Replies: 8410
Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 01, 2024, 09:38:14 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Iron horse....

Started by RW, April 17, 2016, 12:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Would you mind if I asked you some questions about your job?  Or would you rather not talk about it?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Would you mind if I asked you some questions about your job?  Or would you rather not talk about it?

Absolutely RW. Fire away. I just hope I don't bore you to tears.

Anonymous

What part of your job do you like the least iron horse jockey?

RW

My train obsessed husband has beaten you to the punch.  (Just kidding.)

So my husband digs trains.  So much so, he converted one of our bedrooms into his train room where he has set up his models.  Anyway, he talks about train stuff abd some of it is a bit unbelievable.  He also has a habit of telling tall tales for shits and giggles, which I then repeat and look like an idiot.  That's the background for these questions.

1. Are you a conductor or an engineer?  What's the difference?  I've been told the conductor decides where the train goes/drives and the engineer gets it there.  True?

2. Is it true you are on call 24/7?

3. Is it true you aren't allowed vacation time until you reach a certain number of years/seniority?

4. Is it true you are not allowed to have a single drop of alcohol?  Your alcohol blood levels must be 0.00 at all times even when you are not working?

5. Why are there no more cabooses?

6. Are pennies on train tracks a serious risk for train derailment?

The last two are mine :)

Thanks!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"What part of your job do you like the least iron horse jockey?

Easily all the rules that Transport Canada makes us follow. Secondly, the culture of fear Hunter and the Americans brought in. It is a stressful work environment. I got 8 years left until I retire. It can't come soon enough.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"My train obsessed husband has beaten you to the punch.  (Just kidding.)

So my husband digs trains.  So much so, he converted one of our bedrooms into his train room where he has set up his models.  Anyway, he talks about train stuff abd some of it is a bit unbelievable.  He also has a habit of telling tall tales for shits and giggles, which I then repeat and look like an idiot.  That's the background for these questions.

1. Are you a conductor or an engineer?  What's the difference?  I've been told the conductor decides where the train goes/drives and the engineer gets it there.  True?

2. Is it true you are on call 24/7?

3. Is it true you aren't allowed vacation time until you reach a certain number of years/seniority?

4. Is it true you are not allowed to have a single drop of alcohol?  Your alcohol blood levels must be 0.00 at all times even when you are not working?

5. Why are there no more cabooses?

6. Are pennies on train tracks a serious risk for train derailment?

The last two are mine :)

Thanks!

I. I am an engineer. I am responsible for the locomotive. I started as a conductor. The conductor is responsible for all the cars in a train. Condoctors throw all switches. Cut out cars for delivery pick up cars handle all train paper work and all ommunication with the RTC.

2.Yes, I but have 26 years seniority and I am in a pool. I know within about 2 hours of when I am going on a trip.

3. No. At CP you get 2 weeks av after 1 year and 3 weeks after 3 years. I get 5 weeks av.

4.Yes. While on duty or on call you cannot touch alcohol. Most running trades employees drink,  but they know when they are going to be working. We can book 24 hours rest after each trip.

I was fired briefly in 1991 for drinking in a bunk house. If that happened today it would take a year to get my job back and onlly after going through a residential sobriety program.

5.Cabooses are obsloete except on work trains for ballast and distribution crews. We use TIBS now or EOT as Americans call them. Cabooses are an extra step when switching cars.

6.No. Coins flatten out on the track.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Fashionista"What part of your job do you like the least iron horse jockey?

Easily all the rules that Transport Canada makes us follow. Secondly, the culture of fear Hunter and the Americans brought in. It is a stressful work environment. I got 8 years left until I retire. It can't come soon enough.

Is that your company's new CEO?

It seems like an interesting job, but I guess like any job it has it's drawbacks.

Anonymous

Shareholder love Mr Harrison. But, I have heard that he runs his railways like a US Marine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Shareholders love Mr Harrison. But, I have heard that he runs his railways like a US Marine.

Farmers in Saskatchewan do not like him either. Unprofitable customers have been dumped.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "seoulbro"

Shareholders love Mr Harrison. But, I have heard that he runs his railways like a US Marine.

Farmers in Saskatchewan do not like him either. Unprofitable customers have been dumped.

CP would not carry grain at all if they had their way. The federal government forces us to haul grain.

RW

How far do you travel per trip?  Is there a limit? Do you go cross country?  Ever been to BC?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"How far do you travel per trip?  Is there a limit? Do you go cross country?  Ever been to BC?

Freight train trips are short. We go the length of a subdivision about 130 miles. We are allowed 3800 miles per month including bonus miles. Typically about 11 trips. Once i reach my mile limit I am off until the first day of the new month.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"How far do you travel per trip?  Is there a limit? Do you go cross country?  Ever been to BC?

Freight train trips are short. We go the length of a subdivision about 130 miles. We are allowed 3800 miles per month including bonus miles. Typically about 11 trips. Once i reach my mile limit I am off until the first day of the new month.

Bonus miles for length, switching and so on right?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Bonus miles for length, switching and so on right?

And a couple other things too.