News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

What's wrong with the newer generations?

Started by shin, March 22, 2016, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Ah...er...pass...In 40C heat, manure piles aren't so much fun.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Ah...er...pass...In 40C heat, manure piles aren't so much fun.

No, I wouldn't think they would be.

shin

Quote from: "Fashionista"Latchkey kids are not uncommon in Taiwan..

My own opinion is that many young people would rather snapchat or text than talk..

They have lost the ability or desire to communicate face to face or even on the phone.

Exactly! The net is their safety blanket between their emotions and reality on their communication vessel of choice.

A fun little experiment I've done is walking up to a millennial and asking them what a world would be like with no cell phones and Internet. The answers you're likely to get are priceless!  :laugh3:

...but it is a troubling paradox. Just when we've found away to facilitate communication beyond borders, it gets minimized because we use the means or self-indulgent activities more often.

shin

Quote from: "RW"Generations change and that's the reality of life.  Every generation bitches about the previous ones.  I think the new kids have to pave the way for a new world.

you seem to be the most straightforward of this lot based on my short time here. It seems you rarely let your emotions supersede your need to reason.

I think you would make a good leader in a divisive predicament.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Latchkey kids are not uncommon in Taiwan..

My own opinion is that many young people would rather snapchat or text than talk..

They have lost the ability or desire to communicate face to face or even on the phone.

Exactly, the thought of personal face to face communication panics them. What you are left with is mumbling, stuttering, shoe gazers.

I see it in work among the 20 somethings and I see it among my daughters's teenage friends. Not all of them mind you but enough of a percentage to make it troubling.

Don't even get me started on their written English. Sentence structure and punctuation are almost nonexistent. Consequently a coherent message is.....

up for grabs. :laugh3:

AOL shorthand has utterly ruined them. I've chatted with a lot of people from the U.K. and the grammar and spelling atrocities I've seen coming from their end makes me want to weep for humanity.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but I hear the state of public school classrooms are very difficult for the teachers to conduct class with the number of children acting up, ignoring the lessons, and otherwise becoming truant. It makes me thankful that I managed to go to school when the majority still seemed to respect the institution of education being directed by teachers.

shin

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"ALL of them. She has friends all over the planet, and is chatting constantly.

It pisses me off. Even though she's banging on 30's door, I STILL get on her case about it.

I have to admit the novelty of chatting with people in other countries was fun for the first few years of being exposed to the Internet. You learn things about how people live abroad more readily... and then the trolls and scammers erase your cares about the previous.

shin

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"ALL of them. She has friends all over the planet, and is chatting constantly.

It pisses me off. Even though she's banging on 30's door, I STILL get on her case about it.

I can relate to that. My son is 25 and has friends all over the place.

Does your son like videogames, anime, or other comic books type fiction?

I think these were instrumental for me in developing an interest in something with a creative outlook that could be applied to the real world somehow. They also provided a makeshift conduit for doing my own version of critical thinking in a time before I had a computer.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"

I have to admit the novelty of chatting with people in other countries was fun for the first few years of being exposed to the Internet. You learn things about how people live abroad more readily... and then the trolls and scammers erase your cares about the previous.

We all liked it shin and in some cases I still like getting stories and pictures from family and friends in Korea and the states.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

I can relate to that. My son is 25 and has friends all over the place.

Does your son like videogames, anime, or other comic books type fiction?

I think these were instrumental for me in developing an interest in something with a creative outlook that could be applied to the real world somehow. They also provided a makeshift conduit for doing my own version of critical thinking in a time before I had a computer.

He loves the videogames a little too much.

Bricktop

The only thing wrong with the latest generation is that I am not in it.

shin

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"The only thing wrong with the latest generation is that I am not in it.

Do you want to be forever young?  ac_biggrin

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"The only thing wrong with the latest generation is that I am not in it.

You are up early today shin..

Do you have a three day weekend?

Any special plans?

Twenty Dollars

Why YES.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Then you should have died at 22.

:swoon: