Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Creepy stuff that happens on the hospice floor

Started by Anonymous, September 16, 2015, 11:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Dove"So I'm sitting here doing my books...and I can hear one of my residents crying and yelling "go away".  It's just me on this side.  Do I get her pnr....or go in there and plead the blood of Jesus....or both??

Do you work in a nursing home Dove?
 Assisted living, on the advance dementia/hospice floor. I'm a cna

asal

Quote from: "Dove"
Quote from: "Dove"So I'm sitting here doing my books...and I can hear one of my residents crying and yelling "go away".  It's just me on this side.  Do I get her pnr....or go in there and plead the blood of Jesus....or both??

These stories are so disturbing  :sad:  it's good they're being cared for.  you have a tough job Dove.

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"

These stories are so disturbing  :sad:  it's good they're being cared for.  you have a tough job Dove.

Yes, she does have a tough job.

Annie

Do you ever become good friends with any of them and when they pass, it hurts? Or have you been able to distance yourself in that aspect?
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Do you ever become good friends with any of them and when they pass, it hurts? Or have you been able to distance yourself in that aspect?
Yes to both!  I get particularly attached and it does hurt when they die.  I try to keep the understanding that I'm there to make their last days comfortable and livable....not keep them.  But yes it gets hard.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Do you ever become good friends with any of them and when they pass, it hurts? Or have you been able to distance yourself in that aspect?
Yes to both!  I get particularly attached and it does hurt when they die.  I try to keep the understanding that I'm there to make their last days comfortable and livable....not keep them.  But yes it gets hard.

That must be terrible Dove.

:sad:

Anonymous

That must be terrible Dove.

:sad:
It's a blessing, Fash. I love what I do.

Anonymous

For the most part, we suck up our tears and keep working. The company I work for has a hot line for us available 24/7 to speak with a grief therapist and to help us through any personal issues we may be facing in our lives. They are very attentive to us.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"For the most part, we suck up our tears and keep working. The company I work for has a hot line for us available 24/7 to speak with a grief therapist and to help us through any personal issues we may be facing in our lives. They are very attentive to us.

That is good that they understand the emotional toll it takes Dove.

Renee

Quote from: "Dove"For the most part, we suck up our tears and keep working. The company I work for has a hot line for us available 24/7 to speak with a grief therapist and to help us through any personal issues we may be facing in our lives. They are very attentive to us.

That's excellent that you work for a company that cares. I couldn't do what you do; I fall apart just having a dog put down. I can't even imagine getting attached to someone and then losing them on a regular basis. I would die emotionally.

You have my utmost respect.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

I have no idea what your job pays, but whatever it is, it's not enough.

Anonymous

Thank you guys. Awww.  The thing is, if the company isn't invested in our emotional/mental well being, bad things can and do happen.  Sometimes people get so wore down they wind up abusive and negligent towards residents.  Let's say my favorite dies on my shift....I have to be coherent and professional. I can't make mistakes in the paper work.  And I have to be immediately able to continue caring for the other residents as if nothing happened. I can't be all annoyed or put out if ms. Donna gets explosive shits right after Mr Jim passes away and Ms Ruth is wandering into other people's room without her pants on. See what I'm saying?  And I make decent money.....but it has to be about more then a check....or it wouldn't seem enough.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"Thank you guys. Awww.  The thing is, if the company isn't invested in our emotional/mental well being, bad things can and do happen.  Sometimes people get so wore down they wind up abusive and negligent towards residents.  Let's say my favorite dies on my shift....I have to be coherent and professional. I can't make mistakes in the paper work.  And I have to be immediately able to continue caring for the other residents as if nothing happened. I can't be all annoyed or put out if ms. Donna gets explosive shits right after Mr Jim passes away and Ms Ruth is wandering into other people's room without her pants on. See what I'm saying?  And I make decent money.....but it has to be about more then a check....or it wouldn't seem enough.

Good gawd Dove, you're only fucking human. I know you're a tough cookie, but even us tough cookies have our breaking points.

Anonymous

Im pretty self aware, I lean on God, and I love what I do. My coworkers and I are like family as well. We help each other and have fun.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"Im pretty self aware, I lean on God, and I love what I do. My coworkers and I are like family as well. We help each other and have fun.

I think that's the key right there. Much more so than a hotline.