Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

quiz: how thick is your bubble

Started by Anonymous, March 24, 2016, 10:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I never heard of Charles Murray until I saw him on PBS..

He created a quiz to gauge if we live in a social and cultural bubble..

I scored 49.

http://dailysignal.com/2012/03/29/quiz-how-thick-is-your-bubble/">http://dailysignal.com/2012/03/29/quiz- ... ur-bubble/">http://dailysignal.com/2012/03/29/quiz-how-thick-is-your-bubble/

Bricktop

Its tailored to Americana...

I got 28.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Its tailored to Americana...

I got 28.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

It is tailored to Americans..

Many I had to guess..

I live in a very diverse neighbourhood in a very diverse city..

Some are probably doing physical labour jobs, but are highly educated in their home countries.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I scored 46. A lot of those American chains are not in the Czuk. Also, Renee, wtf is lettering in high school?

Anonymous

BTW, I thought this was going to be about thick asses. :sneaky2:

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Why? Have you got one?

It can be used as a substitute for a protractor. ac_razz

Annie

Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Bricktop

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Why? Have you got one?

It can be used as a substitute for a protractor. ac_razz

Pics?

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"I scored 46. A lot of those American chains are not in the Czuk. Also, Renee, wtf is lettering in high school?

It's an award for excellence be it in sports or academics. It a big deal because it shows that you have been considered by your coaches and teachers to have gone above and beyond in a certain activity or subject. Few are nominated, fewer receive the award. It means you are one of the elite.

If you are lucky enough to get one it takes the form of a patch shaped like a letter (usually the first letter of the schools name) you wear the patch either on a sweater with the school colors or a team jacket. It's usually big and thick and made out of chenille. It works the same for college.

I understand it is a tradition that started in the ivy league colleges (Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc) in the late 19th century and spread from there.

BTW, I scored a 56.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I scored 46. A lot of those American chains are not in the Czuk. Also, Renee, wtf is lettering in high school?

It's an award for excellence be it in sports or academics. It a big deal because it shows that you have been considered by your coaches and teachers to have gone above and beyond in a certain activity or subject. Few are nominated, fewer receive the award. It means you are one of the elite.

If you are lucky enough to get one it takes the form of a patch shaped like a letter (usually the first letter of the schools name) you wear the patch either on a sweater with the school colors or a team jacket. It's usually big and thick and made out of chenille. It works the same for college.

I understand it is a tradition that started in the ivy league colleges (Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc) in the late 19th century and spread from there.

BTW, I scored a 56.

Teachers and coaches can unilaterally confer lettering on a student Renee, or does one teacher nominate and it has to be seconded or more by their peers?

It sounds interesting.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"

BTW, I scored a 56.

Teachers and coaches can unilaterally confer lettering on a student Renee, or does one teacher nominate and it has to be seconded or more by their peers?

It sounds interesting.

The way it works is a coach or teacher nominates a candidate by writing a letter to the award committee. That letter has to outline all the specifics of why the candidate or candidates are being nominated. The award comittee which is usually made up of coaching and teaching staff along with alumni that have lettered in the past, review the candidate's qualifications and then they vote on it.

The minimum threshold for nomination is usually a high level of participation in a given activity. Performance and personal character, conduct on and off the field are then taken into consideration and are actually the deciding factors. As I said few are nominated and fewer actually receive an award letter. Candidates are nominated once a year and if they are good enough, they can be nominated and receive multiple letters over successive years.

In terms of lettering in sports, most schools only issue letters for varsity team members but some have junior varsity letter awards as well. As junior varsity letter is usually smaller and worn above the left breast pocket of your team jacket which leaves room for the larger varsity letter below it.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

I got a score of 44. It is too Americanized.