Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Gravy

Started by Renee, March 13, 2016, 09:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

As promised, Fash....this is my basic sauce. I use this as the starting point for most of my Italian recipes. Don't hold me to some of the amounts as I usually eyeball it. You will have to experiment a little to fine tune it.

[size=150]Ingredients[/size]

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

8 cloves fresh garlic, minced

1 medium onion, diced

4 fresh Italian sausages, casings removed

One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand

One 28-ounce can tomato puree

One 28-ounce can tomato sauce

One 8-ounce can tomato paste

1 cup fresh basil, chopped

1 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1 cup red wine..a Shiraz, a Penot Noir, a dry Marsala or even a shitty Merlot will do depending on the taste you are looking for.

1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon salt (usually kosher)

1 tablespoon of sugar.

[size=150]Directions[/size]

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, sausages and onions and brown them lightly

Add the San Marzano tomatoes (crush them in your hand, it's messy) and 1/2 can water, bring to a simmer. Add the tomato puree, 1/2 can of water and simmer again. Repeat with the tomato sauce, again adding 1/2 can of water and bring the sauce to a simmer. (If you want thicker sauce add less water) Add tomato paste sir and cook until the paste is melted.

Add the basil, parsley, red wine, pepper, salt and sugar into the pot and stir. Simmer for 3 to 4 hours. Stir every 20 minutes minimum. Refrigerate for 24 hours, sauce is always better the next day.

I use this for the basis of all my pasta dishes that call for red sauce. Again you will have to experiment. I've been doing this for years and I still get different outcomes. :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Twenty Dollars

Actually that sounds pretty good. You need to skip the sausage tho.

RW

San Marzano tomatoes FTW!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Actually that sounds pretty good. You need to skip the sausage tho.

Idiot, it's the pork that creates the underlying flavor that is key to the sauce.

You need to "skip" the coments because you are a fucking moron. :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

RW

Mine is fairly similar:

1 small sweet onion

4-5 cloves garlic whole

1 can San Marzano whole tomatoes (I use Passata in a pinch)

5-6 large fresh sweet basil leaves

Salt and pepper to taste

Sugar to taste

I dice the onion and peel the garlic leaving the cloves whole and fry in olive oil on medium-low heat.  The key is caramelizing the onions until they are sweet but not "browning" them.  They should be soft.  Then I add the can of tomatoes, crushing the whole tomatoes as they come out of the can.  I let that simmer for a good 30 minutes.  I taste it at that point and season with salt, pepper and even sugar.

Now you probably think I'm nuts with the sugar but tomatoes can be rather acidic.  To counter that, you can use a LITTLE BIT of white sugar to take the edge off.  I add a couple pinches until it just cuts the acidity.  If you use too much, the sauce is sweet and kind of gross.

After seasoning to taste, I make a decision.  Do I keep all, some or none of the garlic in the sauce.  If you are to follow the original "recipe", you take it all out.  If you're life me and live garlic, you leave it all in.  I take my stick blender to the pan and blend everything at this point.  It's not necessary but I like it smooth.

Just before you are going to serve the sauce, chop up the basil.  Don't mutilate the stuff.  It's fine to be in strips.  Add it to the sauce and leave it for another couple minutes.

Add to pasta and serve.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Actually that sounds pretty good. You need to skip the sausage tho.

Idiot, it's the pork that creates the underlying flavor that is key to the sauce.

Yes I know this fact. Flavor. Do you need the calories? I'm a moron? Your fat. Tit for tat.

Twenty Dollars

The recipe is perfect. I don't have any problems eating this stuff. I don't have a weight issue.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Mine is fairly similar:

1 small sweet onion

4-5 cloves garlic whole

Salt and pepper to taste

Sugar to taste

I dice the onion and peel the garlic leaving the cloves whole and fry in olive oil on medium-low heat.  The key is caramelizing the onions until they are sweet but not "browning" them.  They should be soft.  Then I add the can of tomatoes, crushing the whole tomatoes as they come out of the can.  I let that simmer for a good 30 minutes.  I taste it at that point and season with salt, pepper and even sugar.

Now you probably think I'm nuts with the sugar but tomatoes can be rather acidic.  To counter that, you can use a LITTLE BIT of white sugar to take the edge off.  I add a couple pinches until it just cuts the acidity.  If you use too much, the sauce is sweet and kind of gross.

After seasoning to taste, I make a decision.  Do I keep all, some or none of the garlic in the sauce.  If you are to follow the original "recipe", you take it all out.  If you're life me and live garlic, you leave it all in.  I take my stick blender to the pan and blend everything at this point.  It's not necessary but I like it smooth.

Just before you are going to serve the sauce, chop up the basil.  Don't mutilate the stuff.  It's fine to be in strips.  Add it to the sauce and leave it for another couple minutes.

Add to pasta and serve.

Thanks for mentioning the sugar. I put sugar into my directions but completely left it out of the ingredients.....! My blonde roots are showing.  :laugh3:

Renee

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

Yes I know this fact. Flavor. Do you need the calories? I'm a moron? Your fat. Tit for tat.

You keep laboring under the idea that calling me fat is some kind of attrocious insult. Do you think you are the first to call me that? Do you think it bothers me when it comes from  a stranger like you....a sun baked piece of dog shit with the IQ of a floor lamp?

Truthfully I'd much rather be fat than stupid. Being considered stupid here or in real life is about as degrading as it gets. Sucks to be you, no wonder you enjoy living in a third world banana republic were on average the natives don't make it past the 6th grade. You must look like a mental giant with you 9th grade education.

And before you rattle off your canned "assumption" bullshit, be advised that I am basing your abject stupidity on the history of your posts. No assumptions here, just observation.

Twenty Dollars

Is this why you lurch from indecision to indecision?

To me it's sad to see a young women struggling with weight issues. Most of the time it has to do with self control. Don't you agree?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"As promised, Fash....this is my basic sauce. I use this as the starting point for most of my Italian recipes. Don't hold me to some of the amounts as I usually eyeball it. You will have to experiment a little to fine tune it.

This is awesome Renee. I love a good pasta, but as a bachelor I don't make my own. I would like to give this a try though.

What are San Marzano tomatoes?

Renee

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Renee"As promised, Fash....this is my basic sauce. I use this as the starting point for most of my Italian recipes. Don't hold me to some of the amounts as I usually eyeball it. You will have to experiment a little to fine tune it.

This is awesome Renee. I love a good pasta, but as a bachelor I don't make my own. I would like to give this a try though.

They are a type of heirloom tomato that is long a thin. They are thicker, have less acid and a stronger tomato taste.

http://img.dooyoo.de/DE_DE/orig/2/3/5/2/9/2352963.jpg">

http://www.cookinghow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/cento.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

They are a type of heirloom tomato that is long a thin. They are thicker, have less acid and a stronger tomato taste.

http://img.dooyoo.de/DE_DE/orig/2/3/5/2/9/2352963.jpg">

http://www.cookinghow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/cento.jpg">

They look like roma tomatoes.

RW

Quote from: "RW"Mine is fairly similar:

1 small sweet onion

4-5 cloves garlic whole

Salt and pepper to taste

Sugar to taste

Add to pasta and serve.

Thanks for mentioning the sugar. I put sugar into my directions but completely left it out of the ingredients.....! My blonde roots are showing.  :laugh3:

I find it funny how similar our recipes are, including the tomato type.  I add meats and other veggies to mine as well but that's my base pomodoro.  I can say I've never added wine though.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

All this pasta talk makes me want to go to Sobeys and buy all the ingredients needed to make sauce.