Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Do you Ever Feel Dissastified with what you Have Accomplished In Your Life

Started by Anonymous, January 15, 2016, 12:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I think I have had an exciting life so far considering what I had to work with. I have nothing past high school, but I have worked on every continent except Antarctica. I have made excellent money. I owned shares in an oilfield service company that I sold. I am married to a woman who is the love of my life. I own a farm that fills my days off with things I enjoy doing. My son, oh well, that is another story.

The point I am making is that I should be satisfied and usually I am. But, a few times I have read about someone I knew when I was young who has done better than me and it is a downer. A guy who used to work on my crew as our stud hand when I was his driller more than twenty five years name came up recently when his mother died. I was reading it in the Swift Current obituaries. The guy is an advisor to our provincial government. My ex wife's aunt died a little while ago and I read her obituary. Her son is a national coordinator for an international union. The guy was a f*ck up when he was young. So was the roughneck.

Do you ever feel like you have not accomplished as much as you would like? Do people you knew from your youth who had similar circumstances, but have had greater success make you a little envious?

RW

The nice thing about accomplishment is that you can always add to it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"The nice thing about accomplishment is that you can always add to it.

I forgot to mention another guy I grew up with is a morning drive man at a big city radio station in the states.

I have no intention of starting a new career at my age. I will either entirely or semi retire in the next two to four years and then farm full time. It's just that sometimes I wish I had made more of an attempt to say old Herman was here instead of spending so much time sitting on a barstool. ac_unsure

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"I think I have had an exciting life so far considering what I had to work with. I have nothing past high school, but I have worked on every continent except Antarctica. I have made excellent money. I owned shares in an oilfield service company that I sold. I am married to a woman who is the love of my life. I own a farm that fills my days off with things I enjoy doing. My son, oh well, that is another story.

The point I am making is that I should be satisfied and usually I am. But, a few times I have read about someone I knew when I was young who has done better than me and it is a downer. A guy who used to work on my crew as our stud hand when I was his driller more than twenty five years name came up recently when his mother died. I was reading it in the Swift Current obituaries. The guy is an advisor to our provincial government. My ex wife's aunt died a little while ago and I read her obituary. Her son is a national coordinator for an international union. The guy was a f*ck up when he was young. So was the stud hand.

Do you ever feel like you have not accomplished as much as you would like? Do people you knew from your youth who had similar circumstances, but have had greater success make you a little envious?

Occasional feelings of jealousy are perfectly normal. It seems you were surprised how 1 or 2 people turned out.They managed to turn their lives around and do something with their lives when you thought they had no hope. You would be equally surprised if someone with all the advantages in life wound up a junkie on the streets. Meeting people from one's childhood is often uncomfortable. You only had to read about it, so consider urself lucky.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"No. Never.

I shouldn't either. I think I have done better than average considering where I started from. But I sometimes wonder how a few people have done what they have done.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"I think I have had an exciting life so far considering what I had to work with. I have nothing past high school, but I have worked on every continent except Antarctica. I have made excellent money. I owned shares in an oilfield service company that I sold. I am married to a woman who is the love of my life. I own a farm that fills my days off with things I enjoy doing. My son, oh well, that is another story.

The point I am making is that I should be satisfied and usually I am. But, a few times I have read about someone I knew when I was young who has done better than me and it is a downer. A guy who used to work on my crew as our stud hand when I was his driller more than twenty five years name came up recently when his mother died. I was reading it in the Swift Current obituaries. The guy is an advisor to our provincial government. My ex wife's aunt died a little while ago and I read her obituary. Her son is a national coordinator for an international union. The guy was a f*ck up when he was young. So was the stud hand.

You're healthy, you're employed and you are loved..

You are blessed Herman.

ac_smile

J0E

...seems you did as well as you could have with what you had Herman.

So why be envious of those people?

They're of no consequence to any of us.

They seem like Big Fish in a small pond where you are, but if they went into another pond somewhere else, they'd be small fish. Actually, nobodies. Saskatchewan may be a big place where you live, but much of the world doesn't know about nor has heard about it.

I met a guy who was or is now an advisor in Christy Clark's government In British Columbia. He seems like such a flake.

But he got where he is through connections, not because he was especially talented, qualified or brilliant. It was who he knew, not what he knew.

I wouldn't worry about your imagined rivals. They're nothing.

The point I am making is that I should be satisfied and usually I am. But, a few times I have read about someone I knew when I was young who has done better than me and it is a downer. A guy who used to work on my crew as our stud hand when I was his driller more than twenty five years name came up recently when his mother died. I was reading it in the Swift Current obituaries. The guy is an advisor to our provincial government. My ex wife's aunt died a little while ago and I read her obituary. Her son is a national coordinator for an international union. The guy was a f*ck up when he was young. So was the roughneck.

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"...seems you did as well as you could have with what you had Herman.

So why be envious of those people?

They're of no consequence to any of us.

They seem like Big Fish in a small pond where you are, but if they went into another pond somewhere else, they'd be small fish. Actually, nobodies. Saskatchewan may be a big place where you live, but much of the world doesn't know about nor has heard about it.

I met a guy who was or is now an advisor in Christy Clark's government In British Columbia. He seems like such a flake.

But he got where he is through connections, not because he was especially talented, qualified or brilliant. It was who he knew, not what he knew.

I wouldn't worry about your imagined rivals. They're nothing.

Some careers are more about connections and it seems politics is one of them.

Renee

Everyone makes choices in life and sometimes those choices require compromise. You do the best you can with what you can and that's all anyone can ask. I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do or what I could have done or what I should have done but in the end it makes very little difference.

Now as to something off topic, so please forgive me.....Why the fuck does Joe post backwards? Why more often than not, are all his posts structured the opposite way from everyone else? Why are his posted responses listed before the quote he is responding to? It's totally counter-intuitive and quite frankly annoying. ac_umm

Maybe this is fodder for a separate thread......... ac_umm probably not. :nea:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Everyone makes choices in life and sometimes those choices require compromise. You do the best you can with what you can and that's all anyone can ask. I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do or what I could have done or what I should have done but in the end it makes very little difference.

Now as to something off topic, so please forgive me.....Why the fuck does Joe post backwards? Why are all his posts in response structured the opposite way from everyone else? Why are his posted responses listed before the quote he is responding to? It's totally counter-intuitive and quite frankly annoying. ac_umm

I agree with the first paragraph Renee..

Only JOE can answer your questions.

ac_dunno

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"Everyone makes choices in life and sometimes those choices require compromise. You do the best you can with what you can and that's all anyone can ask. I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do or what I could have done or what I should have done but in the end it makes very little difference.

Now as to something off topic, so please forgive me.....Why the fuck does Joe post backwards? Why are all his posts in response structured the opposite way from everyone else? Why are his posted responses listed before the quote he is responding to? It's totally counter-intuitive and quite frankly annoying. ac_umm

ac_dunno

Oh I think I already know the answer.....I just want to see what kind of lengthy bullshit answer he comes up with.  :laugh:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_dunno

Oh I think I already know the answer.....I just want to see what kind of lengthy bullshit answer he comes up with.  :laugh:

Oh I see Renee.

ac_smile

Twenty Dollars

I feel pretty good about my past life. No need to go thru it all. There are however a few things I would like take care of before I croke. I have a few regrets, but only a few.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"I feel pretty good about my past life. No need to go thru it all. There are however a few things I would like take care of before I croke. I have a few regrets, but only a few.

I don't how old you are TD, but I gather you are older. I would think what you are saying is pretty standard for guys your age. Just don't go leaving your wife for some good digging ho more than 2 decades younger than urself.  :t1929: