News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Teaching Creationism in public schools...

Started by J0E, January 04, 2016, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Creationist believe that the dinosaurs were on the ark with all the animals and Noah and his family.

I know this to be patently false because Noah didn't like dinosaurs. He purposely made the door to get into the ark too small for the dinosaurs to get in and they drowned. ac_biggrin Noah, was a real joker.  :laugh:

Seriously though, the whole idea of dinosaurs and man coexisting is ludicrous. The two separate species live and lived MILLIONS of years apart from each other. The geological timeline of where dinosaur fossils have been discovered and the first evidence of man's existence aren't even remotely close.

And don't give me this creationist crap about carbon 14 dating being useless for dating dinosaur bones. Carbon 14 dating ISN'T even used to date specimens like dinosaur bones. Dinosaur bones are dated by looking at the isotope half-life of the surrounding and neighboring igneous rock which takes into account the half-life of elements like uranium 238 or 235 or potassium 40 which have half-lives of millions of years.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Christians see the existence of dinosaurs as no barrier to their trust in the Bible...science and the Bible are not in conflict..

Dinosaurs were created too.

J0E

I have no trouble with Creationism being taught in schools.

However, the Powers That Be, simply won't let that be.

They don't want a competing mindset offering an alternative POV which could disrupt their 'forced unity'

We're as brainwashed to swallow their docrtine as the populus was to accept the docrtines of Christianity 200 years ago.

We need a balance, so teach both.

The main problem I have with the so-called scientific theory of evolution, is that it isn't terribly scientific.

They haven't proved with 100% accuracy that their POV is perfect or that it's even true.

Even if it's 80%, that's still not good enough.

To be credibly 'scientific' it has be true 100%.

It's proponents are nowhere close to that.

So what we've been forced to learn may not be true, or can change in an instant with some other new discovery.

We've been brainwashed to believe that we must accept these 'scientific theories'

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"Christians see the existence of dinosaurs as no barrier to their trust in the Bible...science and the Bible are not in conflict..

The dino debate isn't one that debunks God for me.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "J0E"I have no trouble with Creationism being taught in schools.

They don't want a competing mindset offering an alternative POV which could disrupt their 'forced unity'

We're as brainwashed to swallow their docrtine as the populus was to accept the docrtines of Christianity 200 years ago.

The main problem I have with the so-called scientific theory of evolution, is that it isn't terribly scientific.

They haven't proved with 100% accuracy that their POV is perfect or that it's even true.

So what we've been forced to learn may not be true, or can change in an instant with some other new discovery.

We've been brainwashed to believe that we must accept these 'scientific theories'

Actually Joe, to be credibly "scientific", things do NOT have to be 100% true.  

The thing with science is that it's job is to prove itself wrong, which it is constantly doing.  A theory is something that is accepted until it can be proven otherwise.  That is not to say a theory isn't wildly tested because they are.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Arguing with fundamentalists about abortion or dinosaur origins is a waste of time. They are not going to change and I am not either. Having said that, I don't care. Dove and Fash are not in favor of killing women for being raped.

Bricktop

Quote from: "J0E"

...I support teaching creationism and evolution on an equal plane. That in my mind, is true democracy.

It, like religion, has nothing to do with democracy. It is proselytising, and nothing less. Thus it should not be taught.

However, should anyone provide ONE clear, verifiable and creditable shred of evidence that supports creationism, I'd be happy to revise my view.

But that would mean they would have to provide evidence of the existence of some higher being, or god. That will never happen.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Christians see the existence of dinosaurs as no barrier to their trust in the Bible...science and the Bible are not in conflict..

The dino debate isn't one that debunks God for me.

That's fine, Christians don't expect secular people to have scripture speak to their hearts.

RW

Some scripture has spoken to my heart.  Some hasn't.
Beware of Gaslighters!

J0E

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "J0E"I have no trouble with Creationism being taught in schools.

Actually Joe, to be credibly "scientific", things do NOT have to be 100% true.  

The thing with science is that it's job is to prove itself wrong, which it is constantly doing.  A theory is something that is accepted until it can be proven otherwise.  That is not to say a theory isn't wildly tested because they are.

I think what you're referring to 'Real, is the Scientific Method. But the official theories such as the 'Big Bang' haven't been proven to be scientifically accurate. They don't even conform to the Scientific Method. They're just guesswork. Like religious clerics who ask us to believe in creationism, scientists ask us to accept their account. "Trust us. Believe in us. It's true!" I don't see how these two groups are any different. Neither has presented any hard, irrefutable evidence to support their claims. They're both based on faith. So the fact is, neither can claim to be more right than the other since there were no eyewitness accounts or recorded evidence to verify them. Therefore, we should accept that both can be taught alongside one another in schools, without suppressing nor muzzling the other. Now that would be a truly democratic solution.

RW

I won't argue that Joe as I have said similar things in the past.  I can't think of the counter points off the top of my head as to why people don't believe we put faith in science as well.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

What Joe is failing to admit to is that although scientific theory like the "Big Bang" is not yet entirely proven, the supporting theories and analysis are indeed provable. Scientific phenomenon such as the known galaxies moving away from each other can be observed and measured. Cosmic background radiation resulting from a rapid expansion can be observed and measured. Quasar drop-off during large red shifts can be measured and proven. The number of active quasar and galaxies collisions over time can be measured and accounted for. Spectra analysis of older stars can measure the abundance of primordial gas and elements in their composition.  All these naturally occurring phenomena point to the concept of a hot universe and a sudden rapid expansion (Big Bang). In fact some of the phenomenon we have observed can ONLY be explain by a sudden and rapid expansion of cosmic material.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm

">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/ ... rseWeb.pdf">

Now compare that to the creationist theory of evolution (Flintstones Theory).....Show me one credible shred of provable evidence that man coexisted with dinosaurs or that dinosaurs were loaded onto the ark OR provable conclusive evidence of the freaking ark for that matter. Then and only then can you start teaching creationist theories in public schools with my blessing.

Under no circumstance will I agree with using tax dollars to teach children fairy-tales passed off as science. What is this, the fucking dark ages? Creationist theory belongs with other wonky subjects like crypto-zoology, the possibility of ancient astronauts, the "Theory of Atlantis" and other oddball, fringe element, subjects.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

There are people with scientific backgrounds that believe in intelligent design..

I can't explain it of course and I don't have any interest in it either..

I am ok with public schools teaching anything about anything because we would never take our children out of their school and put them in public schools where students perform poorly compared to where they are now..

Oh and the big bang theory is taught alongside intelligent design in my children's schools.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"What Joe is failing to admit to is that although scientific theory like the "Big Bang" is not yet entirely proven, the supporting theories and analysis are indeed provable. Scientific phenomenon such as the known galaxies moving away from each other can be observed and measured. Cosmic background radiation resulting from a rapid expansion can be observed and measured. Quasar drop-off during large red shifts can be measured and proven. The number of active quasar and galaxies collisions over time can be measured and accounted for. Spectra analysis of older stars can measure the abundance of primordial gas and elements in their composition.  All these naturally occurring phenomena point to the concept of a hot universe and a sudden rapid expansion (Big Bang). In fact some of the phenomenon we have observed can ONLY be explain by a sudden and rapid expansion of cosmic material.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm

">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/ ... rseWeb.pdf">

Now compare that to the creationist theory of evolution (Flintstones Theory).....Show me one credible shred of provable evidence that man coexisted with dinosaurs or that dinosaurs were loaded onto the ark OR provable conclusive evidence of the freaking ark for that matter. Then and only then can you start teaching creationist theories in public schools with my blessing.

Under no circumstance will I agree with using tax dollars to teach children fairy-tales passed off as science. What is this, the fucking dark ages? Creationist theory belongs with other wonky subjects like crypto-zoology, the possibility of ancient astronauts, the "Theory of Atlantis" and other oddball, fringe element, subjects.
Like I said, teach it as fiction.

I don't believe in ignoring what such a large portion of the population believes in.  I'm okay with saying, "this is what science believes but there's this large group over here that believes this is how it happened."
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"There are people with scientific backgrounds that believe in intelligent design..

I can't explain it of course and I don't have any interest in it either..

I am ok with public schools teaching anything about anything because we would never take our children out of their school and put them in public schools where students perform poorly compared to where they are now..

Oh and the big bang theory is taught alongside intelligent design in my children's schools.

How do you know students perform poorly compared to where they are?
Beware of Gaslighters!