The best topic

Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

They keep dropping.

Started by Bricktop, January 18, 2016, 05:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"I think in the chaos that is forum life we forget how much people truly touch us in this virtual world.

That's the danger of letting yourself get emotionally invested in a forum community or any form of social media for that matter.

The people you start to consider as friends are still basically strangers. Any emotional attachments you may form are generally misplaced and misguided.

That being said, I'm sorry for Kieber's loss. It would be remiss, impolite and just plain cold of me not to express some sympathy.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

kiebers

Thanks Renee. It was a good friendship. Wish I had been around in the DV days. Dick Yamada will be missed.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Renee

Quote from: "kiebers"Thanks Renee. It was a good friendship. Wish I had been around in the DV days. Dick Yamada will be missed.

I remember him from DV.....but I never really interacted with him much. But as I recall, he seemed a decent enough fellow.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"I think in the chaos that is forum life we forget how much people truly touch us in this virtual world.

That's the danger of letting yourself get emotionally invested in a forum community or any form of social media for that matter.

The people you start to consider as friends are still basically strangers. Any emotional attachments you may form are generally misplaced and misguided.

That being said, I'm sorry for Kieber's loss. It would be remiss, impolite and just plain cold of me not to express some sympathy.

How do you not get emotionally invested though Renee?

Even on the old Asian American forums despite the immaturity that was the norm on those places, I still became online friends with a few posters..

I'm only human and when I interact with people on a daily basis, I get attached..

Some of you maybe stronger than me, but I cannot help myself.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"

How do you not get emotionally invested though Renee?

Even on the old Asian American forums despite the immaturity that was the norm on those places, I still became online friends with a few posters..

I'm only human and when I interact with people on a daily basis, I get attached..

Some of you maybe stronger than me, but I cannot help myself.

Sometimes its not easy....but you have to treat the other posters like anonymous entities. Truth is nobody really knows anyone here or on other forums, regardless of what we like to think.

We are strangers and we shouldn't get attached to each other beyond the casual entertainment this place provides. As I said, it's not always easy but its best to keep some kind of perspective and distance.

Anonymous

QuoteSometimes its not easy....but you have to treat the other posters like anonymous entities. Truth is nobody really knows anyone here or on other forums, regardless of what we like to think.

We are strangers and we shouldn't get attached to each other beyond the casual entertainment this place provides. As I said, it's not always easy but its best to keep some kind of perspective and distance.

It's probably a good policy, but I don't think I am capable of doing that Renee.

RW

I don't agree with you at all on this one.

I have known so many people on this board and others for over a decade.  Take me for example.  This group of people has been with me through the birth of my children, a devastating diagnosis, and countless other up and downs in my life.  I have shared the same trials and tribulations with many other here as well.  How can you not be emotionally invested in people when we share so much each other?

Dick yamada and I were really close for years.  We used to talk almost every day up to a year or so ago.  I knew him better than most and I have no regrets whatsoever having emotionally invested in a relationship with such an amazing person.  He was no stranger to me and I will consider him a friend until the day I join him in death.

I'm absolutely heartbroken that he has passed away because my world is a colder place without him in it but I wouldn't trade this hurt for not knowing him the way I did, not for one second.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "kiebers"Thanks Renee. It was a good friendship. Wish I had been around in the DV days. Dick Yamada will be missed.

He summed up DV so perfectly:

"It was a lot like the big monkey enclosure (not an enclosure for big monkeys) at Stanely Park in the 50's. Lots of hi-jinks, the monkeys fucking around with each other, and with us rubberneckers, and nobody taking anything very seriously.

That was before registration. There was so much good-natured mindless fucking around, lots of stuff that was just for fun, and if anybody took themselves too seriously for too long, they'd get laughed out of the park.
"

He went on to lament a time when we were all more free:

"Now we have "issues" - in the "community". Hurt feelings, sorting it out, all that - not so much play anymore."
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I'm not going to pretend I liked Yamada. However, I would take him anyday compared to the turds I hear are still floating over at the toilet.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

I don't agree with you at all on this one.

I have known so many people on this board and others for over a decade.  Take me for example.  This group of people has been with me through the birth of my children, a devastating diagnosis, and countless other up and downs in my life.  I have shared the same trials and tribulations with many other here as well.  How can you not be emotionally invested in people when we share so much each other?

Dick yamada and I were really close for years.  We used to talk almost every day up to a year or so ago.  I knew him better than most and I have no regrets whatsoever having emotionally invested in a relationship with such an amazing person.  He was no stranger to me and I will consider him a friend until the day I join him in death.

I'm absolutely heartbroken that he has passed away because my world is a colder place without him in it and I wouldn't trade this hurt for not knowing him the way I did, not for one second.

Anonymous

I cannot say I have ever gotten close to anyone on a forum. I have not posted on a lot of forums. I posted on an Asian American forum, but I was not a fit for it. I did get to know Shen Li though.

I would say this cozy little forum is the first time I feel connected beyond words on a screen. Maybe I am just turning into a softie in my old age. ac_umm

RW

Quote from: "Lumpy Rutherford"I cannot say I have ever gotten close to anyone on a forum. I have not posted on a lot of forums. I posted on an Asian American forum, but I was not a fit for it. I did get to know Shen Li though.

I would say this cozy little forum is the first time I feel connected beyond words on a screen. Maybe I am just turning into a softie in my old age. ac_umm

Too much barrel wash ;)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lumpy Rutherford"I cannot say I have ever gotten close to anyone on a forum. I have not posted on a lot of forums. I posted on an Asian American forum, but I was not a fit for it. I did get to know Shen Li though.

Too much barrel wash ;)

See what I mean RW? You know me. :laugh3:

RW

Quote from: "Lumpy Rutherford"

Too much barrel wash ;)

I promise to be upset when you die too.  Cross my heart :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lumpy Rutherford"

Too much barrel wash ;)

I promise to be upset when you die too.  Cross my heart :)

Thanks, I think. ac_umm