel producer Nucor, said a $1,000-per-ton increase in the price of steel could raise the price of a car by $200 or more. Shares of the company gained 3%.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/dow-plunges-after-trump-says-tariffs-are-coming-next-week-2018-3-1017596059">http://markets.businessinsider.com/news ... 1017596059">http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/dow-plunges-after-trump-says-tariffs-are-coming-next-week-2018-3-1017596059

I could understand tariffs on Chinese or Russian steel, but on Canadian steel and aluminum will cost Americans.

Anonymous

The Dow surged 441 points, or 1.8%, after the Labor Department reported that the economy gained 313,000 jobs in February. The Nasdaq closed at a record high, gaining 1.6%, and the S&P 500 climbed 1.4%.

Investors were watching the Labor Department's wage growth number closely.

"Overall the February jobs report is the best of both worlds -- strong job growth without accelerating wage inflation -- It's not too hot not too cold, a Goldilocks report," said Alec Young, managing director of Global Markets Research, FTSE Russell.

The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index ended the day 39.11 points, or 0.25 percent, higher at 15,577.81. It is up 1.26 percent for the week.

The Canadian economy added 15,400 jobs in February after a big loss in January, but full-time positions shrank and wage growth decelerated.

The 10 best performers on the index were dominated by energy and mining companies, including Pretium Resources, Detour Gold and Freehold Royalties.

Copper futures advanced 1.8 percent to $6,957.50 a tonne, while U.S. oil futures jumped 3.2 percent to $62.03 a barrel.

Gold futures reversed earlier losses to trade up 0.1 percent at $1,323.50 an ounce.

Angry White Male

Canadian stocks are underperforming big time.  If it wasn't for the fact that most of my holdings pay dividends, I'd honestly be better with my cash sitting in a low interest savings account these days.

I don't know why things are so sluggish, but the solid growth of years ago seems destined to remain nothing but a memory.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Canadian stocks are underperforming big time.  If it wasn't for the fact that most of my holdings pay dividends, I'd honestly be better with my cash sitting in a low interest savings account these days.

I don't know why things are so sluggish, but the solid growth of years ago seems destined to remain nothing but a memory.

I  know what you mean, our investments are not doing well wither.

Angry White Male

I'm trying to build up investments for retirement, but at this rate things won't be as good as they should be.  And this is all across the board!

The only things gaining in value around here that I see, is real estate.  In hindsight, I should have bought a second condo and rented it out, as the gains would have been good.  Of course, you now deal with renters, but they cannot all be scum trash...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I'm trying to build up investments for retirement, but at this rate things won't be as good as they should be.  And this is all across the board!

The only things gaining in value around here that I see, is real estate.  In hindsight, I should have bought a second condo and rented it out, as the gains would have been good.  Of course, you now deal with renters, but they cannot all be scum trash...

We're in the same boat Mel..

But, around here real estate is stagnant too.

Angry White Male

Winning the lottery seems to be the only solution these days.  That, or high level drug dealing.

cc

Ya. We are focused more on coast area real estate of late for the reasons above .. seems the condo we got 3 yrs ago and live in has pretty much doubled to date

Those invested in US stocks a year ago + have done well though .. assuming they know when to bail
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

We are seeing the tech wreck. The FAANG(Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google) stocks in particular are leading the market treat. The tech sector long term is till positive.

Anonymous

The Dow Jones closed one per cent higher at 24,505.

Strength in the energy sector helped push Canada's main stock index to triple-digit gains Thursday as worries about a trade war between China and the United States eased.

In the end, the S&P/TSX composite index closed up 191.68 points or 1.26% at 15,356.05, led by energy and base metal

Anonymous

At 2:07 p.m. ET, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 463.02 points, or 1.87 per cent, at 24,293.40, the S&P 500 was down 4.20 points, or 1.48 per cent, at 2,680.98 and the Nasdaq Composite was down 60.68 points, or 0.82 per cent, at 7,372.70.

Political crisis in Italy triggered a rush to safe-haven assets as the prospects of a repeat election in euro zone's third largest economy raised doubts about the country's future in the economic bloc. Some major bank stocks sank as much as 5 per cent after JP Morgan corporate and investment bank chief Daniel Pinto suggested second-quarter markets revenue would be flat on the year, driving 1.7-per-cent and 1.2-per-cent falls in the Dow and the S&P, respectively.

Canada's main stock index also slipped lower on Tuesday due to losses in financial stocks led by Bank of Nova Scotia , which reported quarterly results.

The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index down 87.05 points, or 0.54 per cent, to 15,929.10.

The financials sector fell 1.7 per cent, dragged by a 3.6-per-cent fall in shares of Bank of Nova Scotia.

Shares of Toronto-Dominion Bank slipped 1.4 per cent and were the second biggest drag to the financials.

The energy sector climbed 0.6 per cent as Brent crude pared losses, triggered by expectations that Saudi Arabia and Russia could pump more crude to compensate for a potential supply shortfall.

Shares of Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd erased early gains and fell 1.8 per cent after the Canadian government said it will buy the Trans Mountain pipeline project for $4.5-billion.

The Canadian dollar weakened to a more than two-month low against its U.S. counterpart as oil prices fell and the greenback broadly rose, while investors weighed a decision by Canada's government to purchase a major oil pipeline project.