Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Boycott Earls Restaurants Because they won't buy Canadian Beef

Started by Anonymous, April 28, 2016, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Regardless of whether or not their food is shitty, (never ate in one) I applaud their policy of using meat that is antibiotic free and without steroids and growth hormones.

I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, the ONLY thing I do see as wrong, is a boycott of a business based on the fact that their meat supplier can't meet the humane standards Earl's is looking for. It's tough toe nails as far as I'm concerned. If you think Earl's should be using Alberta raised beef then put the pressure on the Alberta cattle industry to raise their beef cows right.

Jesus Christ.....Forest for the trees...anyone?

This is just another stupid case of misplaced outrage. :t1929:

BTW, for a pretty laid back people, you Caunucks bitch about a lot of shit. Maybe you all need to go club some more seals and release some of that bad energy. :laugh3:

Creekstone Farms where they will buy their meat from is not much different than Alberta raised beef..

Alberta beef is as humane as that supplier, but that certification is an American thing..

The Alberta beef industry wanted time to get that certification..

But, our standards our actually higher than the USA with lower stress levels for animals..

Earls did not do any research on the matter.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"Regardless of whether or not their food is shitty, (never ate in one) I applaud their policy of using meat that is antibiotic free and without steroids and growth hormones.

I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, the ONLY thing I do see as wrong, is a boycott of a business based on the fact that their meat supplier can't meet the humane standards Earl's is looking for. It's tough toe nails as far as I'm concerned. If you think Earl's should be using Alberta raised beef then put the pressure on the Alberta cattle industry to raise their beef cows right.

BTW, for a pretty laid back people, you Caunucks bitch about a lot of shit. Maybe you all need to go club some more seals and release some of that bad energy. :laugh3:

Creekstone Farms where they will buy their meat from is not much different than Alberta raised beef..

Alberta beef is as humane as that supplier, but that certification is an American thing..

But, our standards our actually higher than the USA with lower stress levels for animals..

I'm sure they did their research. Business decisions in successful corporations are rarely done on a whim.

It appears that it's a matter of supply and demand. While I'm sure many beef growers in Alberta can meet the Humane standards, it looks like at this time there aren't enough to go around. I'm sure after this flap is over it will change.

Down the line new contracts will go out to bid and Alberta cows will get another shot at ending up as overpriced stew meat in a crappy chain restaurant.

BTW, while we are discussing this very important issue. I'm going to start a movement to boycott Applebee's. I'm more than a little concerned about how their poultry suppliers are raising birds for their boneless chicken wings. I think it's really cruel and immoral to be raising chickens without bones. How are those poor things supposed to stand up, FFS? :oeudC: :nea:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Earls acknowledges that Alberta beef is raised ethically. This all about that American certification that does not exist in Canada. Earls did not consult with Canadian beef producers who are willing to establish a similar Canadian system and that is the real slap in the face. This is the exact opposite of what A&W Canada did. They worked with the Canadian beef industry.

Renee

This article regarding the situation seems a bit more objective.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/earls-decision-a-slap-in-the-face-for-alberta-ranchers-but-some-experts-say-canadian-beef-industry-dropped-the-ball">//http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/earls-decision-a-slap-in-the-face-for-alberta-ranchers-but-some-experts-say-canadian-beef-industry-dropped-the-ball
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

The Canadian beef industry has not kept up with American standards? That is not true. If this certification is so important to Earls than producers in Canada should implement one ASAP and Earls can start buying Canadian beef again instead of from some massive factory farm in Kansas.

Renee

Quote from: "seoulbro"The Canadian beef industry has not kept up with American standards? That is not true. If this certification is so important to Earls than producers in Canada should implement one ASAP and Earls can start buying Canadian beef again instead of from some massive factory farm in Kansas.

Starting to get it.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

BTW, I'm not certain that it's a matter of being important to Earl's as much as Earl's thinks it's important to consumers. In which case they are probably right, especially in the more socially conscious markets. Corporate image is important.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "seoulbro"The Canadian beef industry has not kept up with American standards? That is not true. If this certification is so important to Earls than producers in Canada should implement one ASAP and Earls can start buying Canadian beef again instead of from some massive factory farm in Kansas.

BTW, I'm not certain that it's a matter of being important to Earl's as much as Earl's thinks it's important to consumers. In which case they are probably right, especially in the more socially conscious markets. Corporate image is important.

They should have consulted with Alberta beef producers first and given them time to develop similar certification.

Renee

They should have consulted with Alberta beef producers first and given them time to develop similar certification.

Yeah, in a perfect world.

Certified Humane certification has been in practice since the late 1990s in the US. The Canadian beef industry has had ample time to read the writing on the wall and follow suit.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.....that and $10 gets you a small latte at Starbucks. :laugh3:

Anonymous

Certified Humane certification has been in practice since the late 1990s in the US. Canada has had ample time to read the writing on the wall and follow suite.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.....that and $10 gets you a small latte at Starbucks. :laugh3:

But, we essentially do have it because customers demanded it.

Renee

Certified Humane certification has been in practice since the late 1990s in the US. Canada has had ample time to read the writing on the wall and follow suite.

"Essentially"?????

Do they have certification OR don't they?

Unfortunately Fash, just saying that you follow humane practices without have a 3rd party certification doesn't mean shit in the world of corporate governance or in a court of law.

It's all about marketing and covering your ass.

Anonymous

"Essentially"?????

Unfortunately Fash, just saying that you follow humane practices without have a 3rd party certification doesn't mean shit in the world of corporate governance or in a court of law.

We have third party Animal Welfare Approved Seal.

Anonymous

There are a lot of different certifications around and they are pretty similar.

Renee

"Essentially"?????

We have third party Animal Welfare Approved Seal.

Really, from where?

The cited article in the OP says you are in the "process" of developing the standards to meet Earl's needs.

Maybe the certifications currently available don't meet the needs of Earl's corporate requirements....In that case it is Earl's right to go out and seek beef that has a certification that meets their standards.

Anonymous

I am not sure who administers it, but I have heard of it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/competing-ethical-meat-standards-leave-alberta-beef-farmers-in-crossfire/article29796009/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e29796009/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/competing-ethical-meat-standards-leave-alberta-beef-farmers-in-crossfire/article29796009/

Colleen Biggs and her husband, Dylan, own an award-winning livestock operation in Alberta. TK Ranch produces beef without antibiotics, drugs, added hormones, animal by-products and chemical insecticides. The Biggs are even building their own abattoir to further ensure their black and red Angus cattle are treated well.

Their ranch has earned the Animal Welfare Approved seal indicating it produces ethical meat. It is regularly audited to make sure it meets AWA's standards, such as how many animals are permitted on a piece of pasture and how they are treated at the slaughterhouse.

TK Ranch would appear to sell the type of beef that Earls Restaurants Ltd. wants to serve. But Earls, a proudly Canadian chain of upscale casual eateries, will not serve steaks or burgers cut from cattle raised on TK Ranch and others like it in the Prairies. Earls has aligned itself with a competing program for certifying ethical meat – the Humane Farm Animal Care's Certified Humane program.

This week's decision to serve only Certified Humane beef sparked backlash in Canada, with some calling for a boycott of the chain. But Earls' strategy doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of TK Ranch's beef and processing practices. It reflects the lack of a uniform system for awarding ethical certificates.

There are many certification programs out there but in the end there are not major differences between them. Brandy Street, the manager of the British Columbia SPCA's certification program, said the ethical labelling business is getting crowded. But, at the same time, standards overlap.

"I definitely think the programs are similar," Ms. Street said about the SPCA and Certified Humane's guidelines.

"There are some competing certifications out there and it is making it so that no one certification comes out as more dominant."

Ms. Biggs says "there are lot of cattle producers in Alberta that would meet the Certified Humane standard. It is just that they haven't gone through the process of the certification system."

She believes AWA's requirements exceed Certified Humane's guidelines, both of which cover slaughter facilities. Earls, however, believes Certified Humane is the best out there for its 59 Canadian outlets and seven American joints.

The Donald

When I am president, I will always put the American beef farmer first.
Make America Great Again