Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Woman suing Starbucks, after discovering Ice in her Iced Coffee

Started by Anonymous, May 04, 2016, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"If the drink is already cold, why do they need an entire cup of ice to go with it?

**IS** the drink already cold?  I missed that.

They say in their consumer info materials that the iced coffee drinks are approximately 1/3 ice by volume.  Doesn't seem very deceptive to me.

Try this experiment.  

Boil some water and pour it (at a temp of 180+ degrees) over some ice cubes.  See if you can figure out how many ice cubes it will take to get the water down to 50 degrees, or preferably a bit less, and still have enough ice cubes left to keep the drink cold for at least half an hour.

RW

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "RW"If the drink is already cold, why do they need an entire cup of ice to go with it?

**IS** the drink already cold?  I missed that.

They say in their consumer info materials that the iced coffee drinks are approximately 1/3 ice by volume.  Doesn't seem very deceptive to me.

Try this experiment.  

Boil some water and pour it (at a temp of 180+ degrees) over some ice cubes.  See if you can figure out how many ice cubes it will take to get the water down to 50 degrees, or preferably a bit less, and still have enough ice cubes left to keep the drink cold for at least half an hour.

Yes, the iced coffee mix is already cold.  They don't pour hot coffee over ice.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"Yes, the iced coffee mix is already cold.  They don't pour hot coffee over ice.

Man am I glad to hear that.  ac_unsure

Anonymous

Let's not make something straightforward complicated. An iced drink's cup contained ice. A multi-million dollar lawsuit was launched.

RW

Quote from: "Herman"Let's not make something straightforward complicated. An iced drink's cup contained ice. A multi-million dollar lawsuit was launched.

Again, the issue isn't if it contains ice or not but how much ice it contains and if the amount of ice constitutes false advertising a DRINK and if it is in turn ripping people off.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Herman"Let's not make something straightforward complicated. An iced drink's cup contained ice. A multi-million dollar lawsuit was launched.

Again, the issue isn't if it contains ice or not but how much ice it contains and if the amount of ice constitutes false advertising a DRINK and if it is in turn ripping people off.

Sure, sure, I am going to sue A&W because the milkshake the wife had contained too much milk. :laugh3:

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

shin

There's no doubt that this is a frivolous lawsuit along the lines of the Subway suit that criticized them for not actually selling footlong subs... however, there are unwritten expectations when you buy a product in a first world country that wouldn't automatically be defended by law.

The only reason I'm going to sort of agree with Renee's opinion on this one is because Starbucks has a widely understood policy of making the customer another drink if they feel like the one they bought is less than satisfactory. A lot of large chain restaurants have a customer satisfaction policy, and despite the grounds for this class action lawsuit they probably aren't going out of their way to giv e you more ice than necessary.

I've worked at a restaurant, and I've seen both sides of this, glasses designed to hold less liquid than it appears and customers complain about not having enough ice in their drink. Though you can never please everybody, we are being conditioned to be greedier than generations of the past.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"There's no doubt that this is a frivolous lawsuit along the lines of the Subway suit that criticized them for not actually selling footlong subs... however, there are unwritten expectations when you buy a product in a first world country that wouldn't automatically be defended by law.

The only reason I'm going to sort of agree with Renee's opinion on this one is because Starbucks has a widely understood policy of making the customer another drink if they feel like the one they bought is less than satisfactory. A lot of large chain restaurants have a customer satisfaction policy, and despite the grounds for this class action lawsuit they probably aren't going out of their way to giv e you more ice than necessary.

I've worked at a restaurant, and I've seen both sides of this, glasses designed to hold less liquid than it appears and customers complain about not having enough ice in their drink. Though you can never please everybody, we are being conditioned to be greedier than generations of the past.

Whatever happened with the footlong Subway suit?

Are their subs now a footlong or are they still eleven inches?

ELPHUPPHY

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "shin"There's no doubt that this is a frivolous lawsuit along the lines of the Subway suit that criticized them for not actually selling footlong subs... however, there are unwritten expectations when you buy a product in a first world country that wouldn't automatically be defended by law.

Are there subs now a footlong or are they still eleven inches?

Cold subs are always a good 2 inches shorter than warm subs.

Shrinkage, ya know  :yahoo:

Anonymous

The parties settled.  

Part of the problem was that Subway provides frozen sandwich rolls to its franchisees, and they are supposed to thaw and stretch before baking.  Due to quality control issues it is possible to get a baked roll that is less than 12 inches long, but still has the same amount of ingredients.

Subway agreed to institute new quality control procedures and provide all licensees with a "measuring device."  In addition, they paid the legal costs and gave each of the ten plaintiffs $500.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

The parties settled.  

Part of the problem was that Subway provides frozen sandwich rolls to its franchisees, and they are supposed to thaw and stretch before baking.  Due to quality control issues it is possible to get a baked roll that is less than 12 inches long, but still has the same amount of ingredients.

Subway agreed to institute new quality control procedures and provide all licensees with a "measuring device."  In addition, they paid the legal costs and gave each of the ten plaintiffs $500.

Thanks, I did not know that..

We used to know someone that owned two Subway franchises too.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"

ac_toofunny

RW

Wasn't there a suit of some type already around ice in drinks?  Companies filling cups too full of ice or charging extra for no ice.  I'm going to have to dig that up.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "ELPHUPPHY"

Now that's funny!  Hahaha!
Beware of Gaslighters!