Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Why I avoid Asian Food

Started by J0E, September 06, 2015, 06:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "RW"You just contradicted yourself.  You said foods are rich is glumatic acid yet quote "foods rich is glutamate..."  Glutamate itself is found in foods.  If you don't believe me, read your own quote again.

Glutamate itself is also one of the most prevalent neurotransmitters in the body and is involved in cognitive function and memory.

There is also currently no scientific evidence that supports MSG as being harmful.  Scientists have not been able to replicate issues from MSG in a scientific setting.

So why must I violently vomit after eating items with added MSG, RW? For real.

Because MSG ingested as an additive can't be absorbed by the body properly. When you eat a tomato you are ingesting glumatic acid in its natural state where it is combined with the entire chemical make up of a tomato. The body can then regulate the absorption of the protein.

If you eat glutamate as a straight additive you get an overload of the protein that some people can't handle.

Because straight MSG alone acts like an "expressway" into the bloodstream and cannot be regulated proplerly, is why you puke and I get headaches and swelling.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"For more information: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm">http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPack ... 328728.htm">http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

Yeah the FDA used to say that fluoride was safe to put in the drinking water too.  :laugh3:

The FDA is just another government agency full of clowns who are for sale to the highest bidder.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"You just contradicted yourself.  You said foods are rich is glumatic acid yet quote "foods rich is glutamate..."  Glutamate itself is found in foods.  If you don't believe me, read your own quote again.

Glutamate itself is also one of the most prevalent neurotransmitters in the body and is involved in cognitive function and memory.

There is also currently no scientific evidence that supports MSG as being harmful.  Scientists have not been able to replicate issues from MSG in a scientific setting.

Because MSG ingested as an additive can't be absorbed by the body properly. When you eat a tomato you are ingesting glumatic acid in its natural state where it is combined with the entire chemical make up of a tomato. The body can then regulate the absorption of the protein.

If you eat glutamate as a straight additive you get an overload of the protein that some people can't handle.

Because straight MSG alone acts like an "expressway" into the bloodstream and cannot be regulated proplerly, is why you puke and I get headaches and swelling.

Protein?  It's an amino acid.

No offence Renee, but you sound like you know what you're talking about but you don't quite have the chemistry right.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"

No offence Renee, but you sound like you know what you're talking about but you don't quite have the chemistry right.

You are correct, it's an amino acid but amino acids linked together make protein. To be accurate MSG, is a salt of the amino acid.  Basically one mono-sodium atom is "stuck" to the amino acid glutamate.

Sorry for my confused terminology.

RW

You are correct, it's an amino acid but amino acids linked together make protein. To be accurate MSG, is a salt of the amino acid.  Basically one mono-sodium atom is "stuck" to the amino acid glutamate.

Yes I know but it's glutamate that is found in food.  Originally, MSG came from the dehydration of seaweed broth.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

I can't eat seaweed without major stomach pain and massive weight loss. There might be something in what you two are talking about.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"I can't eat seaweed without major stomach pain and massive weight loss. There might be something in what you two are talking about.

Go to the doctor.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Yes I know but it's glutamate that is found in food.  Originally, MSG came from the dehydration of seaweed broth.

Actually it comes from fermented and then dehydrated seaweed. As I stated over and over you have to break down the glumatic acid through fermentation to form glutamate.

Frood

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"I can't eat seaweed without major stomach pain and massive weight loss. There might be something in what you two are talking about.

Go to the doctor.

I opted for the easier option and stopped eating wakame.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"...3 letters - MSG.

I always get a reaction to many Asian foods after consuming them.

And its always the same.

Tightening of the skin muscles around the face as if its being pulled

Temporary pain in the joints, hands and sometimes feet which feels like the onset of arthritis.

Sometimes upset stomach as if something didn't go down well.

...which is unfortunate because I often like the food and taste of many of their dishes.

However, I feel its not worth it because of the side effects.

You don't eat bulgogi or kalbi? You don't know what you are missing.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"As I stated over and over you have to break down the glumatic acid through fermentation to form glutamate.

This statement ^^^ is incorrect.  You don't have to ferment glutamic acid to form glutamate.  For all intents and purposes, glatamic acid = glutamate.  Glutamic Acid, or its ionic form, Glutamate is glutamic acid in it's ionic form meaning it has a mineral ion such as sodium.  You do NOT need fermentation to produce glutamate as it is produced naturally all over the damn place.

Back in the day, it was EXTRACTED from seaweed broth.  These days, it is made from fermentation, however fermentation is not required to make MSG nor is it required to make glutamate.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

Quote from: "Renee"As I stated over and over you have to break down the glumatic acid through fermentation to form glutamate.

This statement ^^^ is incorrect.  You don't have to ferment glutamic acid to form glutamate.  For all intents and purposes, glatamic acid = glutamate.  Glutamic Acid, or its ionic form, Glutamate is glutamic acid in it's ionic form meaning it has a mineral ion such as sodium.  You do NOT need fermentation to produce glutamate as it is produced naturally all over the damn place.

Back in the day, it was EXTRACTED from seaweed broth.  These days, it is made from fermentation, however fermentation is not required to make MSG nor is it required to make glutamate.

The white crystallized power we know as MSG (glutamate) is made by by submerged bacterial fermentation of carbohydrates. Before the 1950s hydroclorhic acid was used to extract the glumatic salt.

Glutamte in it's free form is found in a wide variety of foods but in order to separate it as a crystalline salt (monsodium glutimate) the host vegetable protein, seaweed, etc MUST be fermented.

Glumatic acid and glutimate are not exactly the same thing. They are chemical names for similar substances. Because of their similarities in function lazy chemists will often use the names interchangeably.

The chemical chain formula of glutamic acid, = CH2CH2COOH.

The chemical chain formula of glutimate = CH2CH2COO

As you can see glutimate loses one of it's hydrogen atoms which make it similar but different. Not only does glutimate lose a hydrogen ion but when extracted as in the making of MSG, it gets a mineral ion attached to it.  If the mineral ion is salt, the glutamic acid becomes sodium glutamate.  In the case of potassium, the glutamic acid becomes potassium glutamate.

In essence Renee and you are both correct. Hopefully that puts an end to this retarded discussion but if I know anything about women, one of you will find something, no matter how inane, to come back with.

J0E

I've eaten Italian food made by Italians and while they say tomatoes and cheese contain lots of glutamic acid, some say MSG, I've never had the same side effects as many Asian foods.

Greek, Russian, Iranian - I think, are MSG free because I don't feel any side effects.

Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese - the symptoms are often there. Sore joints being one of them - like why do my bones hurt so much?

RW

Quote from: "Wulf"

The white crystallized power we know as MSG (glutamate) is made by by submerged bacterial fermentation of carbohydrates. Before the 1950s hydroclorhic acid was used to extract the glumatic salt.

Glutamte in it's free form is found in a wide variety of foods but in order to separate it as a crystalline salt (monsodium glutimate) the host vegetable protein, seaweed, etc MUST be fermented.

Glumatic acid and glutimate are not exactly the same thing. They are chemical names for similar substances. Because of their similarities in function lazy chemists will often use the names interchangeably.

As you can see glutimate loses one of it's hydrogen atoms which make it similar but different. Not only does glutimate lose a hydrogen ion but when extracted as in the making of MSG, it gets a mineral ion attached to it.  If the mineral ion is salt, the glutamic acid becomes sodium glutamate.  In the case of potassium, the glutamic acid becomes potassium glutamate.

In essence Renee and you are both correct. Hopefully that puts an end to this retarded discussion but if I know anything about women, one of you will find something, no matter how inane, to come back with.

No, in essence we aren't.  I fully understand the difference between the acid and the salt.  I understand and stated MSG is made from a fermentation process.  You have reiterated what I have said.  Thanks for the support :P
Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

Quote from: "Wulf"

No, in essence we aren't.  I fully understand the difference between the acid and the salt.  I understand and stated MSG is made from a fermentation process.  You have reiterated what I have said.  Thanks for the support :P

If you really want to get in your face technical, I could of said YOU are fucking wrong, but I was nice about it. Technically on the basis of their chemical make-up they are NOT one and the same as you are trying to claim.

Was my warning regarding an inane comeback not clear enough?????