News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8347
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:20:06 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

What's stopping you from getting what you want out of life?

Started by shin, February 22, 2016, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Describe your level of self-discipline

1-2: I wake up, turn on the computer, and eat free food. My life is awesome!
0 (0%)
3-4: Does using an alarm count? hey, at least I go outside sometimes!
1 (12.5%)
5-6: I have a job. It's called being a babysitter.
1 (12.5%)
7-8: I'm self-sufficient, and I make problems disappear... yep, those roaches are gone whenever I walk into the room.
5 (62.5%)
9-10: Whatever I touch turns to gold. I've got more food stamps than you've got lost hours of sleep.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 22, 2016, 10:13:55 AM

shin

Sometimes self improvement involves taking unpleasant measures into action.

Is your life perfect? If your answer is "no", have you ever thought about why that is, or what you can do to change it?

No, this isn't an infomercial, nor am I trying to kill your buzz. I'm just offering a little food for thought. I'm sure you've seen more than a few people out and about who seemed to be having a good life. Without exhibiting a degree of jealousy, a simple comparison among lifestyles might prove educational.

Before we continue, I think we should state for the record that being awesome at life doesn't necessarily equate to being wealthy... but I do think living above the poverty line helps.

Another question to ask your self is "What do I really want out of life that I can realistically obtain?" Where there's a will, there's a way. Most people don't want a whole lot, but they want more than what they have. Some people just want a perfect family. I think most of the rest are stuck in apathy or want something unhealthy.

I think I've done enough babbling... so what do you want out of life?

RW

Honestly shin, I'm getting to the point where I want to stop fixating on fixing myself.  My life is fine all things considered.  There are things I can't change and just have to accept.  I think telling ourselves we constantly need to improve does our heads in.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Sometimes self improvement involves taking unpleasant measures into action.

Is your life perfect? If your answer is "no", have you ever thought about why that is, or what you can do to change it?

No, this isn't an infomercial, nor am I trying to kill your buzz. I'm just offering a little food for thought. I'm sure you've seen more than a few people out and about who seemed to be having a good life. Without exhibiting a degree of jealousy, a simple comparison among lifestyles might prove educational.

Before we continue, I think we should state for the record that being awesome at life doesn't necessarily equate to being wealthy... but I do think living above the poverty line helps.

Another question to ask your self is "What do I really want out of life that I can realistically obtain?" Where there's a will, there's a way. Most people don't want a whole lot, but they want more than what they have. Some people just want a perfect family. I think most of the rest are stuck in apathy or want something unhealthy.

I chose the last option shin. I bitch a lot, but all things considered I'm pretty happy with my life.  As senator Al Franken would say, gosh darn it, people like me.  :001_tongue:

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Sometimes self improvement involves taking unpleasant measures into action.

As an old guy, I am not making any big changes now. It is the way it is. Besides, how many high school educated farm boys from Saskatchewan have seen as much of the world as I have. And I don't mean from a five star hotel in the capital city with car and driver like reel.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Stop calling yourself an "old guy".  You're 45 FFS!

I'm 48. D.O.B. January 4 1968.

keeper

Quote from: "Herman"

Ya that is old...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

Ya that is old...

I don't think so Keeper.

RW

That isn't old either FFS.

80+ is OLD
Beware of Gaslighters!

shin

Quote from: "RW"Honestly shin, I'm getting to the point where I want to stop fixating on fixing myself.  My life is fine all things considered.  There are things I can't change and just have to accept.  I think telling ourselves we constantly need to improve does our heads in.

Just as long as you don't give up on maintaining a reasonable standard behind your continued happiness, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"

80+ is OLD

Old is when middle age ends and elderly begins. For most it's around 60.

By global standards, 80+ is not just old, its fucking ancient.

The average age of mortality world wide is around 68 for men and 73 for women. We here in modern western civilization live longer so we have a skewed POV on the subject.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Twenty Dollars

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"

80+ is OLD

Old is when middle age ends and elderly begins. For most it's around 60.

By global standards, 80+ is not just old, its fucking ancient.

The average age of mortality world wide is around 68 for men and 73 for women. We here in modern western civilization live longer so we have a skewed POV on the subject.

My father-in-law is in his 70s and I don't see him as being old.  My dad is in his 60s and I don't think of him as old at all.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Quote from: "Keeper"

Ya that is old...

Positively ancient.

Surprised he can operate a computer.

reel

As an old guy, I am not making any big changes now. It is the way it is. Besides, how many high school educated farm boys from Saskatchewan have seen as much of the world as I have. And I don't mean from a five star hotel in the capital city with car and driver like reel.

I can't figure out if that was a dig at me or not.   :sad:  I'm about 50/50 between travelling that way to meet clients or go to conferences and going to shipyards, which are rarely in big cities and even more rarely comfortable places to be.

To answer the question, I need more time.  I think I'm sort of front end loading things.  The pace is frenetic most of the time now, but I don't plan to keep it up longterm.  I really don't know if it's the right choice, but it's where I'm at.