Replies: 7374
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:29:59 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by formosan

Cool Covers

Started by RW, September 07, 2015, 09:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

A cover I bet you didn't know was a cover...

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VChqDZ49k4

Original by The Leaves.

Bricktop

The Stones did this fine cover...

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79shF21lY4I

If I have to state the original artist, you have no purpose being in this thread.

Anonymous

Alice Cooper has a new project called Alice Cooper and the Hollywood Vampires..

It's all covers..

It's pretty good.

Renee

House of the rising Sun is a old folk ballad of uncertain origins. All we really know it that it was written some time in the 19th century. It's been covered by a lot of bands most notably the Animals who took it to No. 1 in the UK, the US, Canada and Australia. But in 1969 a band from Detroit called Frijid Pink released a version that made it into Billboards top 10. While similar to the Animals version it lacks the predominant keyboard work and instead it contains a distorted guitar with fuz and typical wah-wah that is classic late 1960s. I discovered this in my parents record collection years ago and it made an impression on me to the point where I think it might just be the best version ever recorded. I'm sure some crotchety old fart who thinks he knows everything about R&R music will disagree but WTF does he know. He thinks Eric Clapton is an overrated musician.  :laugh:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US9lRkeW-m0
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Bricktop

Until that crotchety old fart you reference comes along, allow me to opine that that is by far the worse rendition of that song ever committed to vinyl.

The only thing that could be worse is Black Sabbath doing a version of The Beatles "Michelle".

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Until that crotchety old fart you reference comes along, allow me to opine that that is by far the worse rendition of that song ever committed to vinyl.

The only thing that could be worse is Black Sabbath doing a version of The Beatles "Michelle".

Too late, he just hobbled in and farted some dust.

All your taste is in your freaking mouth and unfortunately since your head is usually stuck up your ass,.....your taste always reeks of shit.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Bricktop

So, Frijid Pink is a "tasteful" band? Listen again to their TWO contributions to the music industry.

Then ask why 2, or perhaps 3 albums they recorded since were never released, because their label didn't think they could sell more than 4 copies...one to each band member.

Covering traditional songs or ballads with loud distorted guitar work is what bands do when they cannot write their own material. Few carry it off with any degree of musical dexterity...Hendrix with "All Along The Watchtower" stands out. Deep Purple's "Kentucky Woman" was passable.

Frijid Pink is NOT Hendrix or Purple...not by a very long way.

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"So, Frijid Pink is a "tasteful" band? Listen again to their TWO contributions to the music industry.

Then ask why 2, or perhaps 3 albums they recorded since were never released, because their label didn't think they could sell more than 4 copies...one to each band member.

Covering traditional songs or ballads with loud distorted guitar work is what bands do when they cannot write their own material. Few carry it off with any degree of musical dexterity...Hendrix with "All Along The Watchtower" stands out. Deep Purple's "Kentucky Woman" was passable.

Frijid Pink is NOT Hendrix or Purple...not by a very long way.

That clinches it. You are offically and IDIOT.

Did I compare them them to Hendrix or Deep Purple?......No I didn't....I merely stated that I thought their cover of HOTRS MIGHT be the superior recorded version.

Once again you went out into left field in a bullshit attempt to act like a musical know it all and in the process came off like a pompous old bore. (Big Surprise  :oeudC:) Dont you ever get tired of looking stupid?

To be honest I think your taste in music is spotty at best and nothing says that clearer than the fact that you think Aphrodite's Child is a band of some note. Your tin ear is showing old man. But then again how can I blame you. I guess some hairy Greek screeching like he has a hot pickle in his ass is probably about the only thing you DON'T have to turn your hearing aid up to it's max to hear.

Bricktop

Did I say you made any comparison?

I made the comparison, with the conclusion that Frijid Pink do not stack up to those two artists, and thus their re-interpretation of a traditional song with typical American excess and lack of any subtlety is abhorrent.

My sortee into left field was merely to highlight your odious claim that their song was the best variation amongst many. Its a cacophonic catastrophe, yet little wonder it made the American charts, which have been frequently blessed with some of the worst pieces of music ever recorded.

I must admit I am astonished that you challenge my taste in music. If the dirges you post here are any guide, I imagine you'd regard "Metal Machine Music" as a masterpiece.

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Did I say you made any comparison?

I made the comparison, with the conclusion that Frijid Pink do not stack up to those two artists, and thus their re-interpretation of a traditional song with typical American excess and lack of any subtlety is abhorrent.

My sortee into left field was merely to highlight your odious claim that their song was the best variation amongst many. Its a cacophonic catastrophe, yet little wonder it made the American charts, which have been frequently blessed with some of the worst pieces of music ever recorded.

I must admit I am astonished that you challenge my taste in music. If the dirges you post here are any guide, I imagine you'd regard "Metal Machine Music" as a masterpiece.

Why am I NOT surprised that you are "astonished". You are so wrapped up in yourself that you actually believe your own bullshit. Everyone knows that you think yourself the definitive authority on music around here but what escapes you is the fact that almost everyone here knows you to be full of shit as well. :laugh:

BTW, I'm not a fan of Lou Reed, so there. ac_sothere

As far as some of the worst music ever recorded goes we can all thank you Aussies for that shit. It was YOU who brought us the awful falsetto screeching Brit/Aussie's group "The Bee Gees". A musical act who almost single-handedly created a genre of music (disco) that has become the biggest joke in musical history and rightfully so. The best contribution the Gibb brothers ever made to music was when they all fucking died.  ac_toofunny In fact with the exception of AC/DC it's hard to find an Australian band that anyone with a functioning ear can listen to without vomiting.

Furthermore, what do you know about what's on the American music charts? You claim to despise American mass media entertainment and you also claim that you morally superior Assies routinely spurn American entertainment outlets. I think someone is lying through his dentures about not watching or listening to American mass media. It's becoming more and more obvious that you are fascinated with the US based entertainment industry. Don't feel bad, most of the worlds best vapid minds are, it's just that they usually aren't as hypocritical about as you.

RW

You two are wrecking a decent thread.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"You two are wrecking a decent thread.

Sorry, your boyfriend brings out the worst in me.

I'll shut up.

Anonymous

">https://youtu.be/kCEIeWg-0OY  Stop fighting and turn up this awesome NIN cover of Queen. I've got memories to this song that would make Ron Jeremy blush.

Anonymous

">https://youtu.be/R1R4jbnd10I rip Peter Steele. Love this cover.

Anonymous

">https://youtu.be/0tBZFQf--50 me and my mom used to jam this. I like it better than the original...but it's just preference

Print
User actions