News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

My thoughts are with those up in Fort Mac.

Started by Blurt, May 04, 2016, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"Peaches, what do you think Seoul just did?

He exposed your dishonest editorial for the lies it is.

Um, not really.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"
QuoteI am still willing to hear any sort of rational refutation, or even an identification, of the (offensive) claims you label simply as "bullshit." As I've already said, I'm an educable man who has no predetermined agenda in this matter.

No, you are not or you would not be posting propaganda from Tides funded stooges.

Twelve million new trees planted despite booming population growth and deforestation. Fash and Shen Li live in that province. Herman has worked for years in the area. Did you really think you were going to fall as easily and as hard for this kind of ubiquitous misinformation as you have?

You realise Alberta is a fair size province and there is quite the distance between Calgary and the oil patch right?  There is a lesser distance but still once between Edmonton and the patch and even a bigger one between Saskatchewan and the patch.

Link up bro.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"^^Blaming the victim. Posting information from the one of many foreign funded anti Canadian oil blogs and sites? :crazy:  

That part of Alberta has planted tens of millions of trees. Save for the new clear cuts where cities now exist, it is has more trees today than a century ago. I will let you in on a little secret Canadians already know; when you see the inaccurate term "tarsands", you are reading propaganda. Our other heavy industries and workers are facing similar big money smear campaigns. Keep this in mind before you post Tom Steyer and Rockefeller financed dishonesty.

So I checked into things and here's what the Alberta Government has to say on this issue:

Mining disturbance in Alberta's oil sands region has significant land impacts. Industry is legally obligated to reclaim all disturbed land to a productive state, and return it to the Government of Alberta. Mines are often in operation for decades and reclamation activities on these sites can subsequently take decades to complete.

As the oil sands industry has matured, reclamation efforts are accelerating. As of December 31, 2013, about 82 square kilometres are under active reclamation, and significant investment by industry and government enables continual improvement in reclamation technology and techniques.

The oil sands underlie a 142,200 km2 area in northeastern Alberta. The oil sands surface mining area is limited to a 4,800 km2 region near Fort McMurray – 813 km2 was cleared, disturbed, or ready for reclamation as of December 31, 2013 (~0.2 per cent of Alberta's boreal forest).

About 82km2 is under active reclamation.

Industry has planted more than 12 million tree seedlings towards reclamation efforts.

80 per cent of the oil sands are accessible by in situ methods only (bitumen is separated from the sand underground and pumped to the surface).

In situ's land disturbance is 10 to 15 per cent of a similar sized mining operation and produces no tailings ponds.

http://www.oilsands.alberta.ca/reclamation.html">http://www.oilsands.alberta.ca/reclamation.html

Now THIS is how you respond to an article rather than getting defensively shrill.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

Um, not really.

Yes, he did and he was right too..

And I have been to North East Alberta..

I drove to an open camp North of Fort McMurray to meet my husband when he was on a job in the area..

Shen Li knows that area like the back of her hand..

I believe Herman has worked in that area too, but I'm not sure..

What does Peaches have?

A dishonest blog that receives funding and expertise from a giant US clearing house that takes advantage of our charitable status loopholes?

I too did not know whether to laugh or shake my head at his post.

kiebers

Now THIS is how you respond to an article rather than getting defensively shrill.

Exactly.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Um, not really.

Yes, he did and he was right too..

And I have been to North East Alberta..

I drove to an open camp North of Fort McMurray to meet my husband when he was on a job in the area..

Shen Li knows that area like the back of her hand..

I believe Herman has worked in that area too, but I'm not sure..

What does Peaches have?

A dishonest blog that receives funding and expertise from a giant US clearing house that takes advantage of our charitable status loopholes?

I too did not know whether to laugh or shake my head at his post.

Did you bother to follow the research path before you called off on said blog?  Have you bothered to look into it rather than just be a typical defensive Albertan who writes off every single environmental agency because they don't pat the oil sands on the back?

You oil types really have to stop getting all up in arms about anything anyone says that isn't sunshine and light about your precious oil sands.  It's an UGLY scar on the land and northern Alberta.  That's what industry looks like.  The FACT is they have cut down trees to carry out their operations, which they clearly do or there would be no need for reclamation projects.  This is all CONFIRMED by your own government.  

What is there to be up in arms about?
Beware of Gaslighters!

kiebers

That's what I wondered about as well. Get all bent out of shape instead of discussing rationally.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

QuoteMining disturbance in Alberta's oil sands region has significant land impacts.

All mining has a big land disturbance. But, mining in that industry has land footprint about half the size of the city of Edmonton.

The reason that solar power, wind power, and ethanol are so expensive is that they are derived from very diffuse energy sources. It takes a lot of energy collectors such as solar cells, wind turbines, or corn stalks covering many square miles of land to produce the same amount of power that traditional coal, natural gas, or nuclear plants can on just a few acres.

RW

Quote from: "kiebers"

That's what I wondered about as well. Get all bent out of shape instead of discussing rationally.

There is NO rational discussion when it comes to talking to Albertans about the damn oil patch.

I grew up in an industry town.  I KNOW first hand what the environmental (and human) consequences are of not maintaining a close eye on mining related industry.  Why anyone fights stewardship is beyond me.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"
QuoteMining disturbance in Alberta's oil sands region has significant land impacts.

All mining has a big land disturbance. But, mining in that industry has land footprint about half the size of the city of Edmonton.

The reason that solar power, wind power, and ethanol are so expensive is that they are derived from very diffuse energy sources. It takes a lot of energy collectors such as solar cells, wind turbines, or corn stalks covering many square miles of land to produce the same amount of power that traditional coal, natural gas, or nuclear plants can on just a few acres.

Okay, so you are agreeing that mining has a big land disturbance, thus SUPPORTING what Peaches posted.

:001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:  :001_rolleyes:
Beware of Gaslighters!

kiebers

Anonymous

There is NO rational discussion when it comes to talking to Albertans about the damn oil patch.

I grew up in an industry town.  I KNOW first hand what the environmental (and human) consequences are of not maintaining a close eye on mining related industry.  Why anyone fights stewardship is beyond me.

We are not talking about the oil patch..

We are asking why would Peaches post a blatantly dishonest editorial from a source that receives funding to tar and feather an industry of Canada?

It is like Elizabeth May using the tragedy to for political purposes..

But, there is not rational discussion with British Columbians when it the darn environment.

Besides, this is really not the time for such thoughtless agendas..

Our opposition leader in the Alberta legislature said the temporary shut down of production in that area shaved about one half of one per cent off of our GDP.

Would a wild fire that temporarily halted production of cars in Ontario have politicians and billionaire funded non government organizations writing editorials saying they brought it on themselves while people are suffering?

Anonymous

QuoteWould a wild fire that temporarily halted production of cars in Ontario have politicians and billionaire funded non government organizations writing editorials saying they brought it on themselves while people are suffering?

Hell no. The praise of that industry would flow. Which is ironic because they are dependent on the petrochemical industry.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

We are not talking about the oil patch..

We are asking why would Peaches post a blatantly dishonest editorial from a source that receives funding to tar and feather an industry of Canada?

It is like Elizabeth May using the tragedy to for political purposes..

But, there is not rational discussion with British Columbians when it the darn environment.

Besides, this is really not the time for such thoughtless agendas..

Our opposition leader in the Alberta legislature said the temporary shut down of production in that area shaved about one half of one per cent off of our GDP.

Would a wild fire that temporarily halted production of cars in Ontario have politicians and billionaire funded non government organizations writing editorials saying they brought it on themselves while people are suffering?

And he did that how?  By posting an article linked to RESEARCH about trees in the oil patch?

Playing the "think of the fire victims" card is just dishonest.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous