Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Singapore

Started by Gary Oak, December 19, 2012, 05:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Oak

">

Here is an old video and by the looks of the vehicles it is my guess just under 100 years old. I went to the Chinese temple and the hindu temple shown at just under 5:00

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Gary Oak"
">

Here is an old video and by the looks of the vehicles it is my guess just under 100 years old. I went to the Chinese temple and the hindu temple shown at just under 5:00
I didn't watch the vid, but Singapore is an excellent example for the West to emulate.
What specifically can the West learn from Singapore?

Zetsu

^^

I guess one of them would be education or financial management.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"^^

I guess one of them would be education or financial management.

Another good discusssion topic Zetsu..

Wish we could discuss it more right now, but it's off to work I go.

Anonymous

Singapore is a very modern and diverse country, but the constant humidity is too much for me..

Taiwan is humid too, but it gets a break in the winter.

Leopardsocks

The Chinese temple has been replaced by a 7 story version, complete with a floor made of gold.

Singapore is indeed a commercial and social marvel. It is also a dictatorship, where criticism of the Government is a crime, corporal punishment is still enacted, and political opposition is virtually eliminated.

Cultural harmony is enforced by law, after cultural violence in the 60's killed many in the streets.

It is cruelly expensive, although they pay little or no tax.

Social welfare is virtually unknown. Government spending is minimal.

On such a small scale, their system works. But transposed onto a larger society, its rules and principles break down...

Leopardsocks

Indeed. As long as you conform. Remember, this is the country that limited men's hair length.

Asians may be comfortable as organic robots, westerners demand greater say in their government. There are vices and virtues in both.

For example, don't grow old in Singapore without a family to look after you. Don't lose your job. Don't become chronically ill.

And dont talk about their government that way you talk about governments in this forum. You may find yourself justifying your dissent before a midnight court...or your business will suddenly lose custom...

There is another thing about dictatorships...history tells us that sooner or later, they all come crashing down...

Romero

Funny because Singapore has a Western government, laws and economy. Means nothing without freedom though.

Romero

Singapore is governed by a Westminster system parliament and the legal system is based on English common law. The economy is free market capitalist.

If it weren't for all the British influence, the city-state would be completely different today.

Romero

^Yikes. Britain has progressed from the 19th century. So should Singapore.

QuoteThe media are strongly controlled by the state, with few alternatives available to citizens for independent news. In 2006, the media watchdog group Reporters Without Borders ranked Singapore 146th in media freedom (out of 168 countries surveyed); Freedom House's Freedom of the Press 2007 survey considered Singapore "not free" in terms of media freedoms, ranking it 154th (out of 195 countries). Restrictions on the freedom of expression also extend to foreign media outlets, which are sometimes restricted from distributing materials containing negative stories about Singapore or its political leadership. Political party newspapers are basically banned through regular use of the slander laws. In the 2006 elections, the possibility for political speech and thus of effective political opposition was further restricted by new rules prohibiting political commentary through websites, blogs, and podcasts that might be considered biased toward a candidate or party, meaning an opposition candidate.

I can't imagine why you would want anything like this.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Romero"^Yikes. Britain has progressed from the 19th century. So should Singapore.

QuoteThe media are strongly controlled by the state, with few alternatives available to citizens for independent news. In 2006, the media watchdog group Reporters Without Borders ranked Singapore 146th in media freedom (out of 168 countries surveyed); Freedom House's Freedom of the Press 2007 survey considered Singapore "not free" in terms of media freedoms, ranking it 154th (out of 195 countries). Restrictions on the freedom of expression also extend to foreign media outlets, which are sometimes restricted from distributing materials containing negative stories about Singapore or its political leadership. Political party newspapers are basically banned through regular use of the slander laws. In the 2006 elections, the possibility for political speech and thus of effective political opposition was further restricted by new rules prohibiting political commentary through websites, blogs, and podcasts that might be considered biased toward a candidate or party, meaning an opposition candidate.

because for most people order is better than chaos.....normal people like the security and orderliness they feel in a benign dictatorship....truthfully it is the only form of government that will save the west.....the pendulum has swung too far over the abyss to recover on it's own accord....that is a fact jack

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Romero"^Yikes. Britain has progressed from the 19th century. So should Singapore.

because for most people order is better than chaos.....normal people like the security and orderliness they feel in a benign dictatorship....truthfully it is the only form of government that will save the west.....the pendulum has swung too far over the abyss to recover on it's own accord....that is a fact jack

You are my soulmate Obvious. :D  Everything you wrote is spot on.

i bow in homage.....buttercup.........[attachment=0]free-animal-smileys-458.gif[/attachment]

Obvious Li

You are my soulmate Obvious. :D  Everything you wrote is spot on.

i bow in homage.....buttercup.........[attachment=0]free-animal-smileys-458.gif[/attachment]

Have you been to Singapore Handsome? My Mommy's younger sister immigrated there and is now a Singaporean citizen. She absolutely loves the place. She's got a satisfying career, gets to keep more of her paycheque than Canadians do and doesn't have to worry about critical infrastructure being blocked like we do here. Their government actually has a set of balls.

yes i have, many times...sadly, however i was only at the airport where we transferred or lay over on our way to Australia...bounced around outside the airport for a smoke but that's it......always meant to check it out close up but never had the chance

by the way on your other post.....i nominate Obvious Li as benevolent dictator for Canada..it would be a blast to straighten the place out.....hahahahahaha

Anonymous

Have you been to Singapore Handsome? My Mommy's younger sister immigrated there and is now a Singaporean citizen. She absolutely loves the place. She's got a satisfying career, gets to keep more of her paycheque than Canadians do and doesn't have to worry about critical infrastructure being blocked like we do here. Their government actually has a set of balls.

yes i have, many times...sadly, however i was only at the airport where we transferred or lay over on our way to Australia...bounced around outside the airport for a smoke but that's it......always meant to check it out close up but never had the chance

by the way on your other post.....i nominate Obvious Li as benevolent dictator for Canada..it would be a blast to straighten the place out.....hahahahahaha

I rarely vote, but if I did you would have to bribe me with cuddling to get me to vote for you.

;)

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I rarely vote, but if I did you would have to bribe me with cuddling to get me to vote for you.

;)

oh believe it..i would have to set some time aside on the campagain trail for a lengthy stop in calgary.......