Replies: 8490
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:14:13 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

WHO is backing off last week's bacon story

Started by Anonymous, November 04, 2015, 08:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/a39363/who-bacon-cause-cancer/">http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/ ... se-cancer/">http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/a39363/who-bacon-cause-cancer/

After receiving a flood of questions, comments, concerns, and queries, the World Health Organization (WHO) has slightly retracted the findings in the International Agency for Research on Cancer report that linked processed meats like bacon and colorectal cancer. In a statement on the organization's website, WHO states that the latest IARC review does not ask people to stop eating processed meats but instead "indicates that reducing consumption of these products can reduce the risk of colorectal cancer."

It also goes on to emphasize that during early 2016, the organization will be looking at the public health implications of this report as well as the place of processed meat and red meat within the context of an overall healthy diet. That last part is key here: an overall healthy diet, not one riddled with bacon every morning and burgers every night. We think the main takeaway here is moderation—both in your diet and news judgment. If you have more questions regarding this study, you can parse through the FAQ or email WHO spokesman ​Gregory Härtl​ at ​hartlg@who.int.

Moderation being the key here.

Romero

The original report was probably fine but the media always sensationalizes these things. One day wine or coffee will help you live to a ripe old age, the next day they'll send you to an early grave.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"The original report was probably fine but the media always sensationalizes these things. One day wine or coffee will help you live to a ripe old age, the next day they'll send you to an early grave.

I can give up bacon, but wine and coffee? Never ever.

kiebers

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Romero"The original report was probably fine but the media always sensationalizes these things. One day wine or coffee will help you live to a ripe old age, the next day they'll send you to an early grave.

I'm the opposite. I could give up wine and coffee but not bacon.  ac_biggrin
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Herman"

I'm the opposite. I could give up wine and coffee but not bacon.  ac_biggrin

I could give up any of them..

It's so nice to see you here kiebers.

ac_hithere