Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Why do you work?

Started by Anonymous, December 06, 2015, 05:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keeper

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"You do contract work?

I am a consultant. Some people call us the engineer, but I am no engineer. I am the company rep on the lease. I can do drilling and completions.

You do know what I mean?

keeper

I certainly do, Im used to dealing with you guys. I worked with all the big boys in Fort Mcmoney.  I was actually working with Tim Hortons trying to get a mobile trailer on Syncrudes site.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"I certainly do, Im used to dealing with you guys. I worked with all the big boys in Fort Mcmoney.  I was actually working with Tim Hortons trying to get a mobile trailer on Syncrudes site.

Fort McMurray is a lot different from a conventional rig though. I have drilled and completed heavy oil wells, but not oilsands.

reel

I like my work, but I'm pretty much on the retirement track now.  I think another 7 - 8 years and I'll be done.  I'll also be ready to be done.

After that, I'll do bits and pieces of work for fun.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I like my work, but I'm pretty much on the retirement track now.  I think another 7 - 8 years and I'll be done.  I'll also be ready to be done.

After that, I'll do bits and pieces of work for fun.

I'm winding it down too reel. I am working a lot less this year not by choice, but I am happy anyway. I feel for the younger ones that are not as established as I am.

RW

Retirement is hard gents.

Just warning you.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Retirement is hard gents.

Just warning you.

I will have my farm to look after and that will be enough I hope.

RW

What kind of farm?

Do you have any llamas?
Beware of Gaslighters!

reel

Llamas are evil!

I have a very large diversity of interests, so I've never really been one to find difficulty in keeping myself occupied.  

Plus I'll likely be sort of semi-retired rather than retired.  Work when I want to rather than as a necessity.

Of course this is all contingent on the next few years going according to plan, which is by no means guaranteed.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"What kind of farm?

Do you have any llamas?

I have a half quarter section. I have sunflower, canola, honeybees and a few Herefords for beef for ourselves and a few people who pay us to raise it for them. The old lady has laying hens. When I am finally done rigpigging, I want to buy some more land and build my sunflower crop.

reel

I really want to get bees, but don't really know much about the practical aspects.  That will be one of my first plans after I finish.  Are they hard to take care of?  What is the time commitment?

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I really want to get bees, but don't really know much about the practical aspects.  That will be one of my first plans after I finish.  Are they hard to take care of?  What is the time commitment?

We only have six hives so far, but it yields over 300 lbs of honey a year.  It's seasonal work which is perfect for me as my busy season is winter. Once you get going with your hives it's not much time at all. Once I'm fully retired I'm going to expand five to ten fold. The smell is great too.

RW

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMV9qYIXqM

Sorry better link
Beware of Gaslighters!

reel

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "reel"I really want to get bees, but don't really know much about the practical aspects.  That will be one of my first plans after I finish.  Are they hard to take care of?  What is the time commitment?

We only have six hives so far, but it yields over 300 lbs of honey a year.  It's seasonal work which is perfect for me as my busy season is winter. Once you get going with your hives it's not much time at all. Once I'm fully retired I'm going to expand five to ten fold. The smell is great too.

Nice.  300lbs?  That's incredible!  I had no idea they produced that much.  Do you have to move the hives in winter or can they stay outside?  I'm assuming it's colder wherever you are than it is in Vancouver.