Last post: Today at 01:25:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Guilty Pleasures

Started by Renee, April 11, 2016, 09:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Renee"
I find it interesting that the recorded studio version actually features members of the "wrecking crew" who went on to become Phil Specter's famed "Wall of Sound". In fact I believe guitar on that track is being played by Glenn Campbell.

It was a huge hit among "vanilla pop" audiences and has been covered by a ton of people.

Yes, it probably is Campbell.  It's also Carol Kaye (my heroine) on bass.  The Wrecking Crew is all over it...not surprising since they were the architects of the southern CA sound in that era.  The Cascades often performed with the Beach Boys, so they had the same connections in the music scene.

I'd post a clip or two but this is your thread and I'm not gonna jack it.  Your parents evidently are about my age or a couple of years younger...although my album collection is substantially different from theirs judging from these selections...nevertheless they are all comfortably familiar to me.

This is not exclusively my thread....... so post away. I look forward to seeing what you have.

As for my parents album collection, it is huge and wildly varied. So dont judge it by what you see here.  :laugh3:

In their collection you'll find everything from The Beatles to Benny Goodman to the Crazy World of Arther Brown to Bach's Concerto in D Minor. There is no rhyme or reason to it, just an eclectic love of music. Over the years they've spent a small fortune in records and CDs and the equipment to play them.

As a kid I would spend hours digging through there record collection. These selections are just some of the stuff that appealed to my taste as an 11 or 12 year old and I guess I never really out grew it. In fact I have an IPod full of stuff like this that I keep in my truck and listen to when I'm alone.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

">
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Renee

">

Renee

">

Renee

">

Renee

">

Renee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=RDcbxxkwBQk_o&params=OALAAQE%253D&v=cbxxkwBQk_o">https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=RDcbxx ... bxxkwBQk_o">https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=RDcbxxkwBQk_o&params=OALAAQE%253D&v=cbxxkwBQk_o

Renee

">

Renee

">

ELPHUPPHY

Oh God.. The last 10 songs poasted, I can sing along to and remember every word.

Wow.. I am old, old, old.

On the bright side, not as old as Peaches!

Renee

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"Oh God.. The last 10 songs poasted, I can sing along to and remember every word.

I remember the words too and I'm not that old, at least I used to think so before a few days ago. :mad:

The difference is, you probably remember when those songs were released. It must have been kind of an exciting time.  ac_smile

ELPHUPPHY

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"Oh God.. The last 10 songs poasted, I can sing along to and remember every word.

I remember the words too and I'm not that old, at least I used to think so before a few days ago. :mad:

The difference is, you probably remember when those songs were released. It must have been kind of an exciting time.  ac_smile

I remember listening to them on AM radio out of Detroit. It was a monumental revelation when I got an AM/FM converter for my first car and discovered the world of FM radio.

Renee

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"

I remember listening to them on AM radio out of Detroit. It was a monumental revelation when I got an AM/FM converter for my first car and discovered the world of FM radio.

Wow AM radio. :laugh3: I have some very early memories of WABC in NY but it was long past it's heyday and mostly talk radio.

ELPHUPPHY

Wow AM radio. :laugh3: I have some very early memories of WABC in NY but it was long past it's heyday and mostly talk radio.

LOL.. yeah, when I was but a child growing up, I could listen to the radio in my room. AM radio was all I could get.. FM radio was always pretty staticy and mostly useless. Ahh, the good old days. I used to go to a nearby radio station and hang out, watching the DJ play records thru a big plate-glass window. WSPD in Toledo, I think it was.

Renee

LOL.. yeah, when I was but a child growing up, I could listen to the radio in my room. AM radio was all I could get.. FM radio was always pretty staticy and mostly useless. Ahh, the good old days. I used to go to a nearby radio station and hang out, watching the DJ play records thru a big plate-glass window. WSPD in Toledo, I think it was.

I guessing it was a transistor radio.  :laugh3:

My dad had and may still have one in laying around the garage. I remember he used to have it on when he would be working on one of the classic junkers he would pick up now and then. It was a big square thing with a big tuner knob and extendable chrome antenna AND a removable brown leather cover. :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

As a kid I didn't think much of it....it was just a radio. But when I look back and compare it to what we have today. It was barely one step above 2 Dixie cups and a string. :laugh3:

Print
User actions