News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Should Republican Candidate Ted Cruz be allowed to run for President of the USA?

Started by J0E, January 02, 2016, 01:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Now I think on it, my daughter had Canadian (dual) citizenship even though born in US to a US father and Canadian mother

She had to decide at a certain age which one to keep

Anyhow Joey. The US will sort this all out

... oh well
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "cc la femme"Now I think on it, my daughter had Canadian (dual) citizenship even though born in US to a US father and Canadian mother

She had to decide at a certain age which one to keep

Anyhow Joey. The US will sort this all out

... oh well

She didn't get to keep both? Residency and citizenship laws are different in different countries.

cc

One of the 2 countries set an age limit. It may have been Canada as she lived in Canada as an adult a while, them moved back to the US . I forget but I'll ask her which it was and what circumstances were at the time that triggered it

Now I think more about it, as many living in Canada found out tax-wise, the US considers a US citizen to be just that no matter how long they have lived abroad and must report their income annually forever  ... except only when one has gone through a formal and difficult process to formally rescind  US citizenship

So based on that, it must have been Canada that made her choose one or the other - As I recall it may have been the trigger for her decision to move back to the US and give up Canadian citizenship. I recall her being strong that she would never give up US citizenship even though most of her life was spent in Canada

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"One of the 2 countries set an age limit. It may have been Canada as she lived in Canada as an adult a while, them moved back to the US . I forget but I'll ask her which it was and what circumstances were at the time that triggered it

Now I think more about it, as many living in Canada found out tax-wise, the US considers a US citizen to be just that no matter how long they have lived abroad and must report their income annually forever  ... except only when one has gone through a formal and difficult process to formally rescind  US citizenship

So based on that, it must have been Canada that made her choose one or the other - As I recall it may have been the trigger for her decision to move back to the US and give up Canadian citizenship. I recall her being strong that she would never give up US citizenship even though most of her life was spent in Canada

Yeah, I heard it's not advantageous to maintain US citizenship if you don't intend to live there.

J0E

Here's an essay which states the law with regards to eligibility of presidential candidates:

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/articles/2/essays/82/presidential-eligibility">http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#! ... ligibility">http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/articles/2/essays/82/presidential-eligibility

QuoteNo Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Article II, Section 1, Clause 5

The Constitution imposes three eligibility requirements on the Presidency—based on the officeholder's age, residency, and citizenship—that must be satisfied at the time of taking office. By virtue of the Twelfth Amendment, the qualifications for Vice President are the same. The Framers established these qualifications in order to increase the chances of electing a person of patriotism, judgment, and civic virtue.

The third qualification to be President is that one must be a "natural born Citizen" (or a citizen at the time of the adoption of the Constitution). Although any citizen may become a Member of Congress so long as he has held citizenship for the requisite time period, to be President, one must be "a natural born Citizen." Undivided loyalty to the United States was a prime concern. During the Constitutional Convention, John Jay wrote to George Washington, urging "a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expressly that the Commander in Chief of the American army shall not be given to nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen." Justice Story later noted that the natural-born–citizenship requirement "cuts off all chances for ambitious foreigners, who might otherwise be intriguing for the office."

Under the longstanding English common-law principle of jus soli, persons born within the territory of the sovereign (other than children of enemy aliens or foreign diplomats) are citizens from birth. Thus, those persons born within the United States are "natural born citizens" and eligible to be President. Much less certain, however, is whether children born abroad of United States citizens are "natural born citizens" eligible to serve as President. As early as 1350, the British Parliament approved statutes recognizing the rule of jus sanguinis, under which citizens may pass their citizenship by descent to their children at birth, regardless of place. Similarly, in its first naturalization statute, Congress declared that "the children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens." 1 Stat. 104 (1790). The "natural born" terminology was dropped shortly thereafter. See, e.g., 8 U.S.C. § 1401(c). But the question remains whether the term "natural born Citizen" used in Article II includes the parliamentary rule of jus sanguinis in addition to the common law principle of jus soli. In United States v. Wong Kim Ark (1898), the Supreme Court relied on English common law regarding jus soli to inform the meaning of "citizen" in the Fourteenth Amendment as well as the natural-born–citizenship requirement of Article II, and noted that any right to citizenship though jus sanguinis was available only by statute, and not through the Constitution. Notwithstanding the Supreme Court's discussion in Wong Kim Ark, a majority of commentators today argue that the Presidential Eligibility Clause incorporates both the common-law and English statutory principles, and that therefore, Michigan Governor George Romney, who was born to American parents outside of the United States, was eligible to seek the Presidency in 1968.

cc

Some might write opinions, but Short story = a no-brainer -  of course any person born a US citizen "natural born Citizen" ..  birthplace not at all in the definition,  is eligible

Trust me Joe. They will work it out on their own, thus your worries are in vain

Yeah Shen. Many US citizens  living here had GREAT tax problem if they did not report every year - it was VERY serious to many and many were screwed royally

J0E

There's already someone who's stepping up to the plate to challenge Ted Cruz's claims to legitimacy:

http://mobile.wnd.com/2015/11/alan-grayson-dem-pitbull-ill-sue-ted-cruz/">http://mobile.wnd.com/2015/11/alan-gray ... -ted-cruz/">http://mobile.wnd.com/2015/11/alan-grayson-dem-pitbull-ill-sue-ted-cruz/

http://mobile.wnd.com/files/2015/06/ted_cruz_flag.jpg">

Ted Cruz

QuoteAlan Grayson, a Florida lawmaker who's seeking to move into Marco Rubio's U.S. senate seat – and who's earned a reputation as one of the Democratic Party's loudest pitbulls against Republicans – said he'll challenge Sen. Ted Cruz's citizenship via a formal lawsuit if the Texan wins the GOP nomination for the White House.

Grayson, who rose to media fame in 2009 by proclaiming from the House floor that Republicans' health-care plan amounted to "don't get sick" and "if you do get sick, die quickly," made the vow while speaking to Alan Colmes on Fox News Radio.

Colmes first asked what Grayson's priority list of attack was for Republicans.

"Honestly, it's the appalling choices that they have among their so–called presidential candidates," Grayson said, Breitbart reported.

http://mobile.wnd.com/files/2015/11/Grayson.png">

Alan Grayson

cc

Was waiting for you to sucker for the idiot Grayson, your fellow attention whore kinda guy who counts on people like you to keep him alive and whoring

Like I said, it's a long settled issue that went nowhere with Romney, an identical situation.

next issue?

cc

Now, here's a worthwhile subject. A "real" person doing the right thing.

There is still some decency and compassion out there.

http://www.ijreview.com/2016/01/505243-what-a-pilot-sees-a-young-man-doing-through-the-window-has-him-immediately-turning-the-plane-around/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=morning-newsletter">Delta Pilot Seeing A Distraught Young Man Through The Window Taxis Plane Back To The Gate...

If you've never heard of a pilot turning around to pick up the passengers who were late catching their flight, that's because it rarely ever happens.

However, the stars were aligned for the Short family, who just so happened to be getting on a plane that was being flown by a pilot with the biggest heart.

According to Fox 10, the family was trying to make it home to Tennessee to attend their father's funeral.

Once they got to the terminal in Minneapolis, the family watched as their plane slowly made its way towards the runway. The airline worker told them there was nothing they could do

A family member standing in the window, caught the pilot's attention — he was screaming, crying and waving his hands. But the pilot tells Fox 10 that he didn't need an explanation, "he saw the tears, the sadness, the desperation on their faces."

Long story short, the pilot returned to pick them up

My sincere apologies for diverting your thread to something meaningful   :001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Some Democrats and supporters of other presidential candidates are playing Nickelback at placed Ted Cruz speaks. :laugh3:

cc

QuoteShould attention whore Joe  who jumps like a robot when trump speaks be allowed to post dumb threads
is a better question

J0E

Quote from: "cc la femme"
QuoteShould attention whore Joe  who jumps like a robot when trump speaks be allowed to post dumb threads
is a better question

Well, there's one problem. The same party and its candidates who excoriated Barrack Obama for his alleged illegitimacy because they believed he wasn't born in the USA, now turn around and give the likes of Ted Cruz a pass, even though he was DEFINITELY NOT born in the United States. I mean, wtf? How come Obama was under fire, and then had to produce a birth certificate in front of a live audience, and then the GOP turns a blind eye to Cruz's lack of 'birthing credentials'.

People have to be consistent. They're either for one thing, or they are against it. But they can't have it both ways. Actually, I think the rule, literally applied is a fair one. No one born outside of the United States or its territories should be able to run for President of the United States.

Anyways, this is not a trite issue, as it came up over a century ago with one of America's presidents, Chester Arthur. Arthur claimed to have been born in the United States, buy many doubters suggested that he was actually born in Nova Scotia. I think back then, it was a British colony. Whatever the legitimacy of his claim, it's an issue which hounded Arthur throughout his presidency & still doubts linger about whether he was truly 'American'. He's still thought of as a bit of black sheep, an imposter, because many feel that he did not conform to the requirements of the US constitution.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-original-birther-controversy/">http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-origina ... ntroversy/">http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-original-birther-controversy/