Replies: 10547
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 04, 2024, 10:46:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

A

Woman suing Starbucks, after discovering Ice in her Iced Coffee

Started by Anonymous, May 04, 2016, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

This turned out to be a heavily discussed topic on another forum, so I'm trying it here.   :confused1:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/starbucks-iced-coffee-contains-too-much-ice-not-enough-coffee/article_543207ea-248b-5398-8196-f4a40cc0f070.html">//http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/starbucks-iced-coffee-contains-too-much-ice-not-enough-coffee/article_543207ea-248b-5398-8196-f4a40cc0f070.html

QuoteAn Illinois woman has filed suit against Starbucks, claiming that the coffee chain is "underfilling" its cold beverages, duping customers and serving drinks that contain less coffee than advertised.

"Starbucks is misleading customers who expect to receive the advertised amount of fluid ounces," states the class-action lawsuit, filed last week in federal court. "For example, if a gallon of gas is advertised as costing three dollars, and a customer pays three dollars and pumps gas, that customer is expecting to receive a gallon of gas — not approximately half a gallon."

I, Peaches, feel the suit is frivolous and without merit.  Others seem to think there is a valid consumer protection issue involved.  

I await your thoughts.

Renee

Incidents like this make me believe that individuals like the plaintiff should be publicly whipped directly after filing their lawsuit.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

cc

I'm with you on that, but a novice at this sort of thing. I do know that there are many varieties and variations of whips

Do you have any specific favorite in mind?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

RW

I think there is a legitimate complaint here.  I think people should know what they are buying and if their coffee comes in 10 fl.oz less than what is advertised, they should be made aware of this so they can make the appropriate decisions when making purchases.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"I think there is a legitimate complaint here.  I think people should know what they are buying and if their coffee comes in 10 fl.oz less than what is advertised, they should be made aware of this so they can make the appropriate decisions when making purchases.

That kind of thinking is why you see warning labels on toilet brushes that read "Not for Personal Hygiene".

:oeudC:

Truth is, anyone that buys shit from Starbucks is a moron. Their iced coffees and fagachinos are full of sugary corn syrup and artificial flavoring. Starbucks should just list their cup sizes as small, med, large, etc. That way dipshit bitches like the plaintiff can get their overdose of caffeine and corn syrup without ever knowing how close they are to contracting diabetes.

Worrying this badly about how much syrup laden crap gets displaced by some ice cubes, means you're a fucking sow.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Incidents like this make me believe that individuals like the plaintiff should be publicly whipped directly after filing their lawsuit.

I also think the judge should dismiss the case with prejudice, and kick the plaintiff's attorney down AT LEAST half a flight of stairs.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"I think there is a legitimate complaint here.  I think people should know what they are buying and if their coffee comes in 10 fl.oz less than what is advertised, they should be made aware of this so they can make the appropriate decisions when making purchases.

That kind of thinking is why you see warning labels on toilet brushes that read "Not for Personal Hygiene".

Truth is, anyone that buys shit from Starbucks is a moron. Their iced coffees and fagachinos are full of sugary corn syrup and artificial flavoring. Starbucks should just list their cup sizes as small, med, large, etc. That way dipshit bitches like the plaintiff can get their overdose of caffeine and corn syrup without ever knowing how close they are to contracting diabetes.

Worrying this badly about how much syrup laden crap gets displaced by some ice cubes, means you're a fucking sow.

Yes yes we all know Starbucks is shit but that doesn't give them the right to rip people off then kick them in the proverbial balls too.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"

Yes yes we all know Starbucks is shit but that doesn't give them the right to rip people off then kick them in the proverbial balls too.

Please stop......In most cases people get ripped off because they are stupid. This situation is an example of that. Being stupid doesn't give you a right to complain.

@realAzhyaAryola

But where does one draw the line? Should I have sued the Japanese restaurant where I ordered Shrimp Noodles to find there were only 4 pieces of shrimp in it and the small kind too? This restaurant used to wow patrons and then it closed and fell into the hands of new owners. The new menu leaves a lot to be desired. The wow factor is gone. ac_beating
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

RW

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"But where does one draw the line? Should I have sued the Japanese restaurant where I ordered Shrimp Noodles to find there were only 4 pieces of shrimp in it and the small kind too? This restaurant used to wow patrons and then it closed and fell into the hands of new owners. The new menu leaves a lot to be desired. The wow factor is gone. ac_beating

Does it advertise tons of big, juicy shrimp in its noodles?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Please stop......In most cases people get ripped off because they are stupid. This situation is an example of that. Being stupid doesn't give you a right to complain.

So it's okay to get ripped off and if you're stupid, you have no right to complain?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

So it's okay to get ripped off and if you're stupid, you have no right to complain?

Okay, I will put it to you this way...how long are we, as a society, going to continue to cater to the lowest common denominator? How long are we going to allow stupid people to abuse the court system? If you get ripped off because you are stupid, do you think it should become someone else's problem or do you think you should have at least a modicum of personal responsibility?

This woman......no idiot, is seeking five....FIVE.....million in damages because she feels cheated that ice displaced some cup space in her shitty iced coffee. Does that sound like a valid reason for a 5 million dollar lawsuit to you? If you say yes, then you are part of the problem.

Anonymous

That is how I see it too.

Anonymous

What bothers me about this is, Starbucks is not advertising or offering "24 ounces of coffee, iced."  They are offering "iced coffee in a 24 ounce cup," and not even promising the cup will be full (although a reasonable fullness is implied.)

Anyone who has ever drunk iced coffee knows already that to ice 24 ounces of coffee you are going to need ICE, a fair amount of it depending on the starting temperature of the coffee.  

If you go to (let's say) a Carl's Jr. and order a large Coke, you may or may not know that their cup size will be 40 ounces.  But you WILL surely know that the cup will be about half full of ice cubes when they start pumping Coke into it...so there will be room for only SO MUCH Coke, and it sure as hell won't be forty ounces of Coke you get.  Forty ounces of BEVERAGE, yes.  Carl's even tells you in the [size=85]fine print[/size] that this drink will have 330 calories, and in the [size=50]even finer print[/size] that your drink will contain approximately 1/3 ice by volume and the nutritional value is calculated based on that.  

However, if you need the fine print to tell you what you already know...that it works this same way in every fast food restaurant in the land, there COULD be something odd about your cognitive skills.