Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

When do you want to die?

Started by J0E, September 17, 2015, 06:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

I know this is a somewhat morbid topic.

However, I've been confronted with this reality because someone close to me may pass on soon.

I've been seeing them suffer as they slowly decay due to effects of Old Age.

While they have every right to live as long as they want, I've begun to ask myself whether its worth it.

Personally, I have no desire to die anytime soon, but I think I don't want to live too long on this earth either.

When it becomes too difficult to perform even the most daily functions, such as putting on one's own clothes, taking a bath, eating, going to the bathroom unassisted, walking, is it worth it to keep on living? I think if I get to that point, I'd just snuff my own life out, no questions asked. No extended suffering, just go rather than outlive one's usefulness or ability to enjoy living.

I feel very lucky to have lived even this long as I've nearly died a violent death a couple of times and I'm still alive and healthy. I guess all a person can ask for is to have loved and lived a good life, but when the time comes, don't live too long.

I dunno, that's just the way I see it. Others may have a different opinion, though.

Anonymous

I think about this often. ..mainly because I work in a hospice setting so I witness death on a regular basis.  I'm also a recovering heroin addict, and I deal with a lot of death around me in my recovery community.  I will say u really don't think we have a "right", persay, to live as long we want.  But you know I believe life has an author, and I trust that author.  How/when do I want to die?  When ever the Lord calls me. I should have been dead a few times over and not everyone gets to live as long as I have....so really everyday is an added bonus.  I just hope whenever my big moment comes, that God will fill my spirit with peace and courage, and joy.  So many people have no idea just how fragile this physical life really is.

Anonymous

"53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."[g]

55 "O Death, where is your sting?[h]

O Hades, where is your victory?""

keeper

Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it.

Anonymous

It's the transition into enternity.

Frood

I'll die when it happens and I'm neutral on it.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Will you accept yesterday as an answer?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Will you accept yesterday as an answer?

I wouldn't accept it.   :negative:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"I know this is a somewhat morbid topic.

However, I've been confronted with this reality because someone close to me may pass on soon.

I've been seeing them suffer as they slowly decay due to effects of Old Age.

While they have every right to live as long as they want, I've begun to ask myself whether its worth it.

Personally, I have no desire to die anytime soon, but I think I don't want to live too long on this earth either.

When it becomes too difficult to perform even the most daily functions, such as putting on one's own clothes, taking a bath, eating, going to the bathroom unassisted, walking, is it worth it to keep on living? I think if I get to that point, I'd just snuff my own life out, no questions asked. No extended suffering, just go rather than outlive one's usefulness or ability to enjoy living.

I feel very lucky to have lived even this long as I've nearly died a violent death a couple of times and I'm still alive and healthy. I guess all a person can ask for is to have loved and lived a good life, but when the time comes, don't live too long.

I dunno, that's just the way I see it. Others may have a different opinion, though.

I want to live as long as I possibly can provided I am reasonably healthy. Assisted living is not a life.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dove""53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."[g]

:2r4ml1j_th:

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"

I understand that in your last will and testament, you've nominated a forklift as your pallbearer.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Dove""53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."[g]

:2r4ml1j_th:
scripture.

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Renee"

I understand that in your last will and testament, you've nominated a forklift as your pallbearer.

I understand your will was just received at the probate office. That's kind of funny because that usually happens AFTER the person is deceased.........Shouldn't someone get you into the ground before you start to decompose?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

the shark hunter

... good topic.  i want to die when living becomes intolerable.  if i'm physically okay, 80 seems reasonable.  however, i see 50 as the line when mortality appears on the horizon ...
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE