News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

I'm thinking of buying in the Okanagan...

Started by smell the glove, June 14, 2016, 03:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gallium

Quote from: "smell the glove"At this point, since I don't need a mortgage anymore, I am thinking of purchasing a small piece of bare land, and having a smaller home custom built, since I cannot find one for sale that suits my needs, that isn't in a gated community...

As a single man with no children, smaller detached bungalows is what I want.  Unfortunately, smaller detached "freehold" bungalows are not built in any great numbers.

I have consulted with some builders, to get an average price per square foot build cost.

I am in no rush, since I am fine where I am right now...

This way, I have a new build, and can control everything from the floor plans, to the paint colour on the walls.

Put an advertisement in the paper and you'll find a cheap and worthy home to put on your proposed vacant block I'm sure. Many people seek to rebuild on land that they have recently purchased and merely scrap and demolish the existing house presently there. You'll be surprised what you may find.

Often they merely disconnect all the plumbing and services, cut the house in two, crane it on to a flatbed truck and trailer...and Bob's your uncle!

Good luck.  :thumbup:

smell the glove

Quote from: "RW"In which town?

Maybe Vernon, or close to it...

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

smell the glove

Quote from: "RW"Lots of drugs for you to get into.

I don't do drugs.  I don't even take Tylenol.

Booze is what I prefer, and I should cut down on that...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gallium"
Quote from: "smell the glove"At this point, since I don't need a mortgage anymore, I am thinking of purchasing a small piece of bare land, and having a smaller home custom built, since I cannot find one for sale that suits my needs, that isn't in a gated community...

As a single man with no children, smaller detached bungalows is what I want.  Unfortunately, smaller detached "freehold" bungalows are not built in any great numbers.

I have consulted with some builders, to get an average price per square foot build cost.

This way, I have a new build, and can control everything from the floor plans, to the paint colour on the walls.

Put an advertisement in the paper and you'll find a cheap and worthy home to put on your proposed vacant block I'm sure. Many people seek to rebuild on land that they have recently purchased and merely scrap and demolish the existing house presently there. You'll be surprised what you may find.

Often they merely disconnect all the plumbing and services, cut the house in two, crane it on to a flatbed truck and trailer...and Bob's your uncle!

There's a farm down the road that has a skid truck that they subcontract to home movers. Not all houses can be moved. It's frickin expensive too. I would never do it.

Gallium

Quote from: "Herman"

There's a farm down the road that has a skid truck that they subcontract to home movers. Not all houses can be moved. It's frickin expensive too. I would never do it.

Kit homes are also a great alternative. Modular panels that fit together into a structural sound home with a copper band that links in the electricity. My dad designs and manufactures a system of panels that were shipped off for all the homeless in the Philippines that lost homes due to Typhoon Haiyan that ripped through in 2013. He has since set up a factory in the Philippines and Vietnam to produce the modular panels providing homes and work for the locals.

The panels are packed tightly in 40 ft shipping containers and distributed logistically. Ironically old shipping containers are another system of building modular homes yet again. It's all elementary really.

:120p6wp_th:

Gallium

Quote from: "smell the glove"
Quote from: "RW"Lots of drugs for you to get into.

I don't do drugs.  I don't even take Tylenol.

Booze is what I prefer, and I should cut down on that...

And therein lies your depression. Hey mate...if you need a hug...take off the glove! LULZA!

Anonymous

Kit homes are also a great alternative. Modular panels that fit together into a structural sound home with a copper band that links in the electricity. My dad designs and manufactures a system of panels that were shipped off for all the homeless in the Philippines that lost homes due to Typhoon Haiyan that ripped through in 2013. He has since set up a factory in the Philippines and Vietnam to produce the modular panels providing homes and work for the locals.

The panels are packed tightly in 40 ft shipping containers and distributed logistically. Ironically old shipping containers are another system of building modular homes yet again. It's all elementary really.

Anytime I have seen a home being moved in Southern rural Alberta, it is a modular home.

Gallium

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Anytime I have seen a home being moved in Southern rural Alberta, it is a modular home.

It's definitely a cost-effective way to go. Also in addition, once the modular home is assembled and in place, it's really easy to do house-hold extensions without the need for building/renovation permits and generally throwing away money. Council approval can also be avoided in certain instances.

:thumbup:

Anonymous

It's definitely a cost-effective way to go. Also in addition, once the modular home is assembled and in place, it's really easy to do house-hold extensions without the need for building/renovation permits and generally throwing away money. Council approval can also be avoided in certain instances.

Depending on where you live in Canada, a building permit is required for anything you do to your house.

Gallium

Depending on where you live in Canada, a building permit is required for anything you do to your house.

Yes Herman...I'm thinking more along the lines of not having to go via the normal channels since it's modular. Outside of all the red-tape as such.

I like you so far buddy...please try to think outside of the box. Thanks mate. Any business advice...I'm your man!  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Anonymous

QuoteYes Herman...I'm thinking more along the lines of not having to go via the normal channels since it's modular. Outside of all the red-tape as such.

I like you so far buddy...please try to think outside of the box. Thanks mate. Any business advice...I'm your man!

I have never seen anyone say that about Herman..

:laugh:

Don't assume Herman does not know the local regulations where he lives..

He owns a farm and is always working on something on his land, buildings or house..

I am sure he has had more interaction with his local rural district office than you have.

Anonymous

My brother owns a modular home. Once it sits on a foundation and connected to services, it's subject to the same building code rules as any other house.

smell the glove

Call them what you want, but a trailer home is still a trailer home.

Now, I have nothing against this type of housing, but I prefer to have a home that is built solidly into the ground, and isn't moved around via truck...

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"My brother owns a modular home. Once it sits on a foundation and connected to services, it's subject to the same building code rules as any other house.

Don't talk facts with Gallium. That's not thinking outside the box.