Why I avoid Asian Food

Started by J0E, September 06, 2015, 06:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: "Wulf"
Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Renee"As I stated over and over you have to break down the glumatic acid through fermentation to form glutamate.

This statement ^^^ is incorrect.  You don't have to ferment glutamic acid to form glutamate.  For all intents and purposes, glatamic acid = glutamate.  Glutamic Acid, or its ionic form, Glutamate is glutamic acid in it's ionic form meaning it has a mineral ion such as sodium.  You do NOT need fermentation to produce glutamate as it is produced naturally all over the damn place.

Back in the day, it was EXTRACTED from seaweed broth.  These days, it is made from fermentation, however fermentation is not required to make MSG nor is it required to make glutamate.

The white crystallized power we know as MSG (glutamate) is made by by submerged bacterial fermentation of carbohydrates. Before the 1950s hydroclorhic acid was used to extract the glumatic salt.

Glutamte in it's free form is found in a wide variety of foods but in order to separate it as a crystalline salt (monsodium glutimate) the host vegetable protein, seaweed, etc MUST be fermented.

Glumatic acid and glutimate are not exactly the same thing. They are chemical names for similar substances. Because of their similarities in function lazy chemists will often use the names interchangeably.

The chemical chain formula of glutamic acid, = CH2CH2COOH.

The chemical chain formula of glutimate = CH2CH2COO

As you can see glutimate loses one of it's hydrogen atoms which make it similar but different. Not only does glutimate lose a hydrogen ion but when extracted as in the making of MSG, it gets a mineral ion attached to it.  If the mineral ion is salt, the glutamic acid becomes sodium glutamate.  In the case of potassium, the glutamic acid becomes potassium glutamate.

In essence Renee and you are both correct. Hopefully that puts an end to this retarded discussion but if I know anything about women, one of you will find something, no matter how inane, to come back with.

No, in essence we aren't.  I fully understand the difference between the acid and the salt.  I understand and stated MSG is made from a fermentation process.  You have reiterated what I have said.  Thanks for the support :P

If you really want to get in your face technical, I could of said YOU are fucking wrong, but I was nice about it. Technically on the basis of their chemical make-up they are NOT one and the same as you are trying to claim.

Was my warning regarding an inane comeback not clear enough?????

The difference is a hydrogen atom.  I know that.  As you even stated, they are considered damn near the same by scientists.  That's a fucking fact Wulf. MSG is glutamate with a sodium ion.  I already know this.  What I also know is you don't ferment glutamic acid to get glutamate.  

Don't play holier than thou with me on chemistry either.  I understand this whole thing just fine.  I don't need your extended explaination so stuff it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

Quote from: "Renee"As I stated over and over you have to break down the glumatic acid through fermentation to form glutamate.

This statement ^^^ is incorrect.  You don't have to ferment glutamic acid to form glutamate.  For all intents and purposes, glatamic acid = glutamate.  Glutamic Acid, or its ionic form, Glutamate is glutamic acid in it's ionic form meaning it has a mineral ion such as sodium.  You do NOT need fermentation to produce glutamate as it is produced naturally all over the damn place.

Back in the day, it was EXTRACTED from seaweed broth.  These days, it is made from fermentation, however fermentation is not required to make MSG nor is it required to make glutamate.

The white crystallized power we know as MSG (glutamate) is made by by submerged bacterial fermentation of carbohydrates. Before the 1950s hydroclorhic acid was used to extract the glumatic salt.

Glutamte in it's free form is found in a wide variety of foods but in order to separate it as a crystalline salt (monsodium glutimate) the host vegetable protein, seaweed, etc MUST be fermented.

Glumatic acid and glutimate are not exactly the same thing. They are chemical names for similar substances. Because of their similarities in function lazy chemists will often use the names interchangeably.

As you can see glutimate loses one of it's hydrogen atoms which make it similar but different. Not only does glutimate lose a hydrogen ion but when extracted as in the making of MSG, it gets a mineral ion attached to it.  If the mineral ion is salt, the glutamic acid becomes sodium glutamate.  In the case of potassium, the glutamic acid becomes potassium glutamate.

In essence Renee and you are both correct. Hopefully that puts an end to this retarded discussion but if I know anything about women, one of you will find something, no matter how inane, to come back with.

No, in essence we aren't.  I fully understand the difference between the acid and the salt.  I understand and stated MSG is made from a fermentation process.  You have reiterated what I have said.  Thanks for the support :P

If you really want to get in your face technical, I could of said YOU are fucking wrong, but I was nice about it. Technically on the basis of their chemical make-up they are NOT one and the same as you are trying to claim.

Was my warning regarding an inane comeback not clear enough?????

The difference is a hydrogen atom.  I know that.  As you even stated, they are considered damn near the same by scientists.  That's a fucking fact Wulf. MSG is glutamate with a sodium ion.  I already know this.  What I also know is you don't ferment glutamic acid to get glutamate.  

Don't play holier than thou with me on chemistry either.  I understand this whole thing just fine.  I don't need your extended explaination so stuff it.

Okay we are going to try this one more time because sorry, but you don't know everything that you think you know.

Tell me smarty pants, just how does glumatic acid lose that hydrogen atom?????

Well here it is whether you what to believe it or not. It loses that atom by placing the host material, in this case vegetable protein, into a base solution of 7.0 ph with some kind of glucose and yeast. You then add heat and raise the ph level to about 7.5 ph. This releases the hydrogen atom to form the chemical compound known as glutamate.

BTW, that process, in case you didn't know, is also known as........FERMEN-FUCKING-TATION. :laugh3:

Okay now that we have that settled, just let me say that you are about as hard headed a woman as I have ever come across. If I didn't have sympathy for the inspector before,......he sure has it now. ac_toofunny

Just sayin. But hey if you want to go down with this ship....be my guest.

RW

You are being condescending while agreeing with me.  You have yet to say anything I haven't already said it didn't already know.

A yeast and sugar aka fermentation is NOT REQUIRED for glutamic acid to release its hydrogen atom.  Only a pH change is required.  This process occurs naturally.  What part of this are you failing to grasp?

If you don't believe me, here's a link http://www.imgt.org/IMGTeducation/Aide-memoire/_UK/aminoacids/charge/">http://www.imgt.org/IMGTeducation/Aide- ... ds/charge/">http://www.imgt.org/IMGTeducation/Aide-memoire/_UK/aminoacids/charge/

Feel sorry for yourself because you too are incorrect in your fermentation requirement assertion.  Next time you decide to respond, BE CORRECT.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

Quote from: "RW"You are being condescending while agreeing with me.  You have yet to say anything I haven't already said it didn't already know.

A yeast and sugar aka fermentation is NOT REQUIRED for glutamic acid to release its hydrogen atom.  Only a pH change is required.  This process occurs naturally.  What part of this are you failing to grasp?

If you don't believe me, here's a link http://www.imgt.org/IMGTeducation/Aide-memoire/_UK/aminoacids/charge/">http://www.imgt.org/IMGTeducation/Aide- ... ds/charge/">http://www.imgt.org/IMGTeducation/Aide-memoire/_UK/aminoacids/charge/

Feel sorry for yourself because you too are incorrect in your fermentation requirement assertion.  Next time you decide to respond, BE CORRECT.

Is this thread not about MSG?????

In the context of the discussion, you need to convert the glumatic acid to form the chemical compound glutamate. In this case, that is done through fermentation.  It seems to me that you want to go from step "A" all the way to conclusion simply because you think taking the discussion outside the context of the subject, is a way to prove yourself right.

I don't see where the discussion strays from MSG in either it's possible physical side effects or production of. Regardless of how you raise the ph, it still has to be performed in order to release that hydrogen atom and in this specific case, it takes place during the fermentation process. So when you claim that you don't have to ferment vegetable protein to form glutamate you are technically correct but under the context of this thread and as a point of argument, it really has very little relevance.

RW

Quote from: "RW"Glutamate is naturally occurring in the above mentioned.

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid.  It used to be made from an extraction process from foods rich in it such as seaweed.  Now it's made by fermenting starches, beats or molasses.

I said that on page one as quoted here. ^^^^

Keep up slappy.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Wulf

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid.  It used to be made from an extraction process from foods rich in it such as seaweed.  Now it's made by fermenting starches, beats or molasses.

Keep up slappy.

So now we are going to debate in circles? Did you learn that tactic from Romero? :negative:

You also claimed Renee was "incorrect" when she was speaking to the production of MSG and stated that seaweed need to be put thru a fermentation process to form glutimate.  I'm not sure how you could have read that post as "incorrect" because in the context of this subject, it was 100% correct.

I suggest you go back and read because either you are jumping the gun to make yourself look like you know everything (which is normal for you) or you are just flat out confused and contradicting yourself.

RW

Keep up slappy.

So now we are going to debate in circles? Did you learn that tactic from Romero? :negative:

You also claimed Renee was "incorrect" when she was speaking to the production of MSG and stated that seaweed need to be put thru a fermentation process to form glutimate.  I'm not sure how you could have read that post as "incorrect" because in the context of this subject, it was 100% correct.

I suggest you go back and read because either you are jumping the gun to make yourself look like you know everything (which is normal for you) or you are just flat out confused and contradicting yourself.

Seaweed doesn't need to be fermented.  Current day processes use fermentation.  As the conversion of glutamic acid to glutamate does NOT require fernentation to take place, said statement was incorrect.  

I suggest you read what I've written rather than repeating most of what I've said.  I have said NOTHING incorrect.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

My wife is from Asia and I love her cooking.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"My wife is from Asia and I love her cooking.

Ahhh, that's so sweet Herman.

@realAzhyaAryola

I am one Asian who only cooks with fresh ground black pepper, low sodium soy sauce, and fresh lemons. I do not have salt nor msg nor fish sauce nor shrimp paste nor sriracha, etc.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I am one Asian who only cooks with fresh ground black pepper, low sodium soy sauce, and fresh lemons. I do not have salt nor msg nor fish sauce nor shrimp paste nor sriracha, etc.

We always have fish sauce in the kitchen. Does it contain msg?

@realAzhyaAryola

It could. Please check the list of ingredients.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I am one Asian who only cooks with fresh ground black pepper, low sodium soy sauce, and fresh lemons. I do not have salt nor msg nor fish sauce nor shrimp paste nor sriracha, etc.

Is your wife Vietnamese Herman?

With Vietnamese cooking, fish sauce is nearly essential.

RW

Does it matter if it does?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Does it matter if it does?

I thought it was bad for your health?