The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

The Ten Most Overrated Rock Performers Of All Time

Started by Bricktop, September 09, 2015, 01:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

I really hate being talked down to because I'm younger.  You don't have to "be there" to enjoy a record.  That's the beauty of music.  The fact that younger generations know and appreciate these artists is telling in and of itself.
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

RW

Yeah we are.  Got a problem with that?   ac_beating
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Nothing to see here. Three dumbass, juvenile FEMALES trying to argue issues related to rock legends. Two are even American, ffs, and their notion of a legendary rock band is Kiss.

Their problem is that they fall back on the same tired argument every other "Clapton Is God" advocate uses; that he developed and perfected a guitar playing technique. So?

Chris Squire developed a bass playing technique emulated by many others. Is HE a legend? Rick Wakeman's keyboard playing is mesmerising. Is HE a legend? Mike Oldfield played EVERY instrument on "Tubular Bells". Is HE a legend?

Clapton's catalogue contains sparse major works, and most of those were in collaboration with musicians of equal or greater prowess. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Steve Winwood. Duane Allman. BB King. His solo works were nothing more than MOR elevator music that the faux-intelligentsia treated in the same way as art critics; "Its by Van Gogh, thus it MUST be good".

As I repeatedly ask, ad nauseum...point me to an example or body or work by Clapton that stands tall amongst, say "Ziggy Stardust", "A Day At The Races", "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Paranoid", "Who's Next", "Close To The Edge"...that is, of course, if you snotlings have even HEARD of those albums.

Clapton is a great musician, particularly a guitar player, and deserves to be recognised as such. But does his body of work warrant the accolades? Just because he can play a guitar better than most, and not as good as some?

Not even close.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Nothing to see here. Three dumbass, juvenile FEMALES trying to argue issues related to rock legends. Two are even American, ffs, and their notion of a legendary rock band is Kiss.

Their problem is that they fall back on the same tired argument every other "Clapton Is God" advocate uses; that he developed and perfected a guitar playing technique. So?

Chris Squire developed a bass playing technique emulated by many others. Is HE a legend? Rick Wakeman's keyboard playing is mesmerising. Is HE a legend? Mike Oldfield played EVERY instrument on "Tubular Bells". Is HE a legend?

Clapton's catalogue contains sparse major works, and most of those were in collaboration with musicians of equal or greater prowess. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Steve Winwood. Duane Allman. BB King. His solo works were nothing more than MOR elevator music that the faux-intelligentsia treated in the same way as art critics; "Its by Van Gogh, thus it MUST be good".

As I repeatedly ask, ad nauseum...point me to an example or body or work by Clapton that stands tall amongst, say "Ziggy Stardust", "A Day At The Races", "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Paranoid", "Who's Next", "Close To The Edge"...that is, of course, if you snotlings have even HEARD of those albums.

Clapton is a great musician, particularly a guitar player, and deserves to be recognised as such. But does his body of work warrant the accolades? Just because he can play a guitar better than most, and not as good as some?

Not even close.

I did.  In the paste above.

LTR.
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

Quote from: "RW"Yeah we are.  Got a problem with that?   ac_beating

:tease:

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Nothing to see here. Three dumbass, juvenile FEMALES trying to argue issues related to rock legends. Two are even American, ffs, and their notion of a legendary rock band is Kiss.

Not even close.

Do you see anyone calling any of the above mentioned "overrated"?  No, you do not.

It's also not a contest of who is the best guitarist.  It's how he changed music, which you still fail to acknowledge.  As Renee said, your opinion doesn't count for much when you fail to so much as give a nod to Clapton's contribution to rock music.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

The claim that Clapton changed anything is questionable.

I ask again...name an album or body of work that stands out as a milestone in the history of rock music.

RW

Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton

Steppin' Out gets mentioned a lot as a kickin' song from the above album.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Here's an article from Guitar World for more info: http://www.guitarworld.com/deep-eric-clapton-sixties">http://www.guitarworld.com/deep-eric-clapton-sixties
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I find kiss repugnant. So many assumptions. From a guy who actually acknowledged Britney Spears in a rock themed thread ....smh.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

If he knew music, he would have put KISS and Motley Crue and not even mentioned brittany.

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"Cat got your tongue Spec?

Cat Stevens?

Frood

Blahhhhhh...