The best topic

Replies: 8416
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

They keep dropping.

Started by Bricktop, January 18, 2016, 05:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

kiebers

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=389655 time=1604861442 user_id=2015
Alex Trebek, host of Jeopardy has died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 80.

Just heard that. Everyone at some time has watched Jeopardy.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

cc

A wonderful and exceptional person ... and a welcome friend in most everyone's living room
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=389655 time=1604861442 user_id=2015
Alex Trebek, host of Jeopardy has died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 80.

ac_crying

cc

Alex was  the nicest and most brilliant celeb I can think of ^^

another great, giving, personable, highly skilled  and loveable person

NHL Player And Broadcaster Howie Meeker Passes Away At 97

Armed services veteran. National Hockey League player, coach and general manager.

Member of Parliament. Top level television broadcaster. Hockey school owner and operator.

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/theprovince/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/prv112100_fabfedtour_01.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=564">

Golly Gee Willikers, what a life.

(That's from what he would often say in a broadcast upon the scoring of an especially skillful  goal" Golly Gee Willikers, what a goal")

During his many years as a broadcaster — primarily on Hockey Night In Canada but later on TSN and BCTV (Global) — Meeker became known as an innovator. He was the first colour man/analyst to master the telestrator, using it not only for goal replays but also to educate the viewers on the finer points of the game. He was the first to inform audiences not only how  a goal was scored but why — even if the key to the score occurred 40 seconds before the fact.

However, despite all his analytical brilliance, it is Howie Meeker the person that the people he worked closest with remember him the most.

"I did quite a few HNIC games with Howie, in fact we did the first NHL game from the new Saddledome in Calgary," recalled Vancouver broadcast legend Jim Robson, a fellow Hockey Hall of Fame inductee. "Howie was quite a guy. A real character. He would go on about how we weren't teaching the skills to our kids.

Of course, he was the first to use the telestrator and that was his big thing."

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/famed-nhl-player-and-broadcaster-howie-meeker-passes-away-at-97">Much More on this fine person

cc

'Jeopardy!' confirms when Alex Trebek's last episode will air

the show confirmed that the final episode of "Jeopardy!" hosted by Trebek will air on Christmas Day 2020. His last day in the studio as the host was filmed on Oct. 29, 2020.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=389711 time=1604886165 user_id=88
'Jeopardy!' confirms when Alex Trebek's last episode will air

the show confirmed that the final episode of "Jeopardy!" hosted by Trebek will air on Christmas Day 2020. His last day in the studio as the host was filmed on Oct. 29, 2020.

I'll record it.

@realAzhyaAryola

May you rest in peace, Alex.

He went rather fast.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: @realAzhyaAryola post_id=389910 time=1605025709 user_id=73
May you rest in peace, Alex.

He went rather fast.

I'll be recording every episode until the final one with Alex Trebek is aired on Christmas day.

Odinson

Diego Maradona 1960 - 2020.

I´m not a football fan but I know that he was one of the best ever.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=391738 time=1606330377 user_id=136

Yes, he was..

My husband, my father in law and my son are all fans of European football.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=391738 time=1606330377 user_id=136

He has had a lot of health problems because of his addictions and weight.

Gaon

Maradona was a football legend who couldn't handle fame and fortune.
The Russian Rock It

Odinson

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=392310 time=1606666177 user_id=136
David Prowse 1935 -2020

ah, Darth Vader

Anonymous

A great human being has passed on.

Walter Edward Williams, one of the world's greatest champions of liberty, passed away this week at the age of 84.

After receiving his bachelor's degree in economics at California State University, Los Angeles and ultimately his doctorate in economics from the University of California, Los Angeles, Williams went on to become a longtime professor of economics at George Mason University.

His first book, "The State Against Blacks," published in 1982, is as relevant as ever. In it, he presented his case that, while racial discrimination and bigotry certainly exist, "it is the 'rules of the game' that account for many of the economic handicaps faced by Blacks. The rules of the game are the many federal, state and local laws that regulate economic activity."

Overregulation by the government, including laws like occupational and business licensing, zoning regulations and the minimum wage, Williams argued, "systematically discriminate against the employment and advancement of people who are outsiders, latecomers and poor in resources."

While it is fashionable among younger generations to condemn capitalism, Williams understood that capitalism is the greatest means for liberating people from poverty known to man.

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man," he said. "Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."

At the core of Williams' views of the world is the notion of self-ownership, the principle that we own ourselves.

"I am my private property, and you are yours," he wrote. Illegitimate, coercive and non-voluntary intrusions on individuals, he argued, are fundamentally immoral. Whether it's a criminal assaulting you physically or the state dictating what you can or can't do with our own life, Williams always put the dignity and integrity of the individual first and foremost.

Though there will only be one Walter E. Williams, his ideas must endure forever.