Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

To Shoot and Protect

Started by RW, February 26, 2016, 12:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

QuoteHESSTON, Kan. -- A man who stormed into a Kansas factory where he worked and shot 15 people, killing three, had just been served with a protective order that probably triggered the attack, authorities said Friday.

The assault at the Excel Industries lawnmower parts plant in the small town of Hesston ended when a police officer killed the gunman in a shootout.

Harvey County Sheriff T. Walton described the officer as a "tremendous hero" because 200 or 300 people were still in the factory and the "shooter wasn't done by any means."

"Had that Hesston officer not done what he did, this would be a whole lot more tragic," Walton said.

The sheriff identified the gunman as Cedric Ford, a 38-year-old plant worker who was armed with an assault rifle and a pistol.

While driving to the factory, the gunman shot a man on the street, striking him in the shoulder. A short time later, he shot someone else in the leg at an intersection, authorities said.

The suspect shot one person in the factory parking lot before opening fire inside the building, the sheriff's department said in a news release.

Ford had several convictions in Florida over the last decade. His past offences included burglary, grand theft, fleeing from an officer, aggravated fleeing and carrying a concealed weapon, all from Broward and Miami-Dade counties.  According to the Wichita Eagle, Ford also had criminal cases in Harvey County, including a misdemeanour conviction in 2008 for fighting or brawling and various traffic violations from 2014 and 2015.

Walton said his office served the suspect with the protection-from-abuse order at around 3:30 p.m., about 90 minutes before the first shooting happened. He said such orders are usually filed because there's some type of violence in a relationship. He did not disclose the nature of the relationship in question.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/cop-who-killed-kansas-gunman-a-tremendous-hero-1.2793878">http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/cop-who-kil ... -1.2793878">http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/cop-who-killed-kansas-gunman-a-tremendous-hero-1.2793878

I know this will come up as an issue for gun control which has been beaten to death but I want to make a point of the highlighted text above.  They say he was served with a protective order less than 2 hours before going on his shooting spree.  Usually people being served with protective orders are not right in the head, which makes me question why we even bother with it in the first place.  I think if a person is harassing another person they should be arrested, detained and given a psychological evaluation as they are a threat to others not just handed a piece of paper and bid a good day.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"
QuoteHESSTON, Kan. -- A man who stormed into a Kansas factory where he worked and shot 15 people, killing three, had just been served with a protective order that probably triggered the attack, authorities said Friday.

The assault at the Excel Industries lawnmower parts plant in the small town of Hesston ended when a police officer killed the gunman in a shootout.

Harvey County Sheriff T. Walton described the officer as a "tremendous hero" because 200 or 300 people were still in the factory and the "shooter wasn't done by any means."

"Had that Hesston officer not done what he did, this would be a whole lot more tragic," Walton said.

The sheriff identified the gunman as Cedric Ford, a 38-year-old plant worker who was armed with an assault rifle and a pistol.

While driving to the factory, the gunman shot a man on the street, striking him in the shoulder. A short time later, he shot someone else in the leg at an intersection, authorities said.

The suspect shot one person in the factory parking lot before opening fire inside the building, the sheriff's department said in a news release.

Ford had several convictions in Florida over the last decade. His past offences included burglary, grand theft, fleeing from an officer, aggravated fleeing and carrying a concealed weapon, all from Broward and Miami-Dade counties.  According to the Wichita Eagle, Ford also had criminal cases in Harvey County, including a misdemeanour conviction in 2008 for fighting or brawling and various traffic violations from 2014 and 2015.

Walton said his office served the suspect with the protection-from-abuse order at around 3:30 p.m., about 90 minutes before the first shooting happened. He said such orders are usually filed because there's some type of violence in a relationship. He did not disclose the nature of the relationship in question.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/cop-who-killed-kansas-gunman-a-tremendous-hero-1.2793878">http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/cop-who-kil ... -1.2793878">http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/cop-who-killed-kansas-gunman-a-tremendous-hero-1.2793878

I know this will come up as an issue for gun control which has been beaten to death but I want to make a point of the highlighted text above.  They say he was served with a protective order less than 2 hours before going on his shooting spree.  Usually people being served with protective orders are not right in the head, which makes me question why we even bother with it in the first place.  I think if a person is harassing another person they should be arrested, detained and given a psychological evaluation as they are a threat to others not just handed a piece of paper and bid a good day.

Good point, how many times have we seen situations like this, where a woman or whoever takes a restraining out against a husband, boyfriend or partner only to be killed by the so-called restrained party?

Orders of protection are bullshit. If someone is willing to physically abuse or seriously threaten another, does a piece of paper really make a difference?

Personally if I were threatened to the point where I thought my life or the life of my children were in jeopardy. I would deal with on my own terms and call the authorities afterward to clean up the mess. I'd rather face a trial and get 3 hots and cot than have a piece of court issued nonsense stand between me and death. Believe it or not I was taught that mindset by my dad, the retired police officer.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Exactly.  A piece of paper is going to do fuck all when there are serious mental issues involved.  I've seen it inflame rather than calm things.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"

Good point, how many times have we seen situations like this, where a woman or whoever takes a restraining out against a husband, boyfriend or partner only to be killed by the so-called restrained party?

Orders of protection are bullshit. If someone is willing to physically abuse or seriously threaten another, does a piece of paper really make a difference?

Personally if I were threatened to the point where I thought my life or the life of my children were in jeopardy. I would deal with on my own terms and call the authorities afterward to clean up the mess. I'd rather face a trial and get 3 hots and cot than have a piece of court issued nonsense stand between me and death. Believe it or not I was taught that mindset by my dad, the retired police officer.

How about moving, a change of employment and even identity.

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"Exactly.  A piece of paper is going to do fuck all when there are serious mental issues involved.  I've seen it inflame rather than calm things.

Maybe if they'd added a protection from being shot order. =(

RW

I'd prefer a warrant for said creep's arrest.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

The problem with that is when he gets out.

Annie

This is the result of someone being told No you can't come here or you can't do that, and after being told No enough he cracked and got mad at being told No. A dangerous person .
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Both of my sisters have had idiot exes. No restraining order and no handgun was necessary. A visit to those bastards from me was enough of a cease and desist order. Brothers---get some.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"Both of my sisters have had idiot exes. No restraining order and no handgun was necessary. A visit to those bastards from me was enough of a cease and desist order. Brothers---get some.

Good to know there are still some real men around. :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Herman"Both of my sisters have had idiot exes. No restraining order and no handgun was necessary. A visit to those bastards from me was enough of a cease and desist order. Brothers---get some.

Good to know there are still some real men around. :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Most guys would do the same.