Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

A

Canadian Pacific Railway to cut up to 1,000 jobs as rail volume slumps

Started by Anonymous, January 21, 2016, 02:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "easter bunny"
Why should they keep hiring people to sit on trains doing nothing when they can just use cameras and monitor everything in real time using computers? Pretty soon 'the machine' will have no use for anyone anymore.

Can computers apply handbrakes? Can a computer follow the special instructions in each timetable? Can a computer cut in/cut out air? Can a computer count cars to a joint? Can a computer report a broken rail/busted joint bar? Can a computer know to slow down for a broken frog? Can a computer take a clearance and clarify it with engineering crews and RTC? Can a computer change out a broken knuckle? Can a computer follow inspections rules for passing trains and for trains sitting in a siding?

Never mind the fact that class 1 railways are REQUIRED by Transport Canada to have both a hogger and a conductor, it is physically impossible for computer to run freight trains. Dude, I'd like to take you over to Walker Yard and show you what the job actually involves.

Running Trades is a physical labour job.

What the hell girl? How do you all this stuff? Are you 150 years old and one of the original Chinese who built the CPR?

easter bunny

Why should they keep hiring people to sit on trains doing nothing when they can just use cameras and monitor everything in real time using computers? Pretty soon 'the machine' will have no use for anyone anymore.

Can computers apply handbrakes? Can a computer follow the special instructions in each timetable? Can a computer cut in/cut out air? Can a computer count cars to a joint? Can a computer report a broken rail/busted joint bar? Can a computer know to slow down for a broken frog? Can a computer take a clearance and clarify it with engineering crews and RTC? Can a computer change out a broken knuckle? Can a computer follow inspections rules for passing trains and for trains sitting in a siding?

Never mind the fact that class 1 railways are REQUIRED by Transport Canada to have both a hogger and a conductor, it is physically impossible for computer to run freight trains. Dude, I'd like to take you over to Walker Yard and show you what the job actually involves.

Everything except the actual repair work can be automated. We're starting the transition to driverless vehicles now. Progress stops for no one. Humans will soon be obsolete.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

What the hell girl? How do you all this stuff? Are you 150 years old and one of the original Chinese who built the CPR?

My Daddy was a civil engineer for the railway in China. He was a Division Engineer with CN on the Edson sub. I grew up around the railroad. It's in my blood. My parents wanted me to be a civil engineer at first before they decided petroleum engineer would be better.

I was just getting warmed up to. Can a computer look at a target and determine if it's lined fr normal or reverse? Can a computer tell if there is a gap between switch points

Anonymous

Everything except the actual repair work can be automated. We're starting the transition to driverless vehicles now. Progress stops for no one. Humans will soon be obsolete.

You are comparing a car to a freight train? Moving trains is but a small part of the running trades job or did you just ignore every single thing I explained about the job?

Look there's no point in talking if you are not going to listen right? I'm not pulling this out of my ass, I'm telling you what the job is and it is not two people driving and blowing horns and whistles at crossings at grade.

Now, do you want to learn about running trades/engineering services/mechanical or do you want to make ridiculous analogies to driverless cars?

Anonymous

It looks like you are confusing passenger trains with freight trains.

easter bunny

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a computer geek who can automate that process.   ac_unsure

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

It looks like you are confusing passenger trains with freight trains.

He's comparing Nissan Versa's to GE ES44AC road engines. They do not perform the same tasks.

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a computer geek who can automate that process.   ac_unsure

Like Herm said, you could automate passenger/commuter trains, but rest assured there will always be well paid switchmen complaining about "conductor's knees" from entraining and detraining from those rungs.They make good money, but it's a hard job. However, running trades(or the royal family as they are called) is just one job of many that keeps a class 1 railway going.

Anonymous

CP stock was up about $16 after yesterday's announcement. ac_umm

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"CP stock was up about $16 after yesterday's announcement. ac_umm

Not one net job is being eliminated either. Any power that is not pulling cars, those running trades guys will be offered jobs in other departments until volumes pick up again. They go run a TR10 on a tie gang for a season and they are back spotting cars. You were right, it was a bullshit announcement to boost slumping stock prices.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"CP stock was up about $16 after yesterday's announcement. ac_umm

Not one net job is being eliminated either. Any power that is not pulling cars, those running trades guys will be offered jobs in other departments until volumes pick up again. They go run a TR10 on a tie gang for a season and they are back spotting cars. You were right, it was a bullshit announcement to boost slumping stock prices.

This is a relief.

I live near Keith Yard and I don't mind being held up at crossings by trains as long as nobody loses their jobs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

This is a relief.

I live near Keith Yard and I don't mind being held up at crossings by trains as long as nobody loses their jobs.

This is an announcement Hunter Harrison wanted the media to run with and they took the bait.

Anonymous

CP is hiring conductors and from this ad it looks like they hope to poach some from CN.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=CPR&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=46624&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=FFcSt8bbMhfeAnjBOgVSSkCT28w%3D">https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... SkCT28w%3d">https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=CPR&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=46624&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=FFcSt8bbMhfeAnjBOgVSSkCT28w%3d

Anonymous

Maybe 100 new unionized positions available at CP. Not bad for a company that claims they are cutting 1000 positions. :001_rolleyes:

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?company=CPR&career_ns=job_listing_summary&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&_s.crb=7A687bq5ppDC2l%2BgjCIhJg6x3V4%3D">https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... Jg6x3V4%3d">https://career4.successfactors.com/career?company=CPR&career_ns=job_listing_summary&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&_s.crb=7A687bq5ppDC2l%2bgjCIhJg6x3V4%3d

Rambo Wong

Holy Angelina Jolie! CP rail mistreated the Chinese people that built the railroad and Canada must atone for it's racist past and it's racisthead tax too.