Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

90% Canadians agree: it’s time to either reform or abolish the Senate

Started by Anonymous, May 03, 2016, 11:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

For RW and Fash, I posted this here because I thought it is about a poll than actual politics.

I don't think much will happen with the senate, but I too would like to see it abolished.

Oh and Mike Duffy is back in the senate.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2676890/90-canadians-agree-its-time-to-either-reform-or-abolish-the-senate/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2676890/90-ca ... he-senate/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2676890/90-canadians-agree-its-time-to-either-reform-or-abolish-the-senate/

As Sen. Mike Duffy is set to return to work Tuesday, an overwhelming number of Canadians say the Senate should be reformed or abolished according to a new poll.

The poll from the Angus Reid Institute released Tuesday found 55 per cent of respondents believe the Senate should be reformed, while another 39 per cent believe it should be abolished completely.

Just six per cent of Canadians think the Upper Chamber should be left alone.

Duffy returned to work Tuesday, nearly two weeks after he was acquitted of 31 charges including bribery, fraud and breach of trust almost two weeks ago and was spotted outside his office in Centre Block Monday.

Despite several changes made in the wake of Senate expense scandal that first broke in 2013 involving Duffy, Pamela Wallin, and Patrick Brazeau, the new data shows the damage to the public perception of the institution might be beyond repair.

Two-in-three Canadians (64%) say the Upper House is "too damaged to ever earn their goodwill," according to the poll.

Anonymous

It is not easy getting rid of it. But, if it goes, I won't be shedding any tears. That goes for a few government departments as well.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

ELPHUPPHY

While your discussion is about Canaduhian Congress, it readily applies to the American equivalent as well. Ours is a worthless drain on America, doing very little to nothing of any use. OF course, it will never be abolished because it is written into the Constitution and Congress itself would have to go along with the idea of disbanding itself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"While your discussion is about Canaduhian Congress, it readily applies to the American equivalent as well. Ours is a worthless drain on America, doing very little to nothing of any use. OF course, it will never be abolished because it is written into the Constitution and Congress itself would have to go along with the idea of disbanding itself.

Our senate is not elected.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"While your discussion is about Canaduhian Congress, it readily applies to the American equivalent as well. Ours is a worthless drain on America, doing very little to nothing of any use. OF course, it will never be abolished because it is written into the Constitution and Congress itself would have to go along with the idea of disbanding itself.

I prefer the US upper house over our own.

ELPHUPPHY

Quote from: "seoulbro"

All in all, a sad state of affairs

Anonymous

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"
Quote from: "seoulbro"

All in all, a sad state of affairs

An unelected senate like we have is much worse.

Anonymous

Taiwan has two houses too; the legislative yuan and the control yuan..

Are two houses really necessary?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Taiwan has two houses too; the legislative yuan and the control yuan..

I would prefer one house only like New Zealand has.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Taiwan has two houses too; the legislative yuan and the control yuan..

I would prefer one house only like New Zealand has.

They abolished their upper house. Their federal system is not like ours, so it's easier for them to make that change.