Replies: 7564
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:29:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Thiel

Comic Con

Started by keeper, April 11, 2016, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie

My brother and I grew up in the country. We baled hay and had 3 cows. Riding our bikes and reading comics was our favorite past time. I used to love Archie comics.  My brother has the 2nd edition of Superman which is supposed to be very rare. At least I think he still has it lol
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"My brother and I grew up in the country. We baled hay and had 3 cows. Riding our bikes and reading comics was our favorite past time. I used to love Archie comics.  My brother has the 2nd edition of Superman which is supposed to be very rare. At least I think he still has it lol

Where did you grow up and when did you move to the city Annie?

Annie

I grew up in Langley, farm land. I moved to the outskirts of a city many years ago.  I don't really know why I moved to the city, it just sort of worked out that way. Maybe because everything was a lot closer and everything didn't smell like poo.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

shin

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "shin"I've always wanted to go to one of these Comic cons closer to home. I used to be an avid collector, but lost interest in the early 80s ended up selling my collection at a big loss, then I started collecting again when I saw what Jim Lee was doing with the X-men. They soon when to crap after the formation of Image and I stopped buying new books again, but I held onto what I was able to find this time around... about 500 books, mostly Marvel... nothing really worth more than Amazing Spider-man #300. The oldest would a fair copy of Uncanny X-men #94.

I often criticize the current state of the comic book industry online. They use retconning and alternate universe ideas way too often to work their ways out of unsolvable plots.

Yeah, many of the newer comic books have too much going on, too many characters, too many villains, too many sub-plots, too many 'behind-the-scenes' mind games to the point that it becomes a mish-mash and the whole thang becomes incoherent.

One of my favorite issues of all time, regardless of genre, brand or label, was Avengers #2 (1963):

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/avengers/2-1.jpg">

It's about a phantom-like creature who comes from outer space, lands on earth, and scares the heebie-jeebies out of the earthling population by assuming their physical identities. It doesn't matter that the characters are dressed in superhero costumes. The plot is very similar to today's movies or recent TV episodes. A villain has the ability to transform itself into a human likeness such as in Terminator 2:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8h8d2XLWKY

...so in this regard, the writers of the Avengers #2 story were quite advanced, and their ideas foreshadowed stories which would later appear to have borrowed (stole?) from them.

I think there were a lot of brilliant ideas in the plots of Silver Age comic books. Sometimes, they go overboard and forget they're fictitious story elements, especially when they try to incorporate scientific explanations for things like Tony Stark's technology, or how Reed Richards could possibly outsmart aliens that have made contact with many galaxies.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"I grew up in Langley, farm land. I moved to the outskirts of a city many years ago.  I don't really know why I moved to the city, it just sort of worked out that way. Maybe because everything was a lot closer and everything didn't smell like poo.

Mel Gibson lives in Langley..

Some people love farm life, Herman is one of them.

Annie

Oh I liked the farm life but with my allergies it was hell sometimes. I'm allergic to hay, cut grass, cottonwood trees (they're everywhere in Langley) ragweed etc. Ya, Mel lives in Langley, maybe even went to the same high school as me but I was a few years ahead so I highly doubt I even knew him lol

Anonymous

Quote from: "keeper"When my older brother found God he burnt everything!!! , Records , Comics..... EVERYTHING!

Comics are evil?

Anonymous

Quote from: "keeper"When my older brother found God he burnt everything!!! , Records , Comics..... EVERYTHING!

My tastes in music, television and movies changed after I got saved.

keeper

Quote from: "Herman"

Comics are evil?

No not evil I believe he just wanted to leave that life style behind him, shortly after he moved out (I got his room) and I didn't see much of him.

Annie

He could have at least given you the comics! I knew a neighbor when I was growing up who would make her son burn his comic books. I felt so bad for him  ac_crying And they weren't religious at all.

JOE

Quote from: "Annie"He could have at least given you the comics! I knew a neighbor when I was growing up who would make her son burn his comic books. I felt so bad for him  ac_crying And they weren't religious at all.

There was a time several decades ago when America went on this comic book burning craze. Some 'expert' convinced much of the United States that comic books were inherently evil, so thousands perhaps millions were trashed and then thrown into the bonfire:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0eINvmlAH6J6YRFZIVBJJxyVr8BObWmJuDZ8oEpnzlz4a7Zrb">

https://community.ebay.com/ebay01/attachments/ebay01/g-300001290/49122/1/comic-burning_est-Dec1948.jpg">

Subsequently, this decreased the existing supply of what would become future antiques. So today, quite a number of these issues are extremely scarce where just a handful, perhaps just a half a dozen of some titles exist today. This has conferred the rarity status and hence increased their desireability and value.

Annie

Ohmygawd, so sad  ac_crying So many lost hours of enjoyment lost in imagination with super powers.  acc_angry

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"He could have at least given you the comics! I knew a neighbor when I was growing up who would make her son burn his comic books. I felt so bad for him  ac_crying And they weren't religious at all.

My dad would have cried if someone burnt one of his Playboys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

My dad would have cried if someone burnt one of his Playboys.

ac_blush

shin

I tend to treat all books like they're something to be treasured, and I often feel bothered if I see someone has defaced, torn, or folded any of the pages.