Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

2015 By Far The Hottest Year In Recorded History

Started by Romero, January 20, 2016, 06:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"Because we're just SO over science.  Now is the golden age of the conspiracy theory.  NOAA and NASA?  They are in league with the lizardmen who want to take away my freedom to pour sufuric acid into my local streams and ponds!  This random graph I finded on the interwebz is the real source fo TRUTH!!11

I absolutely believe man is contributing at least to some degree to changes in climate. But, it's not the first time this has happened . The solutions proposed will solve nothing, but place a burden on working Canadians. There's nothing Canada can do to reverse any changes in the climate.

RW

As part of an ecosystem we obviously have an impact on it.  I don't know why that's still even a debatable point.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"As part of an ecosystem we obviously have an impact on it.  I don't know why that's still even a debatable point.

With real pollution like soil erosion we can say with certainty exactly what man's impact is. But, with something like C02 we can't do that.

Romero

QuoteEuropean Summers Are The Warmest They've Been In Two Millennia, Study Says

Since the turn of the century, most of Europe has experienced record-hot summer months that at times were deadly.

Just last year – now known as the world's hottest year on record — France had to take measures to prevent the catastrophe it experienced during the summer of 2003, when a heat wave killed between 15,000 and 19,000 people. Madrid and many German cities also set their all-time heat records. Even parts of the Arctic state of Sweden saw temperatures reach almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit last July.

These summer heat waves were called historic more than once. Yet following a new study of ancient climate published Thursday in Environmental Research Letters, scientists say we may have underestimated just how hot today's European summers are, compared to the region's history.

"The past 30 summers — 1986-2015 — were warmer than any other 30-year period since at least 138 BC," said Nick McKay, a researcher from the School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability at Northern Arizona University, in an email to ThinkProgress. McKay, who was not part of the study, added the study is "the most state-of-the-art" attempt to reconstruct European summer temperatures over the past 2,000 years.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/01/29/3744152/european-historic-heat-waves/">//http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/01/29/3744152/european-historic-heat-waves/

RW

Wasn't me but instead of bitching why don't you just edit it?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

I didn't bitch. I only asked why it was changed. It was the complete opposite from my original title.

RW

If I was to guess, maybe the thread Shen started with the exact opposite title got merged with yours and the janky forum software changed the title perhaps?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "RW"As part of an ecosystem we obviously have an impact on it.  I don't know why that's still even a debatable point.

With real pollution like soil erosion we can say with certainty exactly what man's impact is. But, with something like C02 we can't do that.

Canadians are being lied to. Carbon taxes, any cuts we make to our C02 emissions, and expensive green energy initiatives will not alter climate. They will take a lot of money out of our pockets though. If there are changes in weather patterns either from El Nino, changes in sun spots or from man we adapt to it and move on. Why do we keep choosing the most expensive and useless solutuons,

Romero

QuoteScientists are floored by what's happening in the Arctic right now

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbbB7NsXEAAp2Lw.png">

New data from NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration suggest that January of 2016 was, for the globe, a truly extraordinary month. Coming off the hottest year ever recorded (2015), January saw the greatest departure from average of any month on record, according to data provided by NASA.

But as you can see in the NASA figure above, the record breaking heat wasn't uniformly distributed — it was particularly pronounced at the top of the world, showing temperature anomalies above 4 degrees Celsius (7.2 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than the 1951 to 1980 average in this region.

Global warming has long been known to be particularly intense in the Arctic — a phenomenon known as "Arctic amplification" — but even so, lately the phenomenon has been extremely pronounced.

This unusual Arctic heat has been accompanied by a new record low level for Arctic sea ice extent during the normally ice-packed month of January, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center — over 400,000 square miles below average for the month. And of course, that is closely tied to warm Arctic air temperatures.

"We've looked at the average January temperatures, and we look at what we call the 925 millibar level, about 3,000 feet up in the atmosphere," says Mark Serreze, the center's director. "And it was, I would say, absurdly warm across the entire Arctic Ocean." The center reports temperature anomalies at this altitude of "more than 6 degrees Celsius (13 degrees Fahrenheit) above average" for the month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/02/18/scientists-are-floored-by-whats-happening-in-the-arctic-right-now/">//https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/02/18/scientists-are-floored-by-whats-happening-in-the-arctic-right-now/

I found this article to be informative so I decided to post it.

cc

Stop driving. Stop eating. Stop farting. Stop breathing

Buck up and do your part
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

reel

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Herman"

Canadians are being lied to. Carbon taxes, any cuts we make to our C02 emissions, and expensive green energy initiatives will not alter climate. They will take a lot of money out of our pockets though. If there are changes in weather patterns either from El Nino, changes in sun spots or from man we adapt to it and move on. Why do we keep choosing the most expensive and useless solutuons,

This is a bit naive.  Canadians are being lied to by NASA and NOAA?  To what end?  Green energy initiatives may be expensive now, but if we adopt them intelligently as an industry, that's a good thing for us and the cost will also gradually come down.  Carbon taxes in BC have demonstrably altered consumer energy consumption.  Alternatives create a great deal of innovation.  

How do you know that we keep choosing expensive and useless solutions?  I recently designed an LNG power plant with battery back-up for a class of ships that permits one of the two engines to be shut down throughout 90% of the operating profile.  It's around 30% fuel savings vs. keeping the second engine constantly at idle (otherwise required for safety) and will have an ROI of under 2 years.  It's only possible due to developments in battery technology driven by alternative energy research.  They are local transport ships, so the owner, if he so chooses can pass the fuel savings on to you.  Will that take money out of your pocket?

RW

The word "intelligently" is important and that's where I start losing faith.
Beware of Gaslighters!

reel

Quote from: "RW"The word "intelligently" is important and that's where I start losing faith.

Don't.  Many ideas are thrown around, researched by idealists and venture capitalists, or misrepresented by silly media, but the ones that make it through to application are, for the most part, intelligent.  If they weren't, no one would pay for them.

The BC Ferries fleet is converting to LNG.  I guarantee you that they would not be doing that purely as a PR move, yet it will substantially reduce their CO2 output.

RW

I do worry because things start out as good ideas then get perverted by greed.
Beware of Gaslighters!

reel

Quote from: "RW"I do worry because things start out as good ideas then get perverted by greed.

Mostly the good ideas get rejected by greed and we maintain the status quo.  The ones that go ahead are the good ideas that align with greed, but that doesn't necessarily make them perverted.  Watered down, less effective, slightly disappointing maybe but that's the idealogical purist in me speaking.