News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Teaching Creationism in public schools...

Started by J0E, January 04, 2016, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Renee"What Joe is failing to admit to is that although scientific theory like the "Big Bang" is not yet entirely proven, the supporting theories and analysis are indeed provable. Scientific phenomenon such as the known galaxies moving away from each other can be observed and measured. Cosmic background radiation resulting from a rapid expansion can be observed and measured. Quasar drop-off during large red shifts can be measured and proven. The number of active quasar and galaxies collisions over time can be measured and accounted for. Spectra analysis of older stars can measure the abundance of primordial gas and elements in their composition.  All these naturally occurring phenomena point to the concept of a hot universe and a sudden rapid expansion (Big Bang). In fact some of the phenomenon we have observed can ONLY be explain by a sudden and rapid expansion of cosmic material.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm

">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/ ... rseWeb.pdf">

Now compare that to the creationist theory of evolution (Flintstones Theory).....Show me one credible shred of provable evidence that man coexisted with dinosaurs or that dinosaurs were loaded onto the ark OR provable conclusive evidence of the freaking ark for that matter. Then and only then can you start teaching creationist theories in public schools with my blessing.

Under no circumstance will I agree with using tax dollars to teach children fairy-tales passed off as science. What is this, the fucking dark ages? Creationist theory belongs with other wonky subjects like crypto-zoology, the possibility of ancient astronauts, the "Theory of Atlantis" and other oddball, fringe element, subjects.
Like I said, teach it as fiction.

I don't believe in ignoring what such a large portion of the population believes in.  I'm okay with saying, "this is what science believes but there's this large group over here that believes this is how it happened."

That's fine, I guess. Maybe set it up as an elective course along with field trips to go search for Bigfoot.  :001_rolleyes:

But it shouldn't be taught as a science especially on the taxpayers dime.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Renee"What Joe is failing to admit to is that although scientific theory like the "Big Bang" is not yet entirely proven, the supporting theories and analysis are indeed provable. Scientific phenomenon such as the known galaxies moving away from each other can be observed and measured. Cosmic background radiation resulting from a rapid expansion can be observed and measured. Quasar drop-off during large red shifts can be measured and proven. The number of active quasar and galaxies collisions over time can be measured and accounted for. Spectra analysis of older stars can measure the abundance of primordial gas and elements in their composition.  All these naturally occurring phenomena point to the concept of a hot universe and a sudden rapid expansion (Big Bang). In fact some of the phenomenon we have observed can ONLY be explain by a sudden and rapid expansion of cosmic material.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm

">http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/ ... rseWeb.pdf">

Now compare that to the creationist theory of evolution (Flintstones Theory).....Show me one credible shred of provable evidence that man coexisted with dinosaurs or that dinosaurs were loaded onto the ark OR provable conclusive evidence of the freaking ark for that matter. Then and only then can you start teaching creationist theories in public schools with my blessing.

Under no circumstance will I agree with using tax dollars to teach children fairy-tales passed off as science. What is this, the fucking dark ages? Creationist theory belongs with other wonky subjects like crypto-zoology, the possibility of ancient astronauts, the "Theory of Atlantis" and other oddball, fringe element, subjects.
Like I said, teach it as fiction.

I don't believe in ignoring what such a large portion of the population believes in.  I'm okay with saying, "this is what science believes but there's this large group over here that believes this is how it happened."

That's fine, I guess. Maybe set it up as an elective course along with field trips to go search for Bigfoot.  :001_rolleyes:

But it shouldn't be taught as a science especially on the taxpayers dime.
We talked to our kids about creationism as something a whole whack of people in the world believe as another option.  No harm, no foul.  I don't want them to be ignorant of things that do exist even if only in the minds of millions and millions of people.

Same as big foot.  It's a thing if only in imaginations.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"There are people with scientific backgrounds that believe in intelligent design..

I can't explain it of course and I don't have any interest in it either..

I am ok with public schools teaching anything about anything because we would never take our children out of their school and put them in public schools where students perform poorly compared to where they are now..

Oh and the big bang theory is taught alongside intelligent design in my children's schools.

How do you know students perform poorly compared to where they are?

Parents are given reports on how school our schools which is comprised of a primary, junior and senior high compares academically, athletically and social problems like drop outs to the city and the province..

We're proud of the results, but the staff still strives to do even better.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Fashionista"There are people with scientific backgrounds that believe in intelligent design..

I am ok with public schools teaching anything about anything because we would never take our children out of their school and put them in public schools where students perform poorly compared to where they are now..

Oh and the big bang theory is taught alongside intelligent design in my children's schools.

Parents are given reports on how school our schools which is comprised of a primary, junior and senior high compares academically, athletically and social problems like drop outs to the city and the province..

You put kids in small class sizes with affluent parents and they are bound to do better than kids with a range of social/economic backgrounds.  Schools like yours also typically do not have many kids with severe learning disabilities because public schools are better equipped and funded to do so.

You're really comparing an apple to an orange.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

If the God Squad want creationism taught in schools, then its only fair for them to allow atheists to speak in churches.

RW

Why would anyone want to listen to an atheist talk?

ICK!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I don't doubt for one fucking second grades are much better at your kids' school than any inner-city public school. However, as fine as you think xtian education is, it has as much to do with the kids themselves as it does with curriculum. How many students at your kids' school come from single parent families? How many have substance abuse issues at home? How many students are from unemployed/uneducated/poor families? Not many I would think if they can afford the tuition fees.

I'm a supporter of private schooling, but let's not kid ourselves here. The success of private schooling has as much to do with the family backgrounds of students as it does with the quality of education. I know, I attended a poverty-stricken, inner city public school when we first came to Canada.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Shen Li"I know, I attended a poverty-stricken, inner city public school when we first came to Canada.

And it shows.

:yahoo:

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"Why would anyone want to listen to an atheist talk?

ICK!

Why would anyone want to listen to a Xtian?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I know, I attended a poverty-stricken, inner city public school when we first came to Canada.

And it shows.

:yahoo:

An shut up you.

Anyway, I really couldn't be bothered wasting my breath talking about religion with a devout believer. They are not going to change and neither am I. As long as they don't impose their religion on me as Islam does than they can believe in thousands of people swallowed by whales for all I care.

Anonymous

You put kids in small class sizes with affluent parents and they are bound to do better than kids with a range of social/economic backgrounds.  Schools like yours also typically do not have many kids with severe learning disabilities because public schools are better equipped and funded to do so.

Your assumption would be wrong RW..

My children's sister school has an excellent program for children with learning disabilities.

ac_smile

Anonymous

My children's sister school has an excellent program for children with learning disabilities.

ac_smile

I'm glad to see they care as much about the souls of the developmentally challenged as they do about wealthy athletes. :icon_wink:

RW

ac_smile

Interesting.  I thought it was cost prohibitive.  Well it is here but I don't think we get the same tax dollar allocations as you do in AB for Catholic schools.

Thanks for the correction :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

ac_smile

Interesting.  I thought it was cost prohibitive.  Well it is here but I don't think we get the same tax dollar allocations as you do in AB for Catholic schools.

Christian education has evolved and grown..

We can match just about any program offered by the public system when the demand is high enough.

RW

ac_smile

Christian education has evolved and grown..

We can match just about any program offered by the public system when the demand is high enough.

I live in...well you know where I live.  It's too small to offer much of anything.  We're lucky to have a Catholic school nevermind anything else.
Beware of Gaslighters!