The best topic

Replies: 6951
Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 01, 2024, 01:57:41 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

caskur

Quote from: JOE on March 03, 2024, 01:55:18 PMI think silver might be useful in Hard Times (which I believe is coming) because most people probably won't be able to afford gold. But they'll likely be able to afford silver. As you say, what will be tradeable for food? Silver probably.

Gold will be tradeable for large amounts of money & big ticket items/land, but I think it'll be the banks, governments and large financial institutions that'll buy it up (or possbily expropriate it in some countries). But once they do, they won't return it. They'll keep it for themselves. Just like what the Elites/Wealthy on every continent/empire have done throughout history for thousands of years.

But I think silver might end up being traded in the emerging underground economy.

The most valuable commodity  of all is clean drinkable water. It is more valuable than gold or silver can ever be.

And fresh food. You cannot eat gold or silver.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Quote from: caskur on March 03, 2024, 02:24:19 PMThe most valuable commodity  of all is clean drinkable water. It is more valuable than gold or silver can ever be.

And fresh food. You cannot eat gold or silver.

I know that Australia has a shortage of fresh water.
They have many things, but water seems ta be yer guys achiles heel, eh?

JOE

Here's an Investing perspective from a politically conservative millionaire who appears to be a supporter of Donald Trump whom ya'll seem to adore

The most relevant part of the video is 30:00 onwards:

He more or less says what I've been saying.

-Buy Gold & be wary of an overpriced stock market which he says is at least 150% overvalued & that the days of Big Gains are over. Says he's happy with 5% returns.

-Buy only when there are deals to be had.
-Build a Hedge Fund.
-Prepare for what he says are difficult economic times ahead.

I think TheProwler might want to watch the video & learn a thing or 2.

caskur

Quote from: JOE on March 03, 2024, 02:32:35 PMI know that Australia has a shortage of fresh water.
They have many things, but water seems ta be yer guys achiles heel, eh?

Yep, water is a problem... both ways actually... too little or too much.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Our superannuation fund pays us 9% interest.
- Andy Warhol

Thiel

A bill announced in the U.S. House could scrap federal taxes on Social Security benefits starting in 2025, while introducing a new funding stream that might keep the program going for an additional 20 years.

The big change in the bill with how benefits are financed has to with the Social Security payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay tax on 6.2% of wages up to a maximum of $168,600 in 2024 — the self-employed pay 12.4% in taxes. The proposed bill would kick the payroll tax back into gear once earnings exceed $250,000, leaning on high earners to increase funding.

These financing measures might allow retirees to afford enjoying their full Social Security benefits. At present, folks with a combined income — which includes your adjusted gross income, plus nontaxable interest, plus half of your Social Security benefits — of $25,000 or more (and couples filing jointly with a combined income of $32,000 or more) currently pay taxes on at least 50% of their benefits. The bill would eliminate these taxes.

According to the SSA, about 40% of people who receive Social Security benefits end up paying taxes on them each year.
gay, conservative and proud

Herman

The Canadian dollar weakened to a four month low against its U.S. counterpart today.

It clawed back some losses as investors raised bets the Bank of Canada would begin cutting interest rates in June following weaker-than-expected jobs data.

Canada's economy shed 2,200 jobs in March, missing estimates for a gain of 25,000, while the jobless rate increased to a new 26-month high of 6.1%.

Oliver the Second

I put all my money into Brawndo stocks!

caskur

Quote from: Herman on April 05, 2024, 07:24:39 PMThe Canadian dollar weakened to a four month low against its U.S. counterpart today.

It clawed back some losses as investors raised bets the Bank of Canada would begin cutting interest rates in June following weaker-than-expected jobs data.

Canada's economy shed 2,200 jobs in March, missing estimates for a gain of 25,000, while the jobless rate increased to a new 26-month high of 6.1%.

your summer is coming so your jobs sector will inccrease through tourism requirements.
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Quote from: Herman on April 05, 2024, 07:24:39 PMThe Canadian dollar weakened to a four month low against its U.S. counterpart today.

One possible way to nullify the effects of currency devaluation is to buy silver and gold. Even if they fall in price they are a better bet than saving in Canadian dollars because they will fall faster and further than gold and silver which are denominated in stronger currencies such as the US dollar or the Euro.

If past recessions are any indication, an economic downturn could send the Canadian dollar even further down to below 70 cents US.

So you may as well own gold and silver to absorb the currency shock due to devaluation

Other currencies which are similarly vulnerable include the Australian and New Zealand dollar.

Herman

Quote from: JOE on April 07, 2024, 02:04:08 PMOne possible way to nullify the effects of currency devaluation is to buy silver and gold. Even if they fall in price they are a better bet than saving in Canadian dollars because they will fall faster and further than gold and silver which are denominated in stronger currencies such as the US dollar or the Euro.

If past recessions are any indication, an economic downturn could send the Canadian dollar even further down to below 70 cents US.

So you may as well own gold and silver to absorb the currency shock due to devaluation

Other currencies which are similarly vulnerable include the Australian and New Zealand dollar.
Whatever you say Joe.

Thiel

Federal Reserve officials said at their last meeting that they needed more evidence that inflation was heading lower before reducing interest rates. That isn't what the March consumer price index provided on Wednesday.

New consumer price index data for March showing headline inflation accelerated to a 3.5% annual rate from 3.2% in the prior month, and a separate "core" measure excluding food and energy prices stalled at 3.8%.

DKG

The Chinese yuan has surged past the US dollar to become the predominant foreign currency in Russia. New metrics show a major shift: 42% of Russia's foreign currency transactions now involve the yuan, surpassing the dollar's 35%.

This rise indicates a robust shift towards the yuan, spurred by Russia's need to dodge heavy US sanctions. These sanctions have squeezed Russia out of many global financial markets, prompting a pivot to alternatives like the yuan for trade and offshore transactions.

The currency market is heating up globally. In Asia, nations are on their toes due to the dollar's strength. South Korea, Thailand, and Poland are watching their currency fluctuations closely, ready to intervene if things get shaky. Indonesia is already taking action by offloading US dollars to shore up its own currency.

The situation is stirred further by recent US economic reports showing inflation rates higher than anticipated, hinting that the Federal Reserve might hold off on reducing interest rates. This has kept the dollar robust, complicating efforts in emerging markets to manage their currencies.

Thiel

Canada's dollar could could drop to fifty cents vs the USD. Our economies are diverging with Canada's economy going in the wrong direction.

This won't happen overnight. But, it is a slow erosion.

DKG

Forecasts for U.S. home prices suddenly look a lot different compared to just a month ago, according to Freddie Mac's latest outlook.

Price will increase only 0.5% in 2024 and 2025, the mortgage giant said Thursday. That's down sharply from its forecast in March, when it predicted home prices would rise 2.5% in 2024 and 2.1% 2025. The view for 2024 has suffered especially compared to the start of the year, when prices were seen rising 2.8%.

To be sure, a less aggressive trajectory for home-price gains sounds like good news for prospective buyers. But when combined with still-limited inventory and higher-for-longer rates, the overall picture isn't a major improvement.