The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Hot dogs, bacon, processed meats linked to cancer

Started by Anonymous, October 26, 2015, 09:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/26/experts-processed-meats-can-cause-cancer/74615390/">http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /74615390/">http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/26/experts-processed-meats-can-cause-cancer/74615390/

Eating hot dogs, ham and other processed meat can cause colorectal cancer, and eating red meat "probably" can cause cancer, the World Health Organization's cancer agency reported Monday.

Kurt Straif of the International Agency for Cancer Research said the risk of developing colorectal cancer from eating processed meat remains small but rises with the amount consumed. Consuming red meat was linked to colorectal, pancreatic and prostate cancer, but the link was not as strong, the IARC report said.

"In view of the large number of people who consume processed meat, the global impact on cancer incidence is of public health importance," Straif said.

The IARC report labeled processed meat a carcinogen — cigarettes are similarly labeled — and said red meat is "probably carcinogenic to humans."

The North American Meat Institute scoffed at the report, saying it ignored "numerous" studies showing no link between meat and cancer.

"Red and processed meat are among 940 agents reviewed by IARC and found to pose some level of theoretical 'hazard,"  institute spokeswoman Betsy Booren said. "Only one substance, a chemical in yoga pants, has been declared by IARC not to cause cancer."

the shark hunter

... man, the news media just never lets up its attacks on private business do they?
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/26/experts-processed-meats-can-cause-cancer/74615390/">http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /74615390/">http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/26/experts-processed-meats-can-cause-cancer/74615390/

Eating hot dogs, ham and other processed meat can cause colorectal cancer, and eating red meat "probably" can cause cancer, the World Health Organization's cancer agency reported Monday.

Kurt Straif of the International Agency for Cancer Research said the risk of developing colorectal cancer from eating processed meat remains small but rises with the amount consumed. Consuming red meat was linked to colorectal, pancreatic and prostate cancer, but the link was not as strong, the IARC report said.

"In view of the large number of people who consume processed meat, the global impact on cancer incidence is of public health importance," Straif said.

The IARC report labeled processed meat a carcinogen — cigarettes are similarly labeled — and said red meat is "probably carcinogenic to humans."

The North American Meat Institute scoffed at the report, saying it ignored "numerous" studies showing no link between meat and cancer.

"Red and processed meat are among 940 agents reviewed by IARC and found to pose some level of theoretical 'hazard,"  institute spokeswoman Betsy Booren said. "Only one substance, a chemical in yoga pants, has been declared by IARC not to cause cancer."

No offense Fash, but I do not think this is news to many people.

RW

I have heard directly from a cancer researcher friend of mine said that it's established that burned/blackened red meat is carcinogenic.  I have yet to hear there is an established correlation between red meat and cancer.  Reporting a probability is bad reporting IMHO.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I have heard directly from a cancer researcher friend of mine said that it's established that burned/blackened red meat is carcinogenic.  I have yet to hear there is an established correlation between red meat and cancer.  Reporting a probability is bad reporting IMHO.

But bacon and hot dogs? If the link between them and cancer was as clear as cigarette smoking would anyone fall off their chair in shock?

RW

No but report shit that's true rather than what might be.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"No but report shit that's true rather than what might be.

Ah well, then the IPCC would not be able to release their doom and gloom predictions. :laugh:

You said that it's established that burned/blackened red meat is carcinogenic. Koreans have been saying for a long time. We would throw out galbi if it burned.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I have heard directly from a cancer researcher friend of mine said that it's established that burned/blackened red meat is carcinogenic.  I have yet to hear there is an established correlation between red meat and cancer.  Reporting a probability is bad reporting IMHO.

I went by the IARC report labeled processed meat a carcinogen — cigarettes are similarly labeled.  

the shark hunter

... meat does not cause cancer.  this study is just bogus anti-business propaganda from the french government ...

... today on his radio program rush limbaugh said that the IARC should be sued for distributing this damaging and false information.  i very much agree ...

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... meat does not cause cancer.  this study is just bogus anti-business propaganda from the french government ...

... today on his radio program rush limbaugh said that the IARC should be sued for distributing this damaging and false information.  i very much agree ...

Do you believe that about processed meat too the shark hunter?

Anonymous

What I do know is KFC is health food. Fuck, it's practically medicine. :001_tongue:

the shark hunter

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"... meat does not cause cancer.  this study is just bogus anti-business propaganda from the french government ...

... Fashionista, people are consuming meat of all kinds on a mass scale and they're not getting sick.  the story is false ...

... and as a christian, shouldn't you be giving THANKS to those who provide sustenance for us in the form of food, rather than demonizing them?  how many people has the food industry shot in the name of the law for no reason?  how many people have they falsely imprisoned?  how many people have they taxed into bankruptcy?  how many have they executed in their hospitals?  the food industry isn't our enemy, it's our friend ...

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"

... Fashionista, people are consuming meat of all kinds on a mass scale and they're not getting sick.  the story is false ...

... and as a christian, shouldn't you be giving THANKS to those who provide sustenance for us in the form of food, rather than demonizing them?  how many people has the food industry shot in the name of the law for no reason?  how many people have they falsely imprisoned?  how many people have they taxed into bankruptcy?  how many have they executed in their hospitals?  the food industry isn't our enemy, it's our friend ...

Sharkie,

I don't think Fash is doing anything other than posting an article. We are both East Asian, so we don't usually go to extremes like Westerners do about shit like this. If you look at her Asian recipe thread, you'll see she is not some mad vegan. I realize you are going off on a rant that has fuck all really to do with Fash or meat, but she is not the enemy of the big packing houses.

the shark hunter

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"

Sharkie,

I don't think Fash is doing anything other than posting an article. We are both East Asian, so we don't usually go to extremes like Westerners do about shit like this. If you look at her Asian recipe thread, you'll see she is not some mad vegan. I realize you are going off on a rant that has fuck all really to do with Fash or meat, but she is not the enemy of the big packing houses.

... uh, Shen, Fash asked me a very specific question for which i provided an answer.  i was just doing what she asked me to do ...  ac_smile

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... uh, Shen, Fash asked me a very specific question for which i provided an answer.  i was just doing what she asked me to do ...  ac_smile

I could be wrong here Sharkie, but I`m pretty fucking sure you gave an answer to a question she never asked. At least intentionally. No harm anyway dude.